Fiberglass Dilemma - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-18-2013, 06:01 PM   #1

Name: Ashley
Trailer: 1986 Uhaul CT
Utah
Fiberglass Dilemma

Ok, I need some input ASAP. Someone 20 minutes from my house (NEVER HAPPENS) is selling a Scamp 16' with bunks and a bathroom. It's exactly what I want. I currently own a UHaul 13' (that we drove for two days to bring home) and I LOVE it, but wish it had a bathroom and more storage.

The dilemma: It's listed for $7000 and it's an '86. It doesn't have an awning like our 13'. Our UHaul has no leaks, but also doesn't have a furnace or a functioning AC. I think he's asking way too much based on what I've seen listed online elsewhere, but it's in great shape. What would you offer for the Scamp? What's a reasonable price for that year/layout and in good shape? I really don't want to pay nearly double to have a bathroom and a little more kitchen space... and NOT have an awning. Ugh, decision..

Here's his description:

This is an awesome 16' Scamp, clean, no smoking. Comes with:

Single lp gas tank
Battery
Screen door
Air Conditioner
Furnace and thermostat
12v-110v-gas refrigerator
Shower/toilet with gas hot water
Sleeps -4
2 Mounted Jacks in Rear
Front Bunks
12v Water Pump
Dinette Booth Converts to Bed
Electric brakes
3 burner gas stove

Cash only
Tuanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 06:56 PM   #2

Trailer: 87 Scamp 13 ft
If it is as awesome as you think , buy it Now because tomorrow it may not be there.
JOE DRISSEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 07:05 PM   #3

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Oh, oh.
Threefootitis is worse than twofootitis. You already know what you have.

Go check it out with the buyers check list in hand. There is no mention of tires or axle replacements.
Come up with a price you are happy with, including the cost of an awning which seems important to you. Make an offer.

There is an unwritten law of fiberglass trailers, others seem to come up for sale more often once you already own one.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 07:43 PM   #4

Name: Drew
Trailer: 1987 Scamp 16ft, Layout 4
Minnesota
I own a very similar scamp, purchased in September 2012 for $6200.

87, same layout. Only difference is I have an awning, I know I need a new axle in the next few years, tires are fairly new, and the door is not original.

I feel my wife and I got a good deal, based on... I love our scamp and the purchase timing worked out well. Got the features I can't add myself and have the rest of the scamps life to play with it :-)
DrewSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 07:54 PM   #5

Utah
If he would take $6200 I think I'd go for it. It has upgraded custom cabinets and a wood floor, but other than that, nothing super special to make it worth the extra $800. We took a look at it just now and told him there are numerous 16' scamps, same year online for $3,900 to $6000 and if he's willing to get to that area we'd go for it. Someone else is looking at it tonight though so I'm not holding my breath (but kinda..)
Old 07-18-2013, 08:10 PM   #6

Name: Mitchell
Trailer: Shopping
Ontario
Offer

[QUOTE=Tuanis;404086]Ok, I need some input ASAP. Someone 20 minutes from my house (NEVER HAPPENS) is selling a Scamp 16' with bunks and a bathroom. It's exactly what I want. I currently own a UHaul 13' (that we drove for two days to bring home) and I LOVE it, but wish it had a bathroom and more storage.

The dilemma: It's listed for $7000 and it's an '86. It doesn't have an awning like our 13'. Our UHaul has no leaks, but also doesn't have a furnace or a functioning AC. I think he's asking way too much based on what I've seen listed online elsewhere, but it's in great shape. What would you offer for the Scamp? What's a reasonable price for that year/layout and in good shape? I really don't want to pay nearly double to have a bathroom and a little more kitchen space... and NOT have an awning. Ugh, decision..

Make an offer for say $5000 or what you feel comfortable with. This means someone else will have to pay more if they want it. Make offer good for 1 month and maybe longer when offer runs out. Tell seller to call you if he gets an offer so you might want to offer more.
RETIRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 08:19 PM   #7

Name: Ron
Trailer: 2008 13' Scamp
British Columbia
Compared to the Scamp 16 listing in OR for 4500 that includes several new appliances as well as a new axle it looks overpriced to me.
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 08:27 PM   #8

Trailer: Toyota Sunrader and 16 ft Scamp
Send a message via AIM to Perry J Send a message via Yahoo to Perry J
He will get his price.
Will it be you or someone else?
Perry J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 09:19 PM   #9

Name: asdf
Trailer: asdf
Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy in TO View Post
There is an unwritten law of fiberglass trailers, others seem to come up for sale more often once you already own one.

Ain't that the truth. I looked for months. Finally bought one 800 miles away and now they are coming out of the woodwork.
jwcolby54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 09:39 PM   #10

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Personally I think it's a bit pricey, but honestly if someone is willing to pay his asking price than guess it's not too pricey! You can find some 90's and even 2000's not much more than $7000

Take the buyers check list and go over it with a fine tooth comb. Then make a offer!
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 09:52 PM   #11

Utah
I'm sure he will find a buyer at the price he is asking. A bathroom and some extra cupboard space isn't worth the additional $3k for me. (And I've become attached to my little Uhaul...)
Old 07-19-2013, 04:41 AM   #12

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
These are worth exactly what someone is willing to pay for them.

I do know that any trailer even close to a fair price will not wait for you to be sold,especially now during the height of camping season and in an area where they do not sell very often.

I imagine you already know this though or it would not be a Dilemma?

Also how can we really comment with no pictures?
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 05:14 AM   #13

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
From my obsevations, as both a buyer and a seller, I can see that there are at least two different kinds of buyers, Those driven by the head (aka: thinkers) and those driven by the heart (aka: dreamers).

Most hereabouts are the former and we have to compete with the latter.

The former see the axle and tires that need replacement, the outdated lp tank and the goop smeared all over the roof vents and start subtacting from the asking price.

The latter see their FGRV parked beside a mountain lake and start counting out the Ben Franklins even before discovering that they don't even have a suitableTV.

This time of year,the dreamers want instant gratification and will overspend to get that dream. For the thinkers it's a bad time to compete.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 07:50 AM   #14

Name: asdf
Trailer: asdf
Alabama
That is so true, buying during camping season is always a recipe for paying more. Unless you stumble on a deal and snap it up. IMO this one is not a deal.

Proximity is worth $X / mile of course so factor that in. I have to get 800 miles away to get mine. That's days of driving (my time), gas and all of that.
jwcolby54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 08:27 AM   #15

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
Thinker vs. Dreamer..........

This applies everywhere.
My cousin and I went to an auction to pick up some calves.
We found the one we wanted but there was a woman who
kept going on about how "cute" the calf was. When it came
to the block we bid on it and then she began bidding.

Needless to say we quit bidding because it was obvious she
thought of that calf as a new pet.

During camp season or boat season it can be a sellers market.
carlkeigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 11:21 AM   #16

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
Would it be a deal if it was 500 miles away at $6000 and you had to go pick it up and drive back and then deal with interstate transfers and out of state registration fees? Would camping this summer be worth the $500 difference to you. The first time you drive a long ways for a real deal and its sold out from under you, you will rethink that $1000 difference. Your lucky its close you and have nothing invested, You can take the time to check everything out and if you dont like it you can easily walk awy or reneogicate a price. For that price everything should work and look proper all maintance and proper paperwork should be done and in the sellers name and be current. I do value my money and thats alot of money but the error isnt so large that it cant be absorbed if you had to sell later at a loss. its not like a project that never gets finished.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote