FiberglassRV and Retirement - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-28-2008, 11:02 PM   #21

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
I want to go back and see the Smithsonian again.
But I will settle for your post about seeing it; here on FGRV!

...and don't forget lots of pictures!
Old 07-29-2008, 03:36 AM   #22

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
We are going to the Smithsonian in September. We have a DC conference every year that gives us time to see part of the museum each visit.

We are in Williamsburg right now with our UHaul with stops at several historical sites along the way that relate to my Rev War/Civil war ancestry. Be sure you stop off here, if you have not seen yet. And I recommend Manassas, Gettysburg, and a hard-to-find recreation of a Rev War fort in Blair County, Pa, Fort Roberdeau.

And thanks for all the help this site has been, Mike. We got the trailer before finding this site, so we had lots of questions that were answered here. And the same with the UHaul we now have. Enjoy your retirement! Maybe we will be at some fiberglass event together at some time in the future.

CindyL
Old 07-29-2008, 06:12 AM   #23

Trailer: 81 Trillium 5500 (Pearl)
Talking

Frederick, that is one great story.

And typical of many of the stories and life-snippets that this site has blessed us with. Thanks Mike for "having us over to your place" for lo these many years and being able to share in these memories.

Andy, we're pleased to hear your commitment to not change MFROG in such a way that the community built here ever fades away. Looking forward to many helpful and friendly years with the "new management" shingle hanging out.

Kathy & Doug Roach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 06:35 PM   #24

Trailer: Bigfoot 25 ft / Dodge 3500HD 4X4 Jake Brake
I have had discussions with Andy about adding things like Video support, upgrading and improving the document center. I know he is very interested in adding programming software that will solve many of the issues I have struggled with.

I look forward to his input and ideas.

Anybody want to buy a house in California?
Bigfoot Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 06:46 PM   #25
Administrator

This thread is a great example of what makes FGRV so special. I often find it hard to explain to non-forum users that so many friendships are formed in our online communities. This thread put a big smile on my face because I feel so honor to be entrusted with the keys to such a fine place. As Mike mentioned above, I'd like to chat with you all about various new features but I suggest we wait until after Labor Day before we start those talks. In the weeks to come I will have to move the site(s) to the new servers and get a few other technical things settled and then I should be set to start listening on what everyone wants.
Andy R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 06:56 PM   #26
Administrator

Quote:
So.... I'm thinking that you are the same Andy R. who administers the www.early-retirement.org site that I enjoy so much. True or false?
I'm busted! Yes, I adopted E-R a while back. The members there are also a spectacular bunch too.

It's really random how you look back and see how things in your life evolve. For those of you who don't know, I basically started Airstream Forums in 2002 when I was living in Colorado. A job brought me back to Dallas and I was not able to bring my Airstream to finish the restoration so I just started working on the forums. It was then that my passion for forums came to light and I found myself on forums for people who manage forum software all the time. There are so many features you can add, so I would listen to what the members where wanting and then try to find solutions. This takes a lot more time then people think.

In 2005 I decided to quit my job and focus on community management. Its pretty hard to live off just one forum so I moved to Buenos Aires, Argentina where I could afford to live on a lot less. Slowly since then I have been adopting new forums. With each one comes a chance to see how the teams do things and over time the goal is to try and inform the team of what is working on the other sites (and also what has not worked). I think it's really important for members of each community to manage/lead the site to make sure no site looses it's personal feel.

So a special thanks to the Mods, Admins and Mike as well as the members. The amount of respect that everyone has for each other here is evidence of all the hard work that has been put in by everyone over the years.
Old 07-29-2008, 07:13 PM   #27

Trailer: 1983 Scamp 13 ft Standard
Speaking of the Smithsonian...

It's one of my wishes if ever I get to the Air & Space Museum, to go see tail number '972, the SR-71 Blackbird that flew a record 1hr, 4min flight from LA to Washington, and into retirement.

I had the honor to work on that aircraft, and often was one of the last people in it's cockpit just before a pilot would take it out for a spin. It sure was a workhorse, and seldom gave me much work.

I think it'd be neat to hang out with another museum piece.
Old 07-29-2008, 11:47 PM   #28

Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Quote:
I'm busted! Yes, I adopted E-R a while back. The members there are also a spectacular bunch too.
Andy--- Welcome aboard! The E-R members and moderators are great though that group is a bit more, um, volatile than you'll find here at MFROG.

Are you still in Buenos Aires? What types of molded fiberglass trailers do they have in South America? I've been to Brazil and I'd be afraid to drive a car much less a tow vehicle and trailer down there

Mike---I'm so glad to hear that you plan on attending lots of rallys. That means we'll have opportunities to meet up with you and Lori on the road here and there, terrific!

--Lynne
lynneh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 11:59 PM   #29

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Quote:
I have had discussions with Andy about adding things like Video support, upgrading and improving the document center. I know he is very interested in adding programming software that will solve many of the issues I have struggled with.

I look forward to his input and ideas.

Anybody want to buy a house in California?
Post your movies on YouTube. It's easy. Then you can link to them from within your forum posts.
LSChilders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 12:16 AM   #30

Quote:
Post your movies on YouTube. It's easy. Then you can link to them from within your forum posts.
Yes, that works but...

We like to have great info on our servers so it will be available and the links continue to work from now on. You may have noticed on other sites there are lots of photos not found and problems like that.
Old 07-30-2008, 01:59 AM   #31
Administrator

Quote:
that group is a bit more, um, volatile than you'll find here at MFROG.
Hallelujah! It's interesting how each forum community develops it's own boundaries and culture of respect between the members. A big hand for Mike and the rest of the Mod/Admin team, you have done an amazing job!

Quote:
Are you still in Buenos Aires? What types of molded fiberglass trailers do they have in South America? I've been to Brazil and I'd be afraid to drive a car much less a tow vehicle and trailer down there
I am actually in Dallas at the moment (my hometown) but will be heading down to Florianopolis, Brasil next Tuesday to be with my girlfriend (it's tough when you fall in love with someone on the other side of the world). I'll stay down there until Thanksgiving and then come back home for the Holidays.

I have seen various fiberglass trailers down there, they are pretty funky looking. I will take some photos on this next trip and post them here. Pulling a trailer in South America could be pretty dangerous with the skinny roads and massive trucks passing by the other way. I am thinking the only safe way to tow down there would be with a tow vehicle that would absurdly big for the trailer and a stabalizer hitch. I have contemplated the idea of some South American journeys especially into Patagonia in the summer. Maybe one day I...
Old 07-31-2008, 09:05 AM   #32

Name: Dave & Kathie
Trailer: 2013 Escape 21
Oregon
Registry
Mike & Lori,

All the best on your retirement! Thanks for this wonderful site. After we bought our Casita, we didn't know about this site, It turned out that a good friend of ours works with Donna D - what a small world! She told him to be sure and hook us up with MFROG. It's enriched our lives, making new friends online and at the gatherings, learning DO cooking from Lori, gathering helpful information from the group, hearing about new places to camp, wow - we could go on and on...all the best to you and
Happy Trails!

Dave & Kathie

Dave and Kathie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 10:12 AM   #33

Trailer: 1989 Bigfoot 17 ft and 1989 Li'l Bigfoot 13 ft
All the best to you Mike & Lori for your retirement.

When I bought my first trailer in 2003 I knew nothing about trailering, other than that I wanted to be a FGRV owner. I was lucky enough to find this site and now I know a little more about trailering, but mainly my life is enriched by all the friendly, helpful people here.

Thanks for all your work over the years and happy retirement
Lainey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 12:24 PM   #34

Trailer: 2008 19 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe 5th Wheel
Well, as a Newbie / Infrequent poster...I can ONLY say that this site is FANTASTIC. It blows me away... the breadth AND depth of the topics. WOW. "THANK YOU" to all the members... you have opened my eyes to so many potential issues...

We are NOT currently Glass owners, we pick up a Scamp D19 end of Sept (got the lingo down... hehehehe). We are SO looking forward to the experience

And thanx for the comment about he E-R site - i am 54 and end of 2009 (55 1/2) i am OUT of here. Will have enough CalPERS and extra $$ in the 401 & 457 plans that my monthly cash will actually go up in retirement.

Grace and Peace to all... and Stay Safe!
Alan Weinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 03:23 PM   #35

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp / Nissan Titan
A heartfelt thanks, Mike. Wouldn't have ever known about or owned our Scamp if it weren't for this site.

Welcome, Andy!
I think that you should buy a funky FGRV in Brasil when you go down there and see if you can drive and camp all the way back up to Texas posting your adventures as you go. Be a great way to start! (Is that even possible?)
2015 Escape 19 & 1997 Scamp 19
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 06:19 PM   #36

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Mike:

I joined in 2002 with my first trailer, a 73 Boler, which I may not have purchased had it not been for the resources of your site. I subsequently purchased a 15' Trillium, and am now into Bigfoot. I got tips on repairing items, finding parts nd other general useful information. I hope to see you and Lori in travels, us both having 25 foot models as I hope to retire in 2 to 3 years

Rick B
Rick B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 02:52 AM   #37

Trailer: 1975 Trillium 13 ft / Chevy Astrovan
Thank you for a wonderful site, Mike. I've enjoyed the spirit and fun of this community, and benefited from all the helpful information, even though I am FAR, FAR away from you all. Hurray for computers, and the people who sit at the keyboards!
Connie M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 11:32 PM   #38

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler and 1987 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Registry
Wow, I am almost speechless.

Welcome Andy!

Mike and Lori, as so many others have said "Thank you for starting this wonderful site". Good luck with your unloading, I know how hard it is. I'm glad you are staying on board as a moderator, now you can get rowdy!
Old 08-04-2008, 11:48 PM   #39

Quote:
Mike and Lori, as so many others have said "Thank you for starting this wonderful site". Good luck with your unloading, I know how hard it is. I'm glad you are staying on board as a moderator, now you can get rowdy!
Old 08-06-2008, 11:31 AM   #40

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp / 2004 Honda Odyssey
Hi Mike and Lori,

You mentioned the Boundary Waters. If you will be in Grand Marais just post when and I'll bet a bunch of us show up. Joy won't be here so we can't do an organized gathering. She was the heart of our organized gathering in June. If you come you can be the heart of of unorganized one.

No, I won't place any wagers on how many show up. I lost that bet big time.

Where and when will you have your "Boundary Waters base camp"?

Our thanks too, for all the work you have done on this site.

Nancy
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote