Fiberglass repair - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 10-06-2014, 09:30 AM   #15
Senior Member
 
David Tilston's Avatar
 
Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1977, 1978 (2), 1300 - 1977, 1973, and a 1972
Alberta
Posts: 5,317
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nut501 View Post
I have a question about painting a fiberglass camper with Rubberized Roofing coating? Has anyone ever painted a fiberglass camper with this product? How did it turn out? Does it last for a long time? Does anyone have any other suggestions for painting a fiberglass camper?
Thanks,
Why would a fibreglass camper have a rubberized roof coating? Pictures?
__________________

__________________
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 10:39 AM   #16
Senior Member
 
Name: Carl
Trailer: 1994 Scamp 16
Arkansas
Posts: 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
Why would a fibreglass camper have a rubberized roof coating? Pictures?
David,
I was thinking that the rubberized coating would protect the fiberglass? Am, I wrong? Or do I just need to wash and wax the outside of the camper?
Thanks
__________________

__________________
Carl

If you don't know where you are going, you might wind up someplace else! Yogi Berra
Nut501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 11:24 AM   #17
Moderator
 
Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 77 Scamp 13
Michigan
Posts: 3,081
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy Sa View Post
.... I started reading about gel coat and got really confused. Do I do a fiberglass type repair and paint it or use a gel coat approach? Thanks for any feedback
Gel Coat and paint do the same thing, provide color coat and protection from the elements. I think gel coat is more durable but there are some marine paints that are reported to be pretty tough and long lasting.

I think for patching a small area color matching with paint might be easier, but gel coat can be tinted. If the camper is white gel coat might be a better match, it is a pure white that is a little harder to find a match for in paint, at least that was my experience looking for something to touch up nicks and small chips in the existing gel coat.

Gel coat is a resin product that uses a catalyst, some epoxy paints also use a catalyst, the one most people are most familiar with might be the epoxy garage and basement floor paint kits.

For a small touch up repair I think either paint or gel coat is an option, somewhat depending on what skills you are working with (yours or friends) and how critical to appearance the repair is. If you are comfortable with painting skills or can afford to experiment with gel coat might be the determining factors.
__________________
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 11:26 AM   #18
Senior Member
 
Trailer:
Posts: 787
Filon appears to be made by Crane Composites who say: "Composed of thermoset polyester resin and chopped fiberglass strands, Crane Composites RV sidewall panels....", so standard fiberglass repair process.
__________________
Andrew Gibbens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 10:00 AM   #19
Senior Member
 
David Tilston's Avatar
 
Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1977, 1978 (2), 1300 - 1977, 1973, and a 1972
Alberta
Posts: 5,317
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nut501 View Post
David,
I was thinking that the rubberized coating would protect the fiberglass? Am, I wrong? Or do I just need to wash and wax the outside of the camper?
Thanks
I have a trailer that is over 40 years old. It has not been taken care of much. The roof is in fine condition. If I was looking to buy a fibreglass trailer, and it had a rubber coating, I would be suspicious of what they might be trying to hide.
Roof damage, Triliium #136
__________________
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 08:58 AM   #20
Junior Member
 
Name: Nancy
Trailer: Spree
Colorado
Posts: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post
Gel Coat and paint do the same thing, provide color coat and protection from the elements. I think gel coat is more durable but there are some marine paints that are reported to be pretty tough and long lasting.

I think for patching a small area color matching with paint might be easier, but gel coat can be tinted. If the camper is white gel coat might be a better match, it is a pure white that is a little harder to find a match for in paint, at least that was my experience looking for something to touch up nicks and small chips in the existing gel coat.

Gel coat is a resin product that uses a catalyst, some epoxy paints also use a catalyst, the one most people are most familiar with might be the epoxy garage and basement floor paint kits.

For a small touch up repair I think either paint or gel coat is an option, somewhat depending on what skills you are working with (yours or friends) and how critical to appearance the repair is. If you are comfortable with painting skills or can afford to experiment with gel coat might be the determining factors.
Rodger and Andrew, thanks for the reply. Spree and Crane have clammed up and referred me to a body shop but the point was I wanted to try this small repair myself. I found a helpful youtube
__________________

__________________
Nancy Sa is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
"How To:" fiberglass repair video Mary Lynn K. Care and Feeding of Molded Fiberglass Trailers 3 06-20-2009 07:15 PM
unusual Fiberglass repair Perry Mac Donald Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 7 03-21-2009 11:37 AM
Fiberglass Repair & Clear Coating mariemmoore Care and Feeding of Molded Fiberglass Trailers 15 11-04-2008 04:17 AM
Fiberglass repair Questions Kenny H Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 9 09-04-2008 11:20 AM
Fiberglass Repair Lisa H. Care and Feeding of Molded Fiberglass Trailers 3 07-30-2008 12:38 AM

» Upcoming Events
No events scheduled in
the next 465 days.
» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:52 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.