Finally Got One! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-27-2010, 09:44 AM   #1

Name: Kyle
Trailer: '73 Boler
Ontario
Registry
Finally Got One!

I just wanted to pass on the exciting news that I am now the proud owner of a 1793 13' boler. My wife isn't thrilled (yet), so I have to share with all of you because you share the passion of these little trailers. lots of work to be done, but that's what winters are for in central Ontario. Look for my posts as I ask for advice. First order of business, clean this thing, top to bottom, inside and out! Someone said "vim" was a good start, is that the cream or the gen? then fibreglass repair stuff (I used it on oxidation on my canoe) and then wax. Any additional thoughts or changes to this routine? New paint job will be down the road. Inside: lots of cleaners at the ready including some elbow grease and two kids. The walls have that foamy plastic type stuff covered with plastic seam covers. I am thinking I could replace that seam sealer with a caulking? Not a permanent idea, but will clean up the seams in my opinion. Over the winter, new cushions (nearly 40 year old cushions are part of my wifes discomfort with the shape it's in). May not get to the wiring, water, frame, tires and lights until next spring. I don't have a garage, will slow down the progress.
Anyway, I'll post photos as things evolve. I look forward to any thoughts.
Regards,
Kyle
astroboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 10:22 AM   #2

Trailer: Boler American (#3104)
Registry
Welcome!

Wow, 1793 ... that sure is a vintage camper! Sorry, just kidding! Couldn't resist.

What sort of Boler is it, do you know? If it's a Boler American it would be great to get the serial number for the register.

Anyway ... the caulk for the seams is a great idea and you can find some great examples with a search.

I'm sure cleaning and sprucing it up will help your wife appreciate it more. It did with mine.

I'm also a big advocate of sprucing up the wheels for an inexpensive yet huge improvement in looks.

Good luck!
CliveAlive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 10:30 AM   #3

Ontario
Registry
Thanks for the good wishes. It's a boler manufactured by Earlton Manufacturing in Earlton Ontario. I don't think that makes it an American? Anyway, yes, will be looking for good tire hub cap to replace the stuff on it now, but need a new spare tire, so it will be a project in itself.
Old 10-27-2010, 11:42 AM   #4

Trailer: 1978 Boler 13 ft
Hey Kyle!!
welcome !!
our egg was also manufactured in Earlton but in "78 so they are related !We were in Earlton this past summer with the Bolerama 2010 group saw where she was made!!
where you planning on camping when you get her done up?
(notice I'm in Port --but don't hold that against me!)
Ann B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 12:10 PM   #5

Ontario
Registry
Hey there, I'm in Midland! we could be related in other ways than our boler...I'm sure we know each other, or play the 6 degrees of separation and find it's only two! That happened going to university when I ended up bunking with another Port guy (John the dentist)
We are regular campers, but I need to do some work to get this "campable". Do you have someone local you get any work done? I think the kids and I will certainly do the bolerama. I want to get some ideas before I do to many mods. Just get this one safe, clean and functional, then steal all the ideas from other boler owners.
Kyle
Old 10-27-2010, 08:47 PM   #6

Trailer: 1978 Boler 13 ft
OMG John A the dentist went to high school (MSS) with my daughters & used to live one street behind my middle Daughter --in Wyevale(where the water causes twins) --how many degrees is that? Did you go to High school in Midland?
we really haven't had any work done-new tires form the "tire busters"-do you know Jason?
Ann B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 09:26 PM   #7

Trailer: U-Haul VT16
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by astroboy View Post
I just wanted to pass on the exciting news that I am now the proud owner of a 1793 13' boler...
Ah, the French Revolutionary model. I heard about this one. It comes with the Louis XIV dinette!

Seriously, welcome to the forum, Kyle, and check out the thread on Red Max floor polish. It might be just the thing!

Regards,

Matt
Old 10-27-2010, 10:15 PM   #8

Ontario
Registry
Hey there, I'm in Midland! we could be related in other ways than our boler...I'm sure we know each other, or play the 6 degrees of separation and find it's only two! That happened going to university when I ended up bunking with another Port guy (John the dentist)
We are regular campers, but I need to do some work to get this "campable". Do you have someone local you get any work done? I think the kids and I will certainly do the bolerama. I want to get some ideas before I do to many mods. Just get this one safe, clean and functional, then steal all the ideas from other boler owners.
Kyle
Old 10-27-2010, 11:36 PM   #9

Trailer: U-Haul VT16
Registry
The thread on Red Max is here:http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ell-43004.html

Search is up in the bar at the top of the page, but it isn't very selective, I have found.

Regards,

Matt
Old 10-28-2010, 06:35 AM   #10

Ontario
Registry
OMG John A the dentist went to high school (MSS) with my daughters & used to live one street behind my middle Daughter --in Wyevale(where the water causes twins) --how many degrees is that? Did you go to High school in Midland?
we really haven't had any work done-new tires form the "tire busters"-do you know Jason?
Old 10-28-2010, 03:35 PM   #11

Name: Peter
Trailer: 1971 Amerigo
Colorado
If you plan to paint are you sure you want to apply a surface coat that could be so difficult to remove? Might a coat of wax suffice and be easier to deal with when painting?
Peter_Crowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 06:09 AM   #12

Ontario
Registry
Matt, wow, it took me quite a while to catch on...couldn't read my own typo. I thought you were using some sort of inside boler language that I just didn't know! Thanks. How does one search for a specific thread?