Fiberglass NestEgg Question for Donna D. - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-12-2018, 07:46 PM   #1

Name: Kim
Trailer: Uhaul
California
Registry
Fiberglass NestEgg Question for Donna D.

Hi all! We have our Escape 15A listed for sale, and are picking up a 2014 NestEgg next weekend. My question for Donna D. is if the NestEgg qualifies to still be a member with this forum? (I surely hope so). I noticed that there is no information under "manufacturers" on the NestEgg, though it is the only commercially built fiberglass teardrop that I know (but no longer being produced?).
California Bay Area
kkinna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 07:55 PM   #2

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2018 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB SuperCrew
Arkansas
Registry
Not Donna, but I don't know of any "qualifications" to be a member of this forum. All are welcome. Your NestEgg may not be entirely molded fiberglass, but who cares?
Old 02-12-2018, 08:03 PM   #3

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
I agree welcome... just be sure to post plenty of pictures
alan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 08:29 PM   #4

California
Registry
I have been a member here for awhile. Just don't want to not get into the discussions and rallies.
California Bay Area
Old 02-12-2018, 08:30 PM   #5

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Welcome Kim!
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 08:38 PM   #6

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
yep

you are certainly welcome here I don't know where she comes from on this site.

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 09:35 PM   #7

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2018 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB SuperCrew
Arkansas
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by k0wtz View Post
you are certainly welcome here I don't know where she comes from on this site.

bob
Where who comes from Bob?
Old 02-13-2018, 05:34 AM   #8

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
The myPod is another commercially produced, teardrop size, all-molded fiberglass trailer. It's smaller than the typical teardrop, though, and lacks the usual rear clamshell galley.

I can't tell if the NestEgg is all-molded or not, but one old thread (http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...omb-73856.html) mentioned "honeycomb" construction and "composite." I hope Donna chimes in- if anyone would know more about the NestEgg's construction, it is she. Kim, I'd love to hear more and see some photos of yours.

As to participation in the forum and related activities, you would be very welcome, as others have said. In the end, there is no ownership requirement, just an interest in and enthusiasm for "all-molded fiberglass towables."

Sounds like you are down-sizing a bit. Happy travels!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 09:04 AM   #9

California
Registry
NestEgg has moved to Idaho and seems to be back in production. Their trailers are man of manufactured composite fiberglass: layers of fiberglass never a fiberglass honeycomb. Guess that doesn't mean molded, but all fiberglass construction. In excited to bring it home!
California Bay Area
Old 02-13-2018, 09:05 AM   #10

California
Registry
Hate auto correct! Man made over ....
California Bay Area
Old 02-13-2018, 10:13 AM   #11

Arizona
Registry
That doesn't sound molded to me, either, but I hope you'll stay connected on FGRV. Share some photos when you get her home.

I think a true all-molded teardrop would be possible, practical, and way cool. I am seeing a swooping shape, molded-in, retro-style wheel fenders and clamshell doors sides and back. The divider between the sleeping compartment and galley would provide structural support. Any why not a honeycomb fiberglass floor?...

Sounds like you have the next best thing!
Old 02-13-2018, 10:22 AM   #12
Commercial Member

Trailer: We have had all the brands at least once.
Forum

Not Donna D. either, but this forum has everybody and everything on it. When it started years ago and was owned by someone else it was supposed to be "molded fiberglass exclusive trailers" ( meaning the 2 halves were produced in a mold- not sheet fiberglass), and you had to have that to attend a meet. Most all the meets in the PCNW aren't like that anymore except some that are even brand exclusive. I am sure you can continue to be a member here if you wish but might find some of the teardrop forums more helpful. As for the manufactures listed on the top tab- those are all true molded fiberglass brands only made in molds. I thought you might be talking about getting a new "Nest" caravan by Airstream but I see it is a teardrop.

Deb
Deb & Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 12:05 PM   #13

California
Registry
Thanks Deb for the clarification! I knew our Uhaul and Escape were two halves molded together, just wasn't sure about that being the original criteria. We will definitely post some pictures after I paint it, per usual for me.
California Bay Area
Old 02-13-2018, 05:40 PM   #14

Name: J Ronald
Trailer: Casita 17 ft. Liberty Deluxe
North Carolina
Molded fiberglass

What is the criteria for molded? If the fiberglass is chopped and sprayed or layered with fiberglass cloth, both are done in a mold. I undrdstand forming a trailer from ready made sheets of FPR would not be a molded unit.
J Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 06:20 PM   #15

Arizona
Registry
That's how I understand it too- chop gun or hand laid, although I don't know of any commercially manufactured molded trailers that are hand laid, other than a few spots here and there- joints and reinforcements. The key indicator is the use of large molds, typically but not always two, to form the main outer shell.

Some also mold the interior, either as large inner shell pieces (Oliver and Eggcamper) or as individual components (Scamp and Casita), but that is not a requirement to earn the designation all-molded.
Old 02-14-2018, 01:18 AM   #16

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Ron View Post
What is the criteria for molded? If the fiberglass is chopped and sprayed or layered with fiberglass cloth, both are done in a mold. I undrdstand forming a trailer from ready made sheets of FPR would not be a molded unit.
The criteria for being "molded" would be a trailer that was formed inside of a or occasionally "but not seen nearly as often" over the outside of a mold...hence the descriptive word "molded". No mold involved in the process means it is not a molded trailer.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 04:12 AM   #17

Name: Peter
Trailer: G30 Elite Class C
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkinna View Post
Thanks Deb for the clarification! I knew our Uhaul and Escape were two halves molded together, just wasn't sure about that being the original criteria. We will definitely post some pictures after I paint it, per usual for me.
:Kim can you do us all a favor and load some pictures of outside and inside your Nestegg so we all can see what you have.
Peter
stude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 07:50 AM   #18

Arizona
Registry
I received a PM suggesting that the NestEgg is in fact molded. I took a closer look at web photos, and zooming in reveals no indication of seams along the edges. So it appears you may still be "one of us" after all (for what that's worth... LOL).

The same PM also suggested one well-known molded manufacturer hand lays their shells rather than spraying. Frankly, I would have though it cost-prohibitive for such large molds, but I'd love to be wrong. Does anyone know for a fact whether any molded trailers are hand laid (other than spot reinforcement)?
Old 02-14-2018, 02:41 PM   #19

Trailer: Eggcamper 2007 ('Wolf's Lair')
Another Molded Teardrop

Another molded teardrop is the "TearDropp" made by Jim at EggCamper. It is quite a bit bigger than a "normal" teardrop trailer but has the same lines. You can almost stand up in one. Also the hatch to the rear galley is a lot higher, so much so that you could drive a motorcycle or ATV in (after removing the galley of course). I've only seen a couple of them "in the wild" but did get a good look inside and out when I picked up my new EggCamper back in 2007. I think several of them were bought by military Morale, Recreation and Wellfare facilities to use as rental units. They replaced the 13' and 16' Scamps. Unfortunately Jim isn't currently making EggCampers or TearDropps. Hopefully he will resume production in the future.
Orlen Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 07:09 AM   #20

Arizona
Registry
Fiberglass NestEgg Question for Donna D.

Orlen, have you run across a picture of an EggCamper Tear Dropp? My searching turned up empty. I visited Jim's website a number of times since entering the molded fiberglass world in 2012 and never saw any mention of it, either.

Very interesting.