Finally - Bought a Compact Jr. - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-10-2007, 11:29 PM   #21

Trailer: Compact Jr 1973
[quote]Dear Compact Jr. Stacey:

Was it ME you saw at Yellowstone?!?!? I was there with my Compact Jr. August 5th - 9th. Just 'cause I'm not a couple (unless you are counting my labrador Benzer too) and my C.J. is a 1972, I'm not letting that deter me from thinking it was OUR (my and my brother's) C.J. that impressed you so much!!

Cory

Attachment 10032

Nope it wasn't you!
We were there the 4th of July week!
HOW NUTS!
Their trailer did look alot like yours though.
Same color at least! SWEET!
Tell us about your trailer!
Also- see pics of ours under the mods forum, just posted em'!
Yecats 001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 03:41 AM   #22

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
Quote:
Could not wait to tear out the rotten wood and stink!
Looks disgusting, though the pictures are a bit too small to see well.

I was worried when I bought mine that my brother-in-law, who did the purchase for me, might not have noticed an odor! But I was lucky and it was fine, not even a musty odor. Not having the skills of your husband, I definitely did not want to do a complete rebuild.

Bobbie
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 11:51 AM   #23

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Cool~ Thanks Chester!!
Do you have any pics of yours to share?
Attached Thumbnails
c1.jpg   c2.jpg  

c3.jpg  
Old 09-11-2007, 05:45 PM   #24

SWEET!
Any interior pics?

We hope to paint the trailer red to match the toyota.
We will trim it with chrome!
New chrome wheels too!
That is just the exterior.
The trailer is already primed on the outside!
When did you get yours?
Tell us about it please!
Old 09-11-2007, 05:49 PM   #25

Quote:
Looks disgusting, though the pictures are a bit too small to see well.

I was worried when I bought mine that my brother-in-law, who did the purchase for me, might not have noticed an odor! But I was lucky and it was fine, not even a musty odor. Not having the skills of your husband, I definitely did not want to do a complete rebuild.

Bobbie
Hey Bobbie!
Yeah- the pics are pretty small, my husband shrunk them too small.
We will re-post with larger pics later.
It's it funny how guys say they can't smell stuff.
I could smell it before they opened the door to the trailer....I knew immediately it would need to be gutted.
We just finished putting KILZ primer on the inside...you can see what it looks like in the above post. It immediately took
care of the odor!

We are thinking of coming up to Champoeg in October and visiting everyone. Fun to look at everyone's digs.
If we can...I kinda feel like we'd be barging in on someone elses party.

So what kind of trailer do you have?
How'd you come to find this website...and start getting involved?
Old 09-11-2007, 05:51 PM   #26

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
SWEET!
Any interior pics?

We hope to paint the trailer red to match the toyota.
We will trim it with chrome!
New chrome wheels too!
That is just the exterior.
The trailer is already primed on the outside!
When did you get yours?
Tell us about it please!
can't find inside picturies.
The unit was being used for a kids play house.It was painted some weired colors on the inside.I bought it and used for one summer after i had fixed it up.I sold it last year and its new home is just down the road from me.
Old 09-11-2007, 05:56 PM   #27

Registry
Quote:
So what kind of trailer do you have?
How'd you come to find this website...and start getting involved?
I can't believe how fast you guys are getting going on the redo. I'm still trying to decide if I want to paint or not. A sailboat person I know did a wet-sand on his gel coat and restored the color beautifully with no paint job- he tried all the polishes and stuff first but that is what worked. So I might try that, or might paint eventually. I just have a faded off-white gel coat, though, nothing to cover up!

I bought a Trailswest Campster last spring. It's similar to your Compact but the pop up is smaller (just goes a foot or so into the dinette area, plus over the kitchen.) I haven't done a lot so far, as I want to live with the setup for awhile and gradually make any changes I want. I haven't even had the pop-top fabric redone- it works, and I'm torn between redoing it the way it is, with windows that zip closed, and having an all-screen pop-top that I can just close when it is too cold. Down here in California cold weather is usually not our problem.

Bobbie
Old 09-11-2007, 06:03 PM   #28

Quote:
I can't believe how fast you guys are getting going on the redo. I'm still trying to decide if I want to paint or not. A sailboat person I know did a wet-sand on his gel coat and restored the color beautifully with no paint job- he tried all the polishes and stuff first but that is what worked. So I might try that, or might paint eventually. I just have a faded off-white gel coat, though, nothing to cover up!

I bought a Trailswest Campster last spring. It's similar to your Compact but the pop up is smaller (just goes a foot or so into the dinette area, plus over the kitchen.) I haven't done a lot so far, as I want to live with the setup for awhile and gradually make any changes I want. I haven't even had the pop-top fabric redone- it works, and I'm torn between redoing it the way it is, with windows that zip closed, and having an all-screen pop-top that I can just close when it is too cold. Down here in California cold weather is usually not our problem.

Bobbie
Yeah- we put the trailer into the garage on Sunday as a worm and by spring we hope it emerges as a beautiful butterfly!
My husband is so excited he can barely contain himself!
On Sunday when we were gutting it...the neighbors came up and said, "Can I order a chimichanga" - Thinking we were going to open a burrito stand! That paint is soooo awful! You should have seen the when we were driving home...it was hilarious!
I shrunk down in my seat and said to my husband, " can you pass that guy, he is laughing at us".
Hmm, we will have to check out gel coats. I think he is buying the paint tomorrow.
Hey- we aren't far from Fresno!
My college Roomate lives in Porterville!
Old 09-11-2007, 06:12 PM   #29

Registry
Well, your gel coat has already been painted over, so you can't do anything about it. The gel coat is paint that is put on in the mold, essentially. Mine isn't really too bad, but is oxidized a little, and so far I haven't gotten it up to a great shine like you see on some of these trailers. The gel coat can be polished and refreshed up to a point, and then you have gone through it, and only a new paint job will help.

When I saw this boat I thought he'd painted it, as he redid the boat almost entirely and it has such a gorgeous shine and color. But the owner said he'd done a wet sand of the gel coat, then polished. It looked like new- the picture below doesn't do it justice.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Corndog.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	102.9 KB
ID:	10043

Bobbie
Old 09-11-2007, 11:28 PM   #30

Trailer: Compact Jr 1972
Teased about a chimichanga stand?
That's hilarious! The neighbors across the street from me HAVE a mobile chimichanga stand so my Compact Jr. and it are always looking at each other! (And I dare say, their chimichanga stand looks a lot newer than your C.J.)

Cory

P.S. That awful green is sort of back in (and besides, I have the same avocado-colored stove as you and am leaving it that way) & I sort of wish mine was. Mine's been painted white. Actually, it appears to be a nice yellow underneath (unheard of for RV's nowadays, eh?). Anyone know how to get the paint off nicely?

By the way, I was wondering if there's any way, Stacey, you could weigh your C.J. while there's nothing in it. Only a selfish reason, I'm just wondering how much the stuff in mine weighs, as my PT Cruiser isn't really supposed to be pulling quite as much as it weighs now. But I'm sure all the other CJ owners are curious what the base weight is, too!

A few pics of my Compact Jr., per your request. It was billed as "fully restored" but mechanically sounded worse off than yours. Steve so far has fixed the electical, propane, water, and wastewater systems! But it didn't stink (actually, Steve & I both have allergies so our noses are plugged up enough we can't smell much anyway, I think!). 2 photos are from when I bought it 11 months ago, and 2 from after my brother's first round of improvements, which included some clean-up & painting:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Compact_Jr._as_I_bought_it_front_view_less_pixels.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	10050
Attached Thumbnails
Compact_Jr._as_I_bought_it_interior_L_less_pixels.jpg   Compact_Jr._11_06_after___impm__ts_outer_L_view_less_pixels.jpg  

Compact_Jr._inner_L_11_06_p_impm__ts_less_pixels.jpg  
Cory Hilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 08:07 AM   #31

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr and 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
Welcome to our little fellowship of Compact/Hunter owners! We've been out of town for a while so I'm late to the party. Here is a link to more Compact Jr. photos.
Tom Trostel

http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/ViewPhoto?...&p=70829464
Old 09-13-2007, 08:45 AM   #32

Registry
Stacey,
I've never seen, or even heard of, an owner's manual for the Compact Jr or any other Hunter- made trailer.

Tom Trostel
Old 09-13-2007, 10:15 AM   #33

Trailer: 1974 Ventura
Tom, I so enjoyed your photo album over my coffee this am. Definitely a labour of love devoted to your wee Compact. A favorite of mine was the tops for your stove & sink, and the table is exquisite.
bonnie w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 09:13 PM   #34

Quote:
Welcome to our little fellowship of Compact/Hunter owners! We've been out of town for a while so I'm late to the party. Here is a link to more Compact Jr. photos.
Tom Trostel

http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/ViewPhoto?...&p=70829464
THANKS TOM!

We really enjoyed your photo album! Lots of sweet work went into that!
Will you be at the Rally on Oct 13-14 in Oregon?
We'd love to talk more about your mods!
Thanks
Old 09-13-2007, 10:11 PM   #35

Registry
Thanks for all the nice comments about the projects on our Compact Jr! We are attending the Pineknot Rally here in Texas Oct. 4-7. One trip per year from Texas to Oregon is our limit and we were at the Oregon Gathering in July. We haven't planned 2008 trips yet, so we may see you down the road.

Tom Trostel