Finally!!! Pride in Ownership - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-03-2017, 03:59 PM   #1

Name: Bob
Trailer: In the market
Odessa, Florida
Finally!!! Pride in Ownership

We've been looking for a clean, priced right, "egg" for a couple years now. We've seen a lot of junk. It's so disheartening to see how some folks take care of , or not take care of things. I have been told I'm a bit picky, though. I viewed a Bigfoot 175, for sale this morning which was immaculate. It definitely showed pride in ownership. I crawled over, under and throughout it. Not a mark on her. Not a speck of rust on the frame. Not a bad smell in her. I had never seen a Bigfoot other than pictures so I risked a drive. After speaking with a Bigfoot rep I decided the "true" weight was a bit more than my target. I'm in the market for something under 2000 dry. Rep took her number and came up with 3300-3700, dry.
Please people, as my Pop used to say- If you can't take care of it, you don't deserve it.
Gator Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 04:13 PM   #2

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Hi Bob, I didn't see any mention in any of your posts to what your tug is or why you want to stay under 2K#. A more robust tug would open up a lot of TTs. Sounds like this one filled the ticket other than the weight. BTW, great handle .
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 12:00 PM   #3

Name: Sherri
Trailer: 2012 Casita Spirit
St. Petersburg, FL
Registry
Hi Bob,

You may want to come to our January Egg Rally in Live Oak, FL to see some very well cared for eggs. The registration is now closed, but you are welcome to come Saturday, 10-2. That is when we will be showing our trailers. We have 72 eggs coming. Learn more about it at www.facebook.com\groups\floridarally Click on the events tab and it will show details. Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator Egg View Post
We've been looking for a clean, priced right, "egg" for a couple years now. We've seen a lot of junk. It's so disheartening to see how some folks take care of , or not take care of things. I have been told I'm a bit picky, though. I viewed a Bigfoot 175, for sale this morning which was immaculate. It definitely showed pride in ownership. I crawled over, under and throughout it. Not a mark on her. Not a speck of rust on the frame. Not a bad smell in her. I had never seen a Bigfoot other than pictures so I risked a drive. After speaking with a Bigfoot rep I decided the "true" weight was a bit more than my target. I'm in the market for something under 2000 dry. Rep took her number and came up with 3300-3700, dry.
Please people, as my Pop used to say- If you can't take care of it, you don't deserve it.
Sherritini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 02:04 PM   #4

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
my tug

I guess I have to splain things again. I bought a ford edge to pull our A-Liner this worked fairly well until at 75 I had to have serious back surgery again this left me not capable of lifting the sides of the A-Liner! we found a 13f scamper it is still under the 2k limit of the ford edge which I think is capable of pulling more.

for some reason I do not like the ford edge it is even a titanium model with lots of bells and whistles. it has ecoboost and does a fair job I don't burn up the highway anyway but ford sucks on their electronics I am used to gm much more easy and natural to use.

I have too much money in this tug to sell it right now so we are pretty much stuck for the time being. But there will be a good moment to sell it and get a good gm product!

as for the egg thing we plan to attend in feb in quartzite since we have no bathroom we have to figure this out if we boondock there!

hope this answers all questions

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 02:07 PM   #5

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
bob one of the reasons I purchase my stuff used is in these cases if it has a dent or a scratch I don't worry about it.

take my word for it I have bought new cars trucks other things new and I just don't like depreciation or worry about the occasional scratch or dent. I don't spend much time washing and waxing good for those that do.

I would love to have one of those 60k rigs don't get me wrong I just would worry myself to death with it!

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 06:13 AM   #6

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Gator Egg, I hear you. I sure hate to see anything abused or neglected as if it were a throwaway. We buy most vehicles used, but like you, I'm pretty picky.

Our 4-year-old used Scamp did come with a few dings on the exterior and looked like it had never seen a coat of wax. I'm sure that helped the price, which was a good thing. Some TLC- cleaning and waxing, new decals, replacing some rusting hardware- has it looking pretty sharp. The dings are still there, though, so like k0wtz, it's nice not having to stress over the first chip in the gelcoat. Call it a "patina" and it sounds better.

The interior is where it counts- that's where we live. "My dirt is cleaner than anyone else's," as someone once quipped. Our Scamp still looked and smelled new inside, helped by our dry Southwest climate. No leaks and no pet or cigarette odors, which are huge turn-offs for me. Most important, the "boss" approved.

In the end I believe in taking care of things so they can be used, not kept as garage queens. You may have to accept a few warts in a used trailer. Molded trailers are fairly forgiving of neglect and can be made like new again.

Under 2000# dry is pretty restrictive. Even an empty but fully optioned 16' Scamp can exceed that. What is your on-the-road weight limit or target? You might want to see the sticky thread "Trailer Weights in the Real World" in the General Chat section. Post #297 links to handy spreadsheet of the data.

Best wishes!
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote