Find north without a compass - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

Old 01-04-2008, 09:59 AM   #29
Name: Larry
Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Send a message via MSN to Larry&Carrie

Best solution I have found over the years----- ask my hunting partner which way North is, then go in opposite direction..... (has worked for about 30 years) Larry

Larry&Carrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 02:44 PM   #30
Name: Greg
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19
What's North?

Scamp Owners International
2005 Escape 17-B
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 10:14 PM   #31
Trailer: 1999 Starcraft Star Lite 25RQH
YUP!... I'm on about my 5th GPS dating back to 1998.

Typical trip with hand held GPS goes something like this.
Before leaving home put stuff in daypack, lunch, water, a warm jacket, camera, and bag of safety stuff. Oh ya, better put the GPS in there too.
At trail head, through the pack on and head up the trail. Interesting game trail heading up the side of the hill with fresh deer tracks. Up the game trail, then to the next one, etc. Oops, where's the car?

Remember that the GPS is located in the pack. Pull out the GPS and turn it on, wait for a good lock. Now I know exactly where I am. Check to see if I set a waypoint for the trail head. As I scan the list of way points there's a half dozen goecaches listed that are a couple hundred miles away. There's my house, it's only 125 miles away. Dang, no waypoint set for the trail head or anything close to here. It's a long walk back to my house but what else am I to do?
Hey did all you guys forget. This is what the bread crumbs or popcorn are for. Leave a trail from your car and you will never be lost. If the birds start to eat the trail markers, just follow the birds back to your cars. Yours in Bolering. Jim

Jim Stacey is offline   Reply With Quote