Fiberglass NestEgg Question for Donna D. - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 02-13-2018, 06:20 PM   #15

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
That's how I understand it too- chop gun or hand laid, although I don't know of any commercially manufactured molded trailers that are hand laid, other than a few spots here and there- joints and reinforcements. The key indicator is the use of large molds, typically but not always two, to form the main outer shell.

Some also mold the interior, either as large inner shell pieces (Oliver and Eggcamper) or as individual components (Scamp and Casita), but that is not a requirement to earn the designation all-molded.

Old 02-14-2018, 01:18 AM   #16

Name: K C
Trailer: 1980 18' Sunrader Motorhome and 1971 Trailswest Campster
Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Ron View Post
What is the criteria for molded? If the fiberglass is chopped and sprayed or layered with fiberglass cloth, both are done in a mold. I undrdstand forming a trailer from ready made sheets of FPR would not be a molded unit.
The criteria for being "molded" would be a trailer that was formed inside of a or occasionally "but not seen nearly as often" over the outside of a mold...hence the descriptive word "molded". No mold involved in the process means it is not a molded trailer.

Old 02-14-2018, 04:12 AM   #17

Name: Peter
Trailer: G30 Elite Class C
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkinna View Post
Thanks Deb for the clarification! I knew our Uhaul and Escape were two halves molded together, just wasn't sure about that being the original criteria. We will definitely post some pictures after I paint it, per usual for me.
:Kim can you do us all a favor and load some pictures of outside and inside your Nestegg so we all can see what you have.
Peter
Old 02-14-2018, 07:50 AM   #18

Arizona
Registry
I received a PM suggesting that the NestEgg is in fact molded. I took a closer look at web photos, and zooming in reveals no indication of seams along the edges. So it appears you may still be "one of us" after all (for what that's worth... LOL).

The same PM also suggested one well-known molded manufacturer hand lays their shells rather than spraying. Frankly, I would have though it cost-prohibitive for such large molds, but I'd love to be wrong. Does anyone know for a fact whether any molded trailers are hand laid (other than spot reinforcement)?
Old 02-14-2018, 02:41 PM   #19

Name: Orlen
Trailer: Eggcamper 2007 ('Wolf's Lair')
Colorado
Another Molded Teardrop

Another molded teardrop is the "TearDropp" made by Jim at EggCamper. It is quite a bit bigger than a "normal" teardrop trailer but has the same lines. You can almost stand up in one. Also the hatch to the rear galley is a lot higher, so much so that you could drive a motorcycle or ATV in (after removing the galley of course). I've only seen a couple of them "in the wild" but did get a good look inside and out when I picked up my new EggCamper back in 2007. I think several of them were bought by military Morale, Recreation and Wellfare facilities to use as rental units. They replaced the 13' and 16' Scamps. Unfortunately Jim isn't currently making EggCampers or TearDropps. Hopefully he will resume production in the future.
Old 02-15-2018, 07:09 AM   #20

Arizona
Registry
Fiberglass NestEgg Question for Donna D.

Orlen, have you run across a picture of an EggCamper Tear Dropp? My searching turned up empty. I visited Jim's website a number of times since entering the molded fiberglass world in 2012 and never saw any mention of it, either.

Very interesting.
Old 02-15-2018, 07:15 AM   #21
Raz

Name: Raz
Trailer: Trillium 2010
Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Orlen, have you run across a picture of an EggCamper Tear Dropp? My searching turned up empty. I visited Jim's website a number of times since entering the molded fiberglass world in 2012 and never saw any mention of it, either.

Very interesting.
TEARDROP
Old 02-15-2018, 07:28 AM   #22

Arizona
Registry
Thanks, Raz. Don't know how I missed that!

I sure hope the right person comes along to take over the EggCamper operation. Lots of potential in those designs.
Old 02-15-2018, 07:43 AM   #23

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkinna View Post
....My question for Donna D. is if the NestEgg qualifies to still be a member with this forum? (I surely hope so). I noticed that there is no information under "manufacturers" on the NestEgg, though it is the only commercially built fiberglass teardrop that I know (but no longer being produced?).
I'm not Donna and don't speak for the forum or site, but I can tell you that the requirement to be a member is given when you join. The pertinent part is this:

Registering and participating at Fiberglassrv.com constitutes agreement to abide by the Social Knowledge Network Terms of Service (Social Knowledge is the company that owns this forum). We reserve the right to modify these rules at any time without giving you prior notice.

There is no charge for joining this Forum and we're glad you're here! This is a community of individuals who share a common interest in molded fiberglass travel trailers.

Thats it - no ownership requirement, only an agreement to follow the rules.

Many members do not, have not, and some maybe will not own a molded fiberglass camper yet are still valued members of the community.
Old 02-15-2018, 10:26 AM   #24

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1977, 1978 (2), 1300 - 1977, 1973, and a 1972
Alberta
Registry
J Ron, I totally agree. As long as a mold is used, it is molded fibreglass. Did you mean FRP, (Fibreglass Reinforced Plastic)?
Old Yesterday, 09:57 AM   #25

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 2012 Chevy Silverado
Michigan
You can google EggCamper and get photos inside and outside of the EggCamper Teardropp trailer. When I visited the factory I was able to look over the Teardropp. Its larger than a typical teardrop.