Fifth wheel preference? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-02-2015, 02:12 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Fifth wheel preference?

I have been a reader but not a poster for a number of years and have learned a ton about these great little trailers. I currently have various aluminum trailers but am considering switching horses. Specifically to either a Scamp or Escape 5th wheel. The 5.0 looked like the perfect trailer with respect to size and function. Not thinking either of the three (Scamp 19 or the 2 Escapes) would be a bad choice.

I am not sure I really understand why Escape went from the 5.0 to the 5-TA - is it because of size? axels? features? or other considerations. Did the 5.0 have some design issues that were addressed with the 5-TA? Was the 5.0 too heavy for the single axel? Was it as simple as the newer pick-ups are just getting too big for the 5.0? I have seen a couple of members who have made the move from the 5.0 to the 5-TA and would really appreciate hearing what was the driver, even if you kept your smaller truck.

This is a great community of folks and as I am getting closer to moving to the molded fiber glass world I look forward to being more active. Thanks!
Old 01-02-2015, 02:36 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Not owning a 5.0 or 5.0 TA I can't be specific, but I do know that when the 19' was being designed, Reace chose tandem axles, not because the trailer needed tandem, but because the market demanded it.
My buddy had discussions with Reace about going with a single axle on his 19', but it would have cost more to create a one-off trailer.
The 5.0 TA is larger and heavier than the 5.0.
I've heard no issues with the 5.0 single axle.
Old 01-02-2015, 02:55 PM   #3

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
With the old 5.0, the mould would need rebuilding, and Escape choose not to go this route.

You can get a single axle for just about any trailer out there, as they make them for really heavy loads, and you only have one axle, and one set of tires and brakes to worry about. However, a dual axle has some benefits in that it is more stable, bounces less, and is a comfort to some people who worry about blow outs.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 03:27 PM   #4

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Burleson View Post
I have been a reader but not a poster for a number of years and have learned a ton about these great little trailers. I currently have various aluminum trailers but am considering switching horses. Specifically to either a Scamp or Escape 5th wheel. The 5.0 looked like the perfect trailer with respect to size and function. Not thinking either of the three (Scamp 19 or the 2 Escapes) would be a bad choice.

I am not sure I really understand why Escape went from the 5.0 to the 5-TA - is it because of size? axels? features? or other considerations. Did the 5.0 have some design issues that were addressed with the 5-TA? Was the 5.0 too heavy for the single axel? Was it as simple as the newer pick-ups are just getting too big for the 5.0? I have seen a couple of members who have made the move from the 5.0 to the 5-TA and would really appreciate hearing what was the driver, even if you kept your smaller truck.

This is a great community of folks and as I am getting closer to moving to the molded fiber glass world I look forward to being more active. Thanks!
Hi: Bob Burleson... I am the one that's had both 5.0 & 5.0TA yet kept my same truck!!! Why change the trailer? When you need a new mold, due to new fridge vents, awning mounts, windows, etc, that is the time to change it. 8"s longer 8"s wider and 5"s taller doesn't sound like much but believe me it is!!! The dual axles with leaf springs means easier adjustment for different truck sizes. The 5.0 was just perfect for towing but the 5.0TA is even better...more stable. We ended up losing only 1mpg switching trailers so I'm happy. The 5.0TA is selling faster than the 5.0 ever did. People downsizing from the big 5th's found the 5.0 just too tight.
Reace and I had long talks about the new trailer and so far I'm really happy with what he did. We're in it for the long haul!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20140526_205625.jpg   IMG_20140603_162616.jpg  

Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 03:28 PM   #5

Name: Adrian
Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA
Manitoba
Hi Bob

Have you seen an Escape 5.0 yet? If not where inTX are you. We are going to the RGV (Mercedes)next mont with ours.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 03:29 PM   #6

Manitoba
I mean later in Jan.

Old 01-02-2015, 03:31 PM   #7

Manitoba
Bob thats a pic of of ours above. We bought Alf's!

Old 01-02-2015, 04:44 PM   #8

Name: Bob
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA
W. Mass
Many folks, including us, were looking for a bigger fiberglass trailer, the 21 and 5.0TA fit the bill. If I remember right, I had heard from Escape when the TA first came out that they went bigger to fit the ever growing 1/2 ton trucks. ETI had talked to the axle manufacturer to come up with the best axle setup for the new trailer.
Old 01-04-2015, 12:19 AM   #9

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
Fifth wheel preference?

First, the scamp isn't a fifth wheel, it's a proprietary setup, so be prepared for that.

Two axles are nice for handling, in case of a blowout, braking, etc.

I love my scamp 19. If I won the lottery, I would have an escape 5.0 ta, or a Bigfoot.

Jared J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 04:29 AM   #10

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Love mine! Waited a long time to get it, probably to the point members here were sick of hearing about it.
Attached Thumbnails
AllGrownUpWeb.jpg  
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 09:10 AM   #11

Registry
Hi: Donna D... We we weren't sick of hearing... your 5th. wheel flu symptoms just took longer to incubate!!!
Old 01-05-2015, 02:24 PM   #12

Thanks everybody for the fast comments - this really is a great community of folks.

Alf S. I have followed your discussions and was glad to see your input, you were one with the exact scenario I was asking about. Glad to hear it was a positive move.

emers 382, I'm in Houston so will keep my eyes open for a gathering close enough to come visitl. That would be the best way to make up my mind. It will be two adults and two medium sized dogs (and maybe a cat) so a little bigger is a little better.

Donna D. I ll add that you are some of the glue that keeps this baord running. You're comments are always on point and helpful. I followed your anticipation and enthusiasm with Ten Forward - and hear I am getting make a similar move. You, and others on the Board, have helped me decide on life after aluminum.

Jared J. Thanks also for the information. Your modifications actually have been a big help in knowing how these trailers can be configures for ones specific needs/desires. I'm currently like you, given enough resources (money) I'd be on the phone to Escape - but the reality is I will have to find a trailer for the right price that gets us out traveling. The Scamps seem to fit that bill better. I keep ooking for maybe a current 5.0 owner looking to upgrade to a TA.

Another criteria is no climbing over the other person at night - so the front/back sleeping loft is a priority. Looks like that limits it to a Scamp with a side bath unless there are some modifications. Minor ones are OK.
Old 01-05-2015, 09:36 PM   #13

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Bob, your comments really show what this site is all about. Help, info and suggestions. Gees, I've only been in a couple Casitas and Scamps but after reading 1000's of posts I've come close to answering someone with a Trilly question cuz I knew. But left it for David T, the Trilly King .
BTW, glad you joined up.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 12:16 PM   #14

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
Fifth wheel preference?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Love mine! Waited a long time to get it, probably to the point members here were sick of hearing about it.

I was sick of waiting for the pictures!

As for the sleeping deal, I'm going to mod mine differently than most. I'm setting mine up so I can flip the couch back up like when it's used for a bunk, but I'm going to have another cushion made to make it level with the bed. I'll make a ladder to get up there. Quick, easy, and I can throw the ship and ladder up on the bed, and still have my couch during the day, as it gets used all the time.

Jared J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 01:43 PM   #15

Name: Ted
Trailer: (Dark side)Crossroads Now
Glade Valley, North Carolina
We leave the top bunk up permanent, took out the bed area cushions and added a full size mattress that lies flat on the plywood and fits perfect between the FG upper slots. Taking out the bed area cushions and leaving the top bunk cushions on lets the mattress lay level. Still room on either side of the mattress (12"or so) once past the slots. With the extra 12" on each side we can lay things like glasses, Kleenex, books, my gun, etc. There also is some room left on the upper bunk; making it easy for us to climb up into the bed area. We purchased a nice comfortable mattress. So much more comfortable. I like to sleep with my feet hanging off the end of the bed. Don't know why. Maybe in case I need to jump up and run. LOL

Old 01-06-2015, 03:25 PM   #16

Thanks papa-t and Jared J; looks like you both did the same thing to have a full size front to back bed. I'm thinking you both have the side bath, is that right? From pictures and diagrams I've seen the front bath model creates a wall that forces "in and out" to a single passage on the curb side. I'm OK with a small ladder; keeps the dogs off the bed.

papa-t; you are lucky to live in such a pretty area, I grew up in Asheville and have missed it for 30 years.

Thanks gain for everybody's help!
Old 01-06-2015, 03:58 PM   #17

Registry
Hi: Bob Burleson... There's a 2012 5.0 Escape for sale over in Charlotte N.C. Might still be avail. on Escape Trailer Owners Community. Only one post with pictures. Worth a personal message or email.
Old 01-08-2015, 04:30 PM   #18

Name: Ted
Trailer: (Dark side)Crossroads Now
Glade Valley, North Carolina
Side bath is correct Bob
Old 01-09-2015, 06:32 AM   #19

Name: Tom
Trailer: Scamp 16
Michigan
Jared or Ted, is the top bunk hinge beefier than the bunk in the 13' or 16? I was told not to put more than 100 lbs on the top bunk in our 13'. If you have to climb up on your bed using the top bunk, does it seem sturdy enough? I've never been in a 19', but your mods for a larger bed seem pretty clever.

Tom
TomK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 11:51 AM   #20

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Burleson View Post
Thanks everybody for the fast comments - this really is a great community of folks.

Alf S. I have followed your discussions and was glad to see your input, you were one with the exact scenario I was asking about. Glad to hear it was a positive move.

emers 382, I'm in Houston so will keep my eyes open for a gathering close enough to come visitl. That would be the best way to make up my mind. It will be two adults and two medium sized dogs (and maybe a cat) so a little bigger is a little better.

Donna D. I ll add that you are some of the glue that keeps this baord running. You're comments are always on point and helpful. I followed your anticipation and enthusiasm with Ten Forward - and hear I am getting make a similar move. You, and others on the Board, have helped me decide on life after aluminum.

Jared J. Thanks also for the information. Your modifications actually have been a big help in knowing how these trailers can be configures for ones specific needs/desires. I'm currently like you, given enough resources (money) I'd be on the phone to Escape - but the reality is I will have to find a trailer for the right price that gets us out traveling. The Scamps seem to fit that bill better. I keep ooking for maybe a current 5.0 owner looking to upgrade to a TA.

Another criteria is no climbing over the other person at night - so the front/back sleeping loft is a priority. Looks like that limits it to a Scamp with a side bath unless there are some modifications. Minor ones are OK.
Hi: Bob Burleson... No climb over for us on either Escape we owned.
Attached Thumbnails
P1010122.jpg   P1030665.jpg