Fifth wheel preference? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 01-06-2015, 01:43 PM   #15

Name: Ted
Trailer: (Dark side)Crossroads Now
Glade Valley, North Carolina
We leave the top bunk up permanent, took out the bed area cushions and added a full size mattress that lies flat on the plywood and fits perfect between the FG upper slots. Taking out the bed area cushions and leaving the top bunk cushions on lets the mattress lay level. Still room on either side of the mattress (12"or so) once past the slots. With the extra 12" on each side we can lay things like glasses, Kleenex, books, my gun, etc. There also is some room left on the upper bunk; making it easy for us to climb up into the bed area. We purchased a nice comfortable mattress. So much more comfortable. I like to sleep with my feet hanging off the end of the bed. Don't know why. Maybe in case I need to jump up and run. LOL

Old 01-06-2015, 03:25 PM   #16

Name: Bob
Trailer: No Fiberglass Yet
Texas
Thanks papa-t and Jared J; looks like you both did the same thing to have a full size front to back bed. I'm thinking you both have the side bath, is that right? From pictures and diagrams I've seen the front bath model creates a wall that forces "in and out" to a single passage on the curb side. I'm OK with a small ladder; keeps the dogs off the bed.

papa-t; you are lucky to live in such a pretty area, I grew up in Asheville and have missed it for 30 years.

Thanks gain for everybody's help!

Old 01-06-2015, 03:58 PM   #17

Name: Alfred
Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2010 Nissan Frontier
Ontario
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: Bob Burleson... There's a 2012 5.0 Escape for sale over in Charlotte N.C. Might still be avail. on Escape Trailer Owners Community. Only one post with pictures. Worth a personal message or email.
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Old 01-08-2015, 04:30 PM   #18

Name: Ted
Trailer: (Dark side)Crossroads Now
Glade Valley, North Carolina
Side bath is correct Bob
Old 01-09-2015, 06:32 AM   #19

Name: Tom
Trailer: Scamp 16
Michigan
Jared or Ted, is the top bunk hinge beefier than the bunk in the 13' or 16? I was told not to put more than 100 lbs on the top bunk in our 13'. If you have to climb up on your bed using the top bunk, does it seem sturdy enough? I've never been in a 19', but your mods for a larger bed seem pretty clever.

Tom
Old 01-09-2015, 11:51 AM   #20

Name: Alfred
Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2010 Nissan Frontier
Ontario
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Burleson View Post
Thanks everybody for the fast comments - this really is a great community of folks.

Alf S. I have followed your discussions and was glad to see your input, you were one with the exact scenario I was asking about. Glad to hear it was a positive move.

emers 382, I'm in Houston so will keep my eyes open for a gathering close enough to come visitl. That would be the best way to make up my mind. It will be two adults and two medium sized dogs (and maybe a cat) so a little bigger is a little better.

Donna D. I ll add that you are some of the glue that keeps this baord running. You're comments are always on point and helpful. I followed your anticipation and enthusiasm with Ten Forward - and hear I am getting make a similar move. You, and others on the Board, have helped me decide on life after aluminum.

Jared J. Thanks also for the information. Your modifications actually have been a big help in knowing how these trailers can be configures for ones specific needs/desires. I'm currently like you, given enough resources (money) I'd be on the phone to Escape - but the reality is I will have to find a trailer for the right price that gets us out traveling. The Scamps seem to fit that bill better. I keep ooking for maybe a current 5.0 owner looking to upgrade to a TA.

Another criteria is no climbing over the other person at night - so the front/back sleeping loft is a priority. Looks like that limits it to a Scamp with a side bath unless there are some modifications. Minor ones are OK.
Hi: Bob Burleson... No climb over for us on either Escape we owned.
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Attached Thumbnails
P1010122.jpg   P1030665.jpg