Fiberglass Teardropp by Eggcamper - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 11-12-2007, 11:44 PM   #15

Name: Bobbie
Trailer: 2011 Escape 15A
Washington
Registry
Quote:
I already have a vintage teardrop, I just looking for something with more interior room that will give me the option to be creative with cabinets and shelving.
The dimensions are not that far off from a 13' scamp, i see alot of potential with this camper.
If anyone has knowledge of one of these out here in California have them post on this board.
There is no dealer network for this and the other Eggcampers, I realy dont want to make a trip to Michigan just to look at one of these.
Coming from a teardrop it probably would be a nice move, and I can see what you mean about cabinets- working with fiberglass gives you a lot of options. Maybe the company can tell you if they have sold one in California?

Bobbie

Old 11-12-2007, 11:52 PM   #16

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
You might try giving Eggcamper a call and see if they've sold one to somebody near you. If not maybe they could provide more pictures and information. I know that Scamp and Casita have a referral program so maybe Eggcamper does too. Worth a phone call to find out.

I do have to agree it is a pretty neat looking design and if you're already into tear drop trailers this might be just the ticket.

Old 11-12-2007, 11:57 PM   #17

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
this camper looks to be on the same scale as the Burro, Scamp, Casita.

Scamp 13' Specifications
Overall Length 13'
Overall Height 7'4"
Overall Width 6'8"
Interior Length 10'
Interior Width 6'6"
Weight* 1000 lbs.
Hitch Weight* 85 lbs.
Hitch Height 18"
Ball Hitch 2"
Tire 13" B rating
Sleeps 2 to 4 people

Teardrop Camper
Overall length......................166"
Overall width......................88
Exterior Height ..83"
Interior Height.................67"
Dry Weight Basic.................895lbs
Tongue Weight basic..........140lbs
Old 11-13-2007, 12:09 AM   #18

Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
From what I can see of the teardrop, here's what I think are the big differences between it and most 13' trailers.

Inside kitchen vs outside kitchen.
Inside seating (I've had 7 people sitting in my 13' at one time)
Large front and rear windows, door window, two side windows, (I also have a small window over the stove) vs one window in door and maybe one on the other side. Therefore more light and better ventilation.

I'm sure there's more.
Old 11-13-2007, 08:19 AM   #19

As for the outside galley, this is part of the retro look i like, and if one wanted they could use a small stove inside. Because these are basicaly a blank you could customize the interior living quarter to your liking, from my understanding they could add an extra regress window if desired.

Thank you all for posting your comments, if you run across some more detailed photos of interior or exterior please post them.
Old 11-13-2007, 08:36 AM   #20
Suz

Trailer: 1989 Casita Spirit Deluxe
Registry
Maybe the measurements are not that far off, but in these trailers, inches make a huge difference. Just a few inches here and there can go from cramped and claustrophobic to open and spacious and allows for much more maneuverability.

If you just prefer teardrops, then that's definitely one to consider. You have the benefit of molded fiberglass while still being able to have a teardrop. It's just that I don't think that you can compare a teardrop to a 13' trailer.
Old 11-13-2007, 08:45 AM   #21

Name: Michael
Trailer: Amerigo & Trailmanor (popupish)
Indiana
Quote:
Maybe the measurements are not that far off, but in these trailers, inches make a huge difference. Just a few inches here and there can go from cramped and claustrophobic to open and spacious and allows for much more maneuverability.
Couldn't have said it better myself.

Although the overall EXTERNAL dimensions are very close, the internal dimensions are actually quite different. Biggest significant change is the interior width. That 88 inches of width includes two fairly wide exterior fenders. Overall effect is this: In a 13' egg - you sleep sideways, in a teardrop you sleep lengthwise. This leaves a LOT more open space in the egg for other things. In most teardrops, the entire interior space is used as "bed". On the upside - it's probably a wider and longer bed than in any of the 13' eggs.

mkw

Old 11-13-2007, 10:56 AM   #22

Name: Cindy
Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot Silver Cloud
Illinois
Registry
Greg:

A little advice from another wife. Listen to your wife. Get the 13' trailer. Not even our 13' camper kept me satisfied. We traded it for a 16'. I wanted the space for a bathroom, and now both husband and I are loving the fact that we don't bump into one another like we did before.

CindyL
Old 11-13-2007, 11:49 AM   #23

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19
Arizona
I vote with the wife.
Experience speaking....

2015 Escape 19 & 1997 Scamp 19
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 12:19 PM   #24
Administrator

Name: Mary
Trailer: Escape 21; (formerly Casita LD 17 & 16)
Texas
Registry
Quote:
If anyone has knowledge of one of these out here in California have them post on this board.
Do keep in mind we are not a Teardrop-camper forum. Yes, it looks like Eggcamper has come up with one that is of molded fiberglass, but there are, as has been pointed out already, better sites for researching Teardrops.

Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 12:09 AM   #25

You are correct, maybe I should look elsewhere for my search.
I want to think all for your comments and for those that sent me a PM, I will continue my search for the right fiberglass camper that fits our personalities and our camping needs.
As for teardrop trailer I already own one of them and the boards that i visit and vintage trailer rallies we attend have resulted in meeting some really good people whom are willing to help no matter what type of trailer you have.
Again thanks for all the good quality post that were truly trying to help, but as Mary has made it all so obvious I will not find what Im looking for on this forum.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture_049.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	71.7 KB
ID:	10855
Old 11-14-2007, 12:34 AM   #26

Oregon
Registry
Quote:
Do keep in mind we are not a Teardrop-camper forum. Yes, it looks like Eggcamper has come up with one that is of molded fiberglass, but there are, as has been pointed out already, better sites for researching Teardrops.
I don't see that it should make a lot of difference between shapes of molded fiberglass RVs. The common element as stated in the top banner is "Molded Lightweight Fiberglass RV". You can't get much lighter in a molded fiberglass RV than tear-drop style.

Old 11-14-2007, 05:32 AM   #27

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
We do have several teardrop owners on FiberglassRV, but I agree with Mary. If looking specifically for information about teardrops, even molded teardrops, Greg would have more luck and get more information on a forum dedicated to teardrops. Our focus is a bit different.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 02:42 PM   #28

Name: Mr
Trailer: small
State
Greg -- I will add a slightly different perspective. I sold my Scamp 13 DLX to purchase a teardrop. For my needs, I went with a LittleGuy 4-wide Retro. My wife and I have used it several times since we purchased it in September, and are loving it. I can tow it with my Saturn SW2 wagon, and get roughly 30mpg. It is 4-feet wide, which gives as much bed space as a typical fiberglass camper, but the advantage is that the walls are on both sides, and straight. So, one person doesn't lose space to curvature while the other feels like they are falling off the edge. So, from experience, I would argue that teardrops sleep better than most larger fiberglass campers. If sleep is your primary use of a camper, I think the teardrop wins, hands down.

However, as has been pointed out, teardrops typically are pretty limited on space for much beyond sleeping. That is a significant difference with the EggCamper teardrop. Looking at the pictures, it isn't a typical teardrop. First of all, based on the measurements, it appears that the shell is 10' or 10.5' long - as long or longer than a Scamp 13. It appears that it has a seating bench in the front, a small floorspace for legs while seated, and then a sizable bed of at least 60" wide (how does that sound to most folks reading this?!) The height isn't stand-up-and-stretch tall, but it certainly is get-dressed-fairly-easily tall. It even appears to have plenty of room for a porta-potty. As far as cooking out in the rain, well ..., there are compromises with any choice. With our LittleGuy, we have a 9x12 dining canopy, and just park the teardrop under the canopy, so we can cook in the dry.

Since you are coming from the teardrop world, and no doubt have great associations with your experiences over the years, I think the EggCamper teardrop is a very viable option for you, assuming your wife comes to think along the same lines. If she doesn't, I think I'd recommend going with her choice.

By the way, the Eggcamper teardrop is a fully-qualified Lightweight Fiberglass RV, and this forum had better get used to the idea, because with gas prices what they are, we are going to see more and more campers such as the Eggcamper teardrop. My two cents.

Best wishes on your quest, Greg. Just make sure that your wife is happy with the choice.

Tags
eggcamper