Finally Rented a Scamp! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-22-2019, 02:38 PM   #1

Name: Naomi
Trailer: In the market
Illinois
Finally Rented a Scamp!

Just wanted to say for anyone wanting to rent a Scamp 13 Layout 1 in the midwest, check out Route Fifty Campers, based near Cincinnati, OH. Debbie, the owner, towed it out to my site and it was all set up and stocked with the essentials. Great test camp in rainy and windy weather. I thought the rates were fair and the customer service was excellent. Really solidified what I want and don’t want in my own Scamp, someday!

We were at Stonelick State Park, site 23. Sweet little park. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2707.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	427.8 KB
ID:	128985
Chitown Naomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 04:34 PM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chitown Naomi View Post
...Really solidified what I want and don’t want in my own Scamp, someday!
That's a cute one! I'd love to hear your thoughts on what worked for you and what didn't.
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 08:13 AM   #3

Illinois
I always thought I’d never cook inside, but being able to make a warm breakfast for the kids while it rained was awesome. The fridge was also awesome, so out goes my plan to just use an ice box. I found the hand pump sink annoying, and I wished for a window above the stove. I thought a big bed would be a must, but the normal bed seemed fine, though tight quarters. I was surprised how much I wanted privacy in the Scamp. There was a steady parade of folks coming by for a look, so that was weird. I wanted a better way to keep the interior drier, so the built in propane heater might be in order. I’m on the fence about AC. I switched it off both nights as my kids were shivering, so probably a good extractor fan would be sufficient. I’m on the fence about the bunks...wondering if a 16 with a side dinette and front bunk would be better.
Old 04-23-2019, 09:36 AM   #4

Arizona
Registry
Finally Rented a Scamp!

You might feel differently about the A/C in August.

Beyond that, your thoughts are exactly mine on every point. Thinking about a 16-4 (due to the large, split galley) for retirement and also debating about A/C. We don’t need it in the West, but the humid East is another story. At least all Scamps are now reinforced for a future install, so you can change your mind more easily.

Also debating about the fridge. Our used trailer only has the icebox, and we’ve managed without. For the future I go round in circles: propane, DC compressor, icebox.

Decisions, decisions!
Old 04-24-2019, 08:10 AM   #5

Name: L (aka Scout)
Trailer: Scamp
Nevada
Smile Fiberglass Eggs

Naomi, plan on always having curious folks wanting to see the fiberglass eggs, wherever you go. Most are very interested in what the trailers can contain and the conveniences available in such a small area (everything we need but space, right?). The little trailers really sell themselves by inspection alone. You will have many conversations about traveling & tow vehicles & past experiences with numerous polite & amazed strangers. Nothing weird about it, just human nature.
LBJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 09:49 AM   #6

Arizona
Registry
Finally Rented a Scamp!

There’s more open space in our 13’ Scamp than in our hand-me-down 20’ Class B van camper. The former feels roomy, easy to move around, lots of windows and natural ventilation. The latter is very closed-in, and I’m always banging my head on something. Of course, it packs in a lot more features: fridge, microwave, entertainment center, wet bath, bigger bed, and more storage. But wow! It’s tight!

One’s gotta go, and I’ll let you guess which...
Old 04-24-2019, 01:55 PM   #7

Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chitown Naomi View Post
Just wanted to say for anyone wanting to rent a Scamp 13 Layout 1 in the midwest, check out Route Fifty Campers, based near Cincinnati, OH. Debbie, the owner, towed it out to my site and it was all set up and stocked with the essentials. Great test camp in rainy and windy weather. I thought the rates were fair and the customer service was excellent. Really solidified what I want and don’t want in my own Scamp, someday!
That's a funny coincidence. I just Googled images of "scamp trailer" the other day because of Whit's post about his hitch height, and the search included pictures of this one. It looks really nice inside.

https://www.outdoorsy.com/rv-rental/..._93561-listing

https://routefiftycampers.com/

Personally, I think the rental route is a great way to go. In fact, it might have saved us considerably as we initially bought a trailer that wasn't a good fit for us. There seem to be a few more rental places cropping up around the country as interest in RVing continues to run high.

Maybe we should start a thread to list rental opportunities around the country - ?

Civilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 09:28 AM   #8

Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBJohnson View Post
Nothing weird about it, just human nature.

I know, and to be honest I would have done the same had there been a fiberglass trailer where I was camping as I’ve been dying to see one IRL. It was my first time camping solo with my kids, who are still young, so it just made me feel exposed. Made me wonder if I want that kind of high-profile in the future. My husband is the social butterfly, so maybe I would have felt differently if he’d been with us.
Old 05-01-2019, 10:36 AM   #9

Name: Matt in SoAZ
Trailer: Scamp 13
Arizona
Quite a few Army and Air Force installations rent Scamps and Casitas. We recently fixed a left-home-without-the-Scamp no-hotel-rooms available situation by renting a Scamp 13 from Davis Monthan in Tucson. The Scamp was quite “used” as might be expected in a rental, but it saved the week for us.
rancilio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 11:11 AM   #10

Name: Charlie
Trailer: '83 Burro
Virginia
Registry
Wow! For a price like that, if this service were available (and practical) in Winchester, VA I could just about sell my Burro and not have to worry about upkeep, tow vehicle, annual taxes, etc etc and just rent on an as-needed basis a few times a year. That is a sweet setup.

Regards,
Froggie
Green Frog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp