FiberglassRV and Retirement - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-28-2008, 08:55 PM   #15

Trailer: Trillium
Ontario
If you're retirin, it wouldn't be a bad thing to see you up here at Emily or some such event, you know, you got an awful lot of us gung-ho on our trailers Mike, and we all appreciate that more than words can count for.

Joe

Old 07-28-2008, 10:11 PM   #16

Trailer: 98 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel

What more can I say. Enjoy your retirement. And again

Old 07-28-2008, 10:42 PM   #17

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
I too am about to embark on that long road called Re-Tire-Ment as of Sept 1th, 2008! I can also sympathize with you having/wanting to sell your place and downsizing as we too are doing the same thing. It is indeed a scarry feeling and the Trailer Goddess and I wish you both all the Best In Your Retirement Years. The site (I'm sure) just won't be the same without your guidance, input and influance.

Cheers Mike and Happy Trails To You n Yours.

...Doug n Sandy
Old 07-28-2008, 10:51 PM   #18

Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Quote:
Hey there,
I just wanted to chime in, say hello and answer any questions you all might have.
Regards,
Andy
Hi Andy R !

So.... I'm thinking that you are the same Andy R. who administers the www.early-retirement.org site that I enjoy so much. True or false?

--Lynne

Old 07-28-2008, 11:03 PM   #19

Name: Peter
Oregon
Registry
Mike,

When Lynne and I first started thinking about buying a small travel trailer two years ago we found three valuable resources online: the Yahoo Scampers group, the Casita Forum, and FiberglassRV. FiberglassRV became an invaluable resource in helping us find others who love these little trailers, helped us decide on and find a trailer we love. Now we own two Fiberglass trailers, and Fiberglass RV continues to be a source of information on everything from where to find needed repair items, do a specific repair, neat places to camp, and read camp fire stories.

I rarely go to the other forums I mentioned earlier. This is a wonderful place to hang out and share with the many friends we've made in this well-established Fiberglass trailer loving community. It's time you sat back and enjoyed the site as the rest of us do -- not as an owner, but just another guy out to share stories, tips, and tricks with friends.

Thanks for all you've done.

--Peter
Old 07-28-2008, 11:33 PM   #20

Name: Frederick
Trailer: Fiber Stream
California
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
Then on to the North East. Lori has wanted to go to the Smithsonian for years. I told her we could give it an afternoon.
You sparked a memory for me.

I had been working at San Diego Scale for a couple of years. It's a small company, and business ebbs and flows. When it gets really busy, schedules back up like a clogged drain; the work is just specialized enough that it takes about a year for a new hire without previous experience to be able to work in the field alone unsupervised, as most of us do.

A co-worker dropped a bombshell: He was checking into rehab for cocaine addiction. Even though he was a good worker, his employment with us ended that afternoon. This was in the middle of our busy season. My boss, Larry, held a company meeting and told the 2 of us field guys remaining that he wouldn't be able to bring another tech onboard and up to speed fast enough, and the next 6 months were going to be rough going. Of course, there would be a lot of overtime, and we would have to try to keep from loosing customers.

A year later, I happened to be driving Larry to the airport for an early morning flight. As I pulled away from his house, we started talking about making it through a tough period. Larry was taking a week off to go to New York, a favorite spot for him. He noted that my vacations were about seeing my Parents and Siblings, and asked about it. "That's all my family does, is visit with each other," I said. He said, "That's an obligation, not a vacation. If you were to imagine a vacation where you went where YOU wanted to go, where would it be?" It's important to note here that we were both single at the time.

After a pause, I told him that I had never been to Washington, D.C. What I was interested in was to see as much of the Smithsonian's Museums as I could. I guessed it would require at least a week.

A month later, I was returning to the office at the end of the workday to submit my reports. I glanced at the scheduling board to prepare for the next day's assignments and scrawled over that day's notations for me was: "SEE L.O.

That cryptic note was a summons to the Boss's Office. It was curt, and usually meant that a MISTAKE had been discovered. The last time I had been summoned to Larry's office like that, I had received a violation notice from the County Department of Weights and Measures for placing an inaccurate scale into service.

I knocked on his door, and went inside. Wordlessly, he handed me an envelope. I tried to keep from trembling as I opened it.

Inside was a round-trip airline ticket to Washington, D.C., reservations for a week's stay at the Downtown Holiday Inn at Thomas Circle, and $100.

That was twenty years ago. I still work for Larry.

I want to go back and see the Smithsonian again.
Old 07-29-2008, 12:02 AM   #21

Name: Frederick
Trailer: Fiber Stream
California
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
I want to go back and see the Smithsonian again.
But I will settle for your post about seeing it; here on FGRV!

...and don't forget lots of pictures!
Old 07-29-2008, 04:36 AM   #22

Name: Cindy
Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot Silver Cloud
Illinois
Registry
We are going to the Smithsonian in September. We have a DC conference every year that gives us time to see part of the museum each visit.

We are in Williamsburg right now with our UHaul with stops at several historical sites along the way that relate to my Rev War/Civil war ancestry. Be sure you stop off here, if you have not seen yet. And I recommend Manassas, Gettysburg, and a hard-to-find recreation of a Rev War fort in Blair County, Pa, Fort Roberdeau.

And thanks for all the help this site has been, Mike. We got the trailer before finding this site, so we had lots of questions that were answered here. And the same with the UHaul we now have. Enjoy your retirement! Maybe we will be at some fiberglass event together at some time in the future.

CindyL
Old 07-29-2008, 07:12 AM   #23

Trailer: 81 Trillium 5500 (Pearl)
Talking

Frederick, that is one great story.

And typical of many of the stories and life-snippets that this site has blessed us with. Thanks Mike for "having us over to your place" for lo these many years and being able to share in these memories.

Andy, we're pleased to hear your commitment to not change MFROG in such a way that the community built here ever fades away. Looking forward to many helpful and friendly years with the "new management" shingle hanging out.

Old 07-29-2008, 07:35 PM   #24

Name: Mike
Trailer: Bigfoot 25 ft
I have had discussions with Andy about adding things like Video support, upgrading and improving the document center. I know he is very interested in adding programming software that will solve many of the issues I have struggled with.

I look forward to his input and ideas.

Anybody want to buy a house in California?
Old 07-29-2008, 07:46 PM   #25
Administrator

This thread is a great example of what makes FGRV so special. I often find it hard to explain to non-forum users that so many friendships are formed in our online communities. This thread put a big smile on my face because I feel so honor to be entrusted with the keys to such a fine place. As Mike mentioned above, I'd like to chat with you all about various new features but I suggest we wait until after Labor Day before we start those talks. In the weeks to come I will have to move the site(s) to the new servers and get a few other technical things settled and then I should be set to start listening on what everyone wants.
Old 07-29-2008, 07:56 PM   #26
Administrator

Quote:
So.... I'm thinking that you are the same Andy R. who administers the www.early-retirement.org site that I enjoy so much. True or false?
I'm busted! Yes, I adopted E-R a while back. The members there are also a spectacular bunch too.

It's really random how you look back and see how things in your life evolve. For those of you who don't know, I basically started Airstream Forums in 2002 when I was living in Colorado. A job brought me back to Dallas and I was not able to bring my Airstream to finish the restoration so I just started working on the forums. It was then that my passion for forums came to light and I found myself on forums for people who manage forum software all the time. There are so many features you can add, so I would listen to what the members where wanting and then try to find solutions. This takes a lot more time then people think.

In 2005 I decided to quit my job and focus on community management. Its pretty hard to live off just one forum so I moved to Buenos Aires, Argentina where I could afford to live on a lot less. Slowly since then I have been adopting new forums. With each one comes a chance to see how the teams do things and over time the goal is to try and inform the team of what is working on the other sites (and also what has not worked). I think it's really important for members of each community to manage/lead the site to make sure no site looses it's personal feel.

So a special thanks to the Mods, Admins and Mike as well as the members. The amount of respect that everyone has for each other here is evidence of all the hard work that has been put in by everyone over the years.
Old 07-29-2008, 08:13 PM   #27

Trailer: 1983 Scamp 13 ft Standard
Speaking of the Smithsonian...

It's one of my wishes if ever I get to the Air & Space Museum, to go see tail number '972, the SR-71 Blackbird that flew a record 1hr, 4min flight from LA to Washington, and into retirement.

I had the honor to work on that aircraft, and often was one of the last people in it's cockpit just before a pilot would take it out for a spin. It sure was a workhorse, and seldom gave me much work.

I think it'd be neat to hang out with another museum piece.
Old 07-30-2008, 12:47 AM   #28

Quote:
I'm busted! Yes, I adopted E-R a while back. The members there are also a spectacular bunch too.
Andy--- Welcome aboard! The E-R members and moderators are great though that group is a bit more, um, volatile than you'll find here at MFROG.

Are you still in Buenos Aires? What types of molded fiberglass trailers do they have in South America? I've been to Brazil and I'd be afraid to drive a car much less a tow vehicle and trailer down there

Mike---I'm so glad to hear that you plan on attending lots of rallys. That means we'll have opportunities to meet up with you and Lori on the road here and there, terrific!

--Lynne