Fire extinguishers - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 01-03-2006, 09:40 PM   #15

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
This:
Quote:
[b]Recreational Vehicle Fires Can Be Dangerous And Costly
State Fire Marshal Nancy Orr urges Oregonians to protect themselves from fire when using their recreational vehicles this summer. To reduce the chance of fire, Orr has the following safety tips for travel trailer and motor home owners:
Before leaving home:

Make sure the vehicle has working smoke alarms. Test them before you leave and at least once a week during your trip.
Plan and practice an escape route. Make sure exits are not blocked.
Install an ABC rated fire extinguisher near each exit, and know how to use it.
Is from this site: Oreogn State Fire Marshall

Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 09:43 PM   #16

Trailer: 75 Boler 13 ft
Quote:
Ive always thought a CO2 or Haylon would be better inside a fiberglass RV. They dont leave a big white carosive mess all over everything?
Please DO NOT use CO2 or Halon...they put out fire by starving it of OXYGEN, the stuff WE need to breathe
This type of extinguisher is NOT safe to use in a confined space. I think a FG trailer would qualify as a confined space.

Old 01-03-2006, 09:51 PM   #17

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
I've also done a bit of searching. So far I haven't found any regulations requiring flare or triangles, and fire extinguishers. I see a lot of recommendations about them. So maybe what I saw was "recommendation" changed to "regulation".

I'm carrying both a fire extinguisher and triangles. I sure hope I never need to use them.
Old 01-03-2006, 10:18 PM   #18

Name: Gina D.
Trailer: '77 Leocraft 17 & Former Burro owner and fan!
West Coast USA
Registry
As do we all Byron.

Thanks for the info on Halon and CO2 Norm. I will trek back to Camping World and get an ABC extinguisher.. tho some of my teachers think I already have one.
Old 01-04-2006, 05:37 AM   #19

Trailer: 77 Scamp 13 ft
I would think if somthing were burning in my trailer.... its prolly somthing making some smoke that isnt very good for me to breath?
I would also emagine if you use any type of extinguisher in your trailer you prolly will be going for the door quite quickly.

I do understand your point Norm.
Old 01-06-2006, 01:18 PM   #20

Name: Brian
Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Alberta
We seriously looked at a "stick-built" trailer before we bought the Boler, and I doubt our "fiberglass" unit has any significant advantage in a fire over that "stickie". Both have a fiberglass outer skin (the Boler's is much thicker), foam inside (polystyrene in the stickie sandwich walls, thin soft foam lining the Boler) and lots of wood (inner skin and cabinets of the stickie, all of the cabinets in our Boler B1700, floor in both). Neither is wood-framed. I would not want to be in either in a fire.

Last year we carried the extinguisher which came with the Boler (small dry chemical), in a bracket on the wall across from the door. I just bought a larger ABC-rated dry chemical extinguisher to replace it, to be installed by spring. The extinguisher is to handle small fires, such as a kitchen accident, before they get out of hand. If the trailer interior is significantly involved in fire, I'm planning on unhooking the van (if attached), closing the propane valves, and getting us (including the cat) far away. You couldn't pay me enough to stay in the trailer fighting a major fire with any kind of extinguisher.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 01:21 PM   #21

Name: Brian
Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Alberta
Bear spray: we have it, and I have no idea where it is. The panic to find the spray might be as effective as the spray itself unless the bear is so close that it's likely too late. Knowing that the spray is around does help my wife sleep better, which makes it worthwhile.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 10:10 PM   #22

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
Quote:
Bear spray: we have it, and I have no idea where it is. The panic to find the spray might be as effective as the spray itself unless the bear is so close that it's likely too late. Knowing that the spray is around does help my wife sleep better, which makes it worthwhile.
Can I get Chipmonk and Jay spray. I've had much more trouble with them in all many years of backpacking than bears. Never have seen a bear outside of a National Park.

Old 01-06-2006, 10:18 PM   #23

Name: Gina D.
Trailer: '77 Leocraft 17 & Former Burro owner and fan!
West Coast USA
Registry
Don't forget the slug spray!

I have never seen a bear in Oregon either, but if I did, I would throw my Fire Extinguisher at it! (Come to think of it, I would throw it at the slug too)

Bears are very common where I am at. Maybe I should get the large economy size extinguisher?

And Byron, Gordon says Hello back at ya!
Old 01-07-2006, 12:12 AM   #24

Name: Per
Trailer: 2000 Burro 17 ft Widebody towed by Touareg TDI
Oregon
Registry
I'm thinking a can of hair spray plus the stove lighter = a flame thrower. I understand the hair spray is great in a potato gun. In Oregon it could mean instant grilled escargot.