Fiberglass repair - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-29-2014, 08:46 AM   #1

Name: Karen
Trailer: 1975 1300 Trillium
Michigan
Registry
Fiberglass repair

Hi, my used Oliver has two cracks on the bottom that are two-three inches long. Since it is living now in the great north, where rain and snow is a way of life, I am wondering how to patch them. Anyone have experience with this? I saw a bondo kit for fiberglass on Amazon. Might not be pretty but? I don't think either crack will be allowing water in but I am thinking cold and wet might make them worse. Ideas?

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
Old 09-29-2014, 09:05 AM   #2

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Pictures would help. Are these cracks visible? If not your job is fairly easy.

Grind the sides of each crack to paper thin where the crack is to full thickness at 2" from the crack. Then saturate some fibreglass mat on a board that is covered with poly, (so it doesn't stick to the board) push it up against the crack. Wait for it to set, (about an hour) then pull the boar, and poly off. Repeat as necessary to get the proper thickness. Sand smooth, then paint.

This thread is very helpful:
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ass-52498.html
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 10:34 AM   #3

Name: Ray
Trailer: 2017 Scamp 16 Deluxe
Missouri
I wonder if this might be an application for that "Homemade Prepreg" that I mentioned in that thread?

"For repairs in recessed areas, tight corners, and/or overhead repairs, the section on Homemade PrePreg (in a plastic bag of all things ) might be of some interest?
http://bcove.me/s6bztad7 "

I think that using fiberglass mat inside the heavy duty freezer bag should work as well as a couple of layers of bi-directional (bid) fiberglass cloth (weave) and it could/should be a lot less messy to saturate your mat and apply the patch without getting the resin all over yourself? (I haven't actually worked with mat instead of bid cloth, so ... YMMV.
If you use this method with mat, maybe you could let me/us know how it works out?)

It's just a thought.

Good luck!

Ray
rdickens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 08:21 PM   #4
Commercial Member

Trailer: 1988 Scamp 13 ft and 1982 Perris Pacer 13 ft
Registry
Home-made pre-preg... Cool!

Robert Johans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 03:12 PM   #5

Michigan
Registry
David, I will try and get some pictures up soon.we are in the middle of moving, have to winterized for the first time as new owners real soon, and I am wondering if I can leave the cracks till next year or will winter do more damage? It will be left outside with a cover only....but shouldn't get wet ...ideas? As soon as we are at the house we are moving from, I'll get out there and take pictures. Thanks. Karen

Old 09-30-2014, 04:46 PM   #6

Alberta
Registry
Cracks in fibreglass are typically not going to get worse due to cold. Fibreglass flexes.
Old 10-01-2014, 04:51 PM   #7

Trailer: Oliver
Registry
Karen,

Stick some duct tape over the cracks until spring. Where are the cracks? Are they near one another? Have you called Robert about them?
Steve Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 09:11 AM   #8

Alberta
Registry
Duct tape leaves a concrete like residue. Maybe use packing tape, or wide electrical tape.
Old 10-02-2014, 10:15 AM   #9

Name: Carl
Trailer: 1994 Scamp 16
Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdickens View Post
I wonder if this might be an application for that "Homemade Prepreg" that I mentioned in that thread?

"For repairs in recessed areas, tight corners, and/or overhead repairs, the section on Homemade PrePreg (in a plastic bag of all things ) might be of some interest?
http://bcove.me/s6bztad7 "

I think that using fiberglass mat inside the heavy duty freezer bag should work as well as a couple of layers of bi-directional (bid) fiberglass cloth (weave) and it could/should be a lot less messy to saturate your mat and apply the patch without getting the resin all over yourself? (I haven't actually worked with mat instead of bid cloth, so ... YMMV.
If you use this method with mat, maybe you could let me/us know how it works out?)

It's just a thought.

Good luck!

Ray
Ray,
Thanks for the link! It was very helpful! I never knew that doing fiberglass could be so easy! He sure makes it look easy.

If you don't know where you are going, you might wind up someplace else! Yogi Berra
Nut501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 10:49 AM   #10

Michigan
Registry
Talking

Steve, the cracks are in two different places. One is actually in the battery section along the back side wall. A couple inches long and the other one is in the front along the bottome edge between the door and the propane tanks. It is also 2 inches or so long. I think we will use the duck tape as when you repair it you have to sand it down anyways. Good idea. Today we are learning how to winterize since snow is forecasted tomorrow. Ha ha.
Old 10-02-2014, 11:22 AM   #11

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Liquid electrical tape seals well and is easy to remove. Might be something to brush on before tape.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 03:55 PM   #12

Name: Nancy
Trailer: Spree
Colorado
Gelcoat or Fiberglass?

Can anyone tell me the difference between gel coat and Filon? We have a 2012 Spree with smooth sides. We managed to put a gouge in the front rounded cap and after reading this thread thought we might try to repair it ourselves. KZ industries is sending me the paint match but then I started reading about gel coat and got really confused. Do I do a fiberglass type repair and paint it or use a gel coat approach? Thanks for any feedback
Nancy Sa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 08:18 AM   #13

Arkansas
I have a question about painting a fiberglass camper with Rubberized Roofing coating? Has anyone ever painted a fiberglass camper with this product? How did it turn out? Does it last for a long time? Does anyone have any other suggestions for painting a fiberglass camper?
Thanks,

If you don't know where you are going, you might wind up someplace else! Yogi Berra
Old 10-06-2014, 08:29 AM   #14

Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy Sa View Post
Can anyone tell me the difference between gel coat and Filon? We have a 2012 Spree with smooth sides. We managed to put a gouge in the front rounded cap and after reading this thread thought we might try to repair it ourselves. KZ industries is sending me the paint match but then I started reading about gel coat and got really confused. Do I do a fiberglass type repair and paint it or use a gel coat approach? Thanks for any feedback
I believe that Filon, which is used on the front window rock guard on Trillium trailers, is fibreglass in a Nylon resin, as opposed to a polyester resin. I suspect that repairing Filon might best be done with epoxy.
Old 10-06-2014, 08:30 AM   #15

Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nut501 View Post
I have a question about painting a fiberglass camper with Rubberized Roofing coating? Has anyone ever painted a fiberglass camper with this product? How did it turn out? Does it last for a long time? Does anyone have any other suggestions for painting a fiberglass camper?
Thanks,
Why would a fibreglass camper have a rubberized roof coating? Pictures?
Old 10-06-2014, 09:39 AM   #16

Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
Why would a fibreglass camper have a rubberized roof coating? Pictures?
David,
I was thinking that the rubberized coating would protect the fiberglass? Am, I wrong? Or do I just need to wash and wax the outside of the camper?
Thanks

Old 10-06-2014, 10:24 AM   #17

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy Sa View Post
.... I started reading about gel coat and got really confused. Do I do a fiberglass type repair and paint it or use a gel coat approach? Thanks for any feedback
Gel Coat and paint do the same thing, provide color coat and protection from the elements. I think gel coat is more durable but there are some marine paints that are reported to be pretty tough and long lasting.

I think for patching a small area color matching with paint might be easier, but gel coat can be tinted. If the camper is white gel coat might be a better match, it is a pure white that is a little harder to find a match for in paint, at least that was my experience looking for something to touch up nicks and small chips in the existing gel coat.

Gel coat is a resin product that uses a catalyst, some epoxy paints also use a catalyst, the one most people are most familiar with might be the epoxy garage and basement floor paint kits.

For a small touch up repair I think either paint or gel coat is an option, somewhat depending on what skills you are working with (yours or friends) and how critical to appearance the repair is. If you are comfortable with painting skills or can afford to experiment with gel coat might be the determining factors.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 10:26 AM   #18

Trailer:
Filon appears to be made by Crane Composites who say: "Composed of thermoset polyester resin and chopped fiberglass strands, Crane Composites RV sidewall panels....", so standard fiberglass repair process.
Andrew Gibbens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 09:00 AM   #19

Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nut501 View Post
David,
I was thinking that the rubberized coating would protect the fiberglass? Am, I wrong? Or do I just need to wash and wax the outside of the camper?
Thanks
I have a trailer that is over 40 years old. It has not been taken care of much. The roof is in fine condition. If I was looking to buy a fibreglass trailer, and it had a rubber coating, I would be suspicious of what they might be trying to hide.
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...6-a-48760.html
Old 10-10-2014, 07:58 AM   #20

Name: Nancy
Trailer: Spree
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post
Gel Coat and paint do the same thing, provide color coat and protection from the elements. I think gel coat is more durable but there are some marine paints that are reported to be pretty tough and long lasting.

I think for patching a small area color matching with paint might be easier, but gel coat can be tinted. If the camper is white gel coat might be a better match, it is a pure white that is a little harder to find a match for in paint, at least that was my experience looking for something to touch up nicks and small chips in the existing gel coat.

Gel coat is a resin product that uses a catalyst, some epoxy paints also use a catalyst, the one most people are most familiar with might be the epoxy garage and basement floor paint kits.

For a small touch up repair I think either paint or gel coat is an option, somewhat depending on what skills you are working with (yours or friends) and how critical to appearance the repair is. If you are comfortable with painting skills or can afford to experiment with gel coat might be the determining factors.
Rodger and Andrew, thanks for the reply. Spree and Crane have clammed up and referred me to a body shop but the point was I wanted to try this small repair myself. I found a helpful youtube that is similar to my problem and with the other suggestions from this site I think I have a plan.
Nancy Sa is offline   Reply With Quote