Finally cought one, Fiberglass Camper Newbie - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-30-2012, 07:11 PM   #1

Name: Mike
Trailer: Trillium
New Hampshire
Registry
Finally cought one, Fiberglass Camper Newbie

After months plugged into Craigslist I finally found a 13' fiberglass camper. Wife and I picked up a 1976 Trillium. Not sure what kind of deal it was, paid $300, but it needs lots of work. Door was loose and not latching, need new tires. Rear window has two broken panes. All windows need re-sealing. Want to do new cabinet doors, new lighting, new covers for cushions. Need a fridge. Removed heater (we don't camp in the cold), want to make more storage space there. Needs a new or homemade front window cover (rock guard?) Return original trailer lights to working conditions, temporary lights are on there now. These are just the things I know about. I have been reading alot on this site the last few days...very helpful. Hope I can do as well as some of the projects I have seen on this site. Here are some pics.

msinger919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 07:14 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Hi Mike, welcome to FiberglassRV. We're glad you're here.

$300? I haven't looked at the pictures (yet), but know there are others who paid far more for something described in just as rough shape... so, they'll think you SCORED!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 07:37 PM   #3

Trailer: Trillium 4500
Registry
NICE!!!!! You did very well. $300 is a steal! Be careful what you tear out and don't throw stuff away yet (ie heaters, fridge, etc). You may find people on here who need it to put their trailers back to original. ENJOY!
Steve Hammel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 08:27 PM   #4

New Hampshire
Registry
Scored?...I hope so, but not sure

Thanks Donna. I have been eyeing one (a Burro) in the neighborhood for a couple years, but the owner is not selling. I was hesitant to take it at first, but maybe I did ok.

Steve, I scrapped the heater already. I didn't even think about someone possibly needing it. I promise not to throw anything else out before checking if there is a need. I may be trashing the tail lights for new ones. I'm not hung up on it being original, just nice.

I did name it already...the Trillium Falcon. I'll need to use the "force" to get this thing done by spring time!
Old 10-30-2012, 09:11 PM   #5

Trailer: Trillium 4500
Registry
Someone on here was just looking for original heater parts within the last week. Thus my comment, no big deal.
Did you know that the Trillium was named after a flower? I was talking with one of the original founders of the company and he filled me in. Pretty interesting how it all came to be.
You're much better off going with modern LED technology for the lights.
Good Luck!
Steve Hammel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 09:52 PM   #6

Trailer: 13 ft Compact II
Registry
Thumbs up Congratulations

You certainly did well with your find on Craigslist! $300 is quite a steal, even with the work it needs.
Enjoy working on it. There are many here who have a Trillium, so help is available.
A nice winter project you have there!

Best,
Fran
74 Compact II
francene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 10:04 PM   #7

Name: kootenai girl
Trailer: 1976 Trillium 1300
British Columbia
Looks like you got a great deal. If your door has the original working bargman lock they are worth a few hundred dollars!
What is the condition of the fiberglass cabinets inside and the ensolite?
kootenaigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 10:07 PM   #8

Name: chris
Trailer: 1976 13' trillium
British Columbia
Wow, I paid $2000 for something that wasn't much better than yours. It took me 2 months to go from what you have to something we are really proud of. It is also a '76 Trillium and we pretty much removed everything and had to deal with a new rock guard as well. The windows are a lot of work but if you know where to find seals and how to clean them you can have them done fairly quickly. Feel free to ask if you have any questions. Our trailer information can be found here
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...one-53465.html

There might be something there that you find useful. Otherwise good luck and enjoy.

Chris
chris loewen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 08:44 AM   #9

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Mike, As you can see you guys did great with your purchase! Screaming deal in my opinion...............

Just wanted to say, Welcome to fiberglassrv and Congrats! Glad you joined us, make your trailer into what is comfortable for you and your family. Enjoy!
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 08:50 AM   #10

Trailer: 1976 Scamp 13 ft
Registry
I think you got a great deal for what you have. I paid way more and mine was in much worse shape. Nice find. If you don't have to replace any floor plywood, the rest of the repairs you mentioned shouldn't be to much of a problem to fix.
Old 10-31-2012, 09:58 AM   #11

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
For $300, that is a nice Trillium! If you have any second thoughts, I would give you twice what you payed. You have the shelves front and back. The floor looks nice too. It looks like you have a fairly optioned up unit, that just needs some work, Does the door have a window? How is the ensolite?
Too bad about the heater. They are worth about $100. For a fridge, a Dometic RM211 will fit. They are fairly common. I sold one recently, for $100.
If you want to sell your tail lights, send me a PM.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 10:55 AM   #12

Name: Charlie
Trailer: '83 Burro
Virginia
Registry
If your floor is solid, taking everything else you mention into account, you paid about 20% or less of what that trailer is bringing... I call that a screaming deal! Oh yeah, and welcome to the forum as well!

If the door hinges are not solid in the wall, the PO of my Burro found a great fix... he glass bedded an aluminum plate between the inner and outer shell so there was a good solid base to screw into. It really worked well.

Since your tail light assemblies (and lenses) look to be in good shape, you might consider the LED conversions of the existing set rather than going to all the work of total replacement. Just a thought.

Froggie
Green Frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 11:34 AM   #13

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Nice to see that there are still some reasonably priced fixer-uppers out there- great find, Mike!

Before getting too caught up in the cosmetics, my advice is to assure yourself of the soundness of the trailer for towing, and in the case of a Trillium of that vintage that begins with frame inspection...

There was a design problem in the '70's that led to the necessity for reinforcing plates to be welded to the tongue just before the "bend"...recall notices were sent out, but not all 1300's got this work done.

I can't tell from the pictures if yours is reinforced there or not...

Brakes, if present, may also need attention...

Keep us posted!

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 11:47 AM   #14

Name: Ron
Trailer: Trillium 13 ft (green grape)
Ontario
Mike
You got a great deal ! The fix up is a labour of love. The body looks sound, and as the trilliums are fiberglass all way round they are pretty solid. The ensolite & inside trim is availible from Trillium/Outback in Calgary.
Keep posting pict as you progess and don't be shy on asking lots of questions. A lot of FG trailers have been restores by many on this site.
Ron
RRJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 04:50 PM   #15

New Hampshire
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by kootenaigirl View Post
Looks like you got a great deal. If your door has the original working bargman lock they are worth a few hundred dollars!
What is the condition of the fiberglass cabinets inside and the ensolite?
Ensolite is loose in the front corners, but not ripped. The cabinets are fine, but the cabinet doors need attention.
Old 10-31-2012, 04:53 PM   #16

New Hampshire
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris loewen View Post
Wow, I paid $2000 for something that wasn't much better than yours. It took me 2 months to go from what you have to something we are really proud of. It is also a '76 Trillium and we pretty much removed everything and had to deal with a new rock guard as well. The windows are a lot of work but if you know where to find seals and how to clean them you can have them done fairly quickly. Feel free to ask if you have any questions. Our trailer information can be found here
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...one-53465.html

There might be something there that you find useful. Otherwise good luck and enjoy.

Chris
Nice job on your camper. Mine seems a bit overwhelming at the moment but I have to get a plan together, that should help.
Old 10-31-2012, 04:54 PM   #17

New Hampshire
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
For $300, that is a nice Trillium! If you have any second thoughts, I would give you twice what you payed. You have the shelves front and back. The floor looks nice too. It looks like you have a fairly optioned up unit, that just needs some work, Does the door have a window? How is the ensolite?
Too bad about the heater. They are worth about $100. For a fridge, a Dometic RM211 will fit. They are fairly common. I sold one recently, for $100.
If you want to sell your tail lights, send me a PM.
David, not sure when i will get to it, but when I start working on the lights I'll try to let you know about the tail lights.
Old 10-31-2012, 04:58 PM   #18

New Hampshire
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post
Nice to see that there are still some reasonably priced fixer-uppers out there- great find, Mike!

Before getting too caught up in the cosmetics, my advice is to assure yourself of the soundness of the trailer for towing, and in the case of a Trillium of that vintage that begins with frame inspection...

There was a design problem in the '70's that led to the necessity for reinforcing plates to be welded to the tongue just before the "bend"...recall notices were sent out, but not all 1300's got this work done.

I can't tell from the pictures if yours is reinforced there or not...

Brakes, if present, may also need attention...

Keep us posted!

Francesca
Francesca, thanks for the info. The frame seems pretty solid. I crawled around under it and frame and axel are nice and straight and all I could see is some light surface rust. I don't think the trailer update addressing a recall has been performed. Didn't notice any kind of plate added to the trailer tongue.
Old 10-31-2012, 05:00 PM   #19

New Hampshire
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRJR View Post
Mike
You got a great deal ! The fix up is a labour of love. The body looks sound, and as the trilliums are fiberglass all way round they are pretty solid. The ensolite & inside trim is availible from Trillium/Outback in Calgary.
Keep posting pict as you progess and don't be shy on asking lots of questions. A lot of FG trailers have been restores by many on this site.
Ron
I guess my first question is can the ensolite be stretched? The corners are loose and the ensolite seems to have shrunk a bit. I read about the trick to straighted up the t-moulding, it worked great.
Old 10-31-2012, 06:04 PM   #20

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by msinger919 View Post
I guess my first question is can the ensolite be stretched? The corners are loose and the ensolite seems to have shrunk a bit. I read about the trick to straighted up the t-moulding, it worked great.
Yes, the ensolite can be stretched. Just like the T-moulding, heat helps. Re-attaching it is a process of shaving it off, till you have a flap, so that you can get to the back of it. Clean off the contact cement from both the ensolite and the fibreglass. Then reapply contact cement to both surfaces. Let dry. When you re-attach, you only get one shot. Having the ensolite pre-stretched should help. For the corner pieces, stick the point where the corner piece meets the roof, and the side pieces first. Then stick the edges. What is left is slowly worked from the outside into the corner.
Or so I have read. I have not done this yet my self, but I will need to on two of my Trilliums.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote