Fire extinguishers - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-02-2006, 11:06 PM   #1

Trailer: Trillium 13 ft 1974
This must be my evening for new topics!

What do most of us have for fire equipment? How big?

Oh, and do most of you carry "bear spray"?

Cheers
Ian R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 11:12 PM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
in my sunline i have 4 abc fire extinguishers 1 in bed room 1 in kitchen 1 in sitting room and 1 in the storage door out side..i willhave at least 2 in the amerigo...
Dan Quinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 11:14 PM   #3

Yes I carry a normal all purpose Fire Ext.I have it mounted right by the door.

As for bear spray,no.If I am that close to a real big bear,I got serious problems.
Old 01-02-2006, 11:25 PM   #4

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
I am bad. I don't have one.

For bear deterant, I find unrestricteded screaming and panicing confuses them and makes them go away. Often they are scratching thier heads.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 11:43 PM   #5

Quote:
I am bad. I don't have one.
if you have fire ins on the egg you better get one it is in most policys if you dont have one they dont pay..my policy states i have to have a smoke detector and fire extinguisher or they wont pay...
Dan Quinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 12:33 AM   #6

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
I thought I read someplace that a fire extinguisher and flares or triangles were required safety equipment by Federal regulations in a trailer or motor home with propane appliances. I searched the forum and couldn't find the reference. I guess it could have been a recommendation.
Old 01-03-2006, 06:48 PM   #7

Trailer: Love Bug / Chevy Astro

You are right about the federal requirement. I was stopped a while back by a very bored Wisconsin State Patrol Vehicle Inspector. He told me that a fire extinquisher and flares or triangles are required by Federal regulations for ANY trailer with propane appliances. He spent quite a bit of time checking the Bug out. The first thing he did was to check to see that the LP tank itself was turned off. That can be a steep fine. The Inspector liked the FG trailer and is going to look for one to replace his stick built.
Bob Cupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 07:04 PM   #8

Registry
I believe the fire extinguiser is, and I DID have one in my shopping cart at Camping World just before I took off out of here, but I guess it never made it through the check out. The one I had came with the trailer, was ancient and untrustworthy, so I made a point to get a new one.

Frankly, I forgot about it until this thread.

My reciept doesn't show it, so it must have been bypassed in the cart. Probably my brain cramp.

You cannot use flares in my nieghborhood, nor can I imagine it wise to use them in any fire proned area, so I kind of question a requirement on an item that may be legally banned and unusable.

It may be, but I have not seen or heard of such a reg. I knew about the fire extinguisher, as I bought my Coleman Colorado from a CHP officer and she made sure I knew the regs and showed me all the safety items. No triangle, no flares were included. I suppose she may have had someone to answer to if she sold it unequipped. (She even asked to see my documented tow ratings as she didn't think the Element was even rated)

The Colorado HAS no propane, she just told me all camping trailers needed one.

When I changed the title, the DMV informed me I had purchased from an officer, I guess they know everything LOL!

Anyway, if you have a federal regualation, I would like to see it. I am highly opposed to flares, having nearly lost my house in a wildfire area.
Old 01-03-2006, 07:39 PM   #9

Registry
I searched the federal site and can only find regualation related to trailers over 10k lbs. Nothing about our type of camping trailer was readily had. I expect they are more interested in Big Rigs and interstare commerce than vacationers.

Different states have regs regarding safety items. In a brief search. California requires a fire extinguisher regardless of propane, but flares are NOT required. "Flares or a reflective sign". I could not find anything regarding what type of sign, but that doesn't mean it does not exist, I just didn't run across it.

All my trailers have had reflectors on the rear, and so did the Colorado, on all 4 sides. I have wrapped my tongue jack in reflective tape, and I have 2 large reflectors on my rear bumper.

Oddly, Oregon does not require an extinguisher.

We have an officer here, maybe he will chime in.
Old 01-03-2006, 08:08 PM   #10

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Oddly, Oregon does not require an extinguisher.

We have an officer here, maybe he will chime in.
Nope it doesn't. Not in a travel trailer..with or without propane. But fire extinguishes are required on boats and in elevators ... No foolin'
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 08:08 PM   #11

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
"Flares or a reflective sign". I could not find anything regarding what type of sign,
I believe that this refers to the "triangle" spoken about above...
Old 01-03-2006, 08:29 PM   #12

Registry
actually Fred, it siad "Reflective Sign", not specifically a Triangle.
Old 01-03-2006, 08:51 PM   #13

Trailer: 77 Scamp 13 ft
Most extinguishers in RVs are "dry chemical" and most likely A B C somtimes A B and somtimes B C
The letters stand for what they can put out.... A is i believe trash/paper/wood stuff like that. B is flamible liquid Gasoline/diesel/alcohol stuff like that. C is i believe electrical arks/sparks. I think there is a D in there but cant remember.... anyways its probably for somthing strange like nuclier explosion

We have one great advantage over the stick built RVs... Fiberglass doesnt burn all that great.. if at all
So in the trailer your probably looking at carpet/gas/floor and im sure alot more stuff.

Ive always thought a CO2 or Haylon would be better inside a fiberglass RV. They dont leave a big white carosive mess all over everything?

Dont just take my word on it... Please check it out for yourself. Its been years sence i learned this stuff and i was wrong twice.... i just cant remember either time
Im almost positive you all have internet access and can find alot more info about it.

I could say more about flares and triangles.... but im a slow typer, bad speller and my finigers hurt Ron
Ronny W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 09:25 PM   #14

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Thumbs down

Quote:
The letters stand for what they can put out.... A is i believe trash/paper/wood stuff like that. B is flamible liquid Gasoline/diesel/alcohol stuff like that. C is i believe electrical arks/sparks. [b]I think there is a D in there but cant remember.... anyways its probably for somthing strange like nuclier explosion

If I remember from my Navy Firefighting School days, D is metal, like Magnesium burning; you might see a class "D" fire when a jet plane crashes on an aircraft carrier. Very difficult to extinguish.
Old 01-03-2006, 09:40 PM   #15

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
This:
Quote:
[b]Recreational Vehicle Fires Can Be Dangerous And Costly
State Fire Marshal Nancy Orr urges Oregonians to protect themselves from fire when using their recreational vehicles this summer. To reduce the chance of fire, Orr has the following safety tips for travel trailer and motor home owners:
Before leaving home:

Make sure the vehicle has working smoke alarms. Test them before you leave and at least once a week during your trip.
Plan and practice an escape route. Make sure exits are not blocked.
Install an ABC rated fire extinguisher near each exit, and know how to use it.
Is from this site: Oreogn State Fire Marshall
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 09:43 PM   #16

Trailer: 75 Boler 13 ft
Quote:
Ive always thought a CO2 or Haylon would be better inside a fiberglass RV. They dont leave a big white carosive mess all over everything?
Please DO NOT use CO2 or Halon...they put out fire by starving it of OXYGEN, the stuff WE need to breathe
This type of extinguisher is NOT safe to use in a confined space. I think a FG trailer would qualify as a confined space.
Norm Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 09:51 PM   #17

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
I've also done a bit of searching. So far I haven't found any regulations requiring flare or triangles, and fire extinguishers. I see a lot of recommendations about them. So maybe what I saw was "recommendation" changed to "regulation".

I'm carrying both a fire extinguisher and triangles. I sure hope I never need to use them.
Old 01-03-2006, 10:18 PM   #18

Registry
As do we all Byron.

Thanks for the info on Halon and CO2 Norm. I will trek back to Camping World and get an ABC extinguisher.. tho some of my teachers think I already have one.
Old 01-04-2006, 05:37 AM   #19

Trailer: 77 Scamp 13 ft
I would think if somthing were burning in my trailer.... its prolly somthing making some smoke that isnt very good for me to breath?
I would also emagine if you use any type of extinguisher in your trailer you prolly will be going for the door quite quickly.

I do understand your point Norm.
Ronny W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 01:18 PM   #20

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
We seriously looked at a "stick-built" trailer before we bought the Boler, and I doubt our "fiberglass" unit has any significant advantage in a fire over that "stickie". Both have a fiberglass outer skin (the Boler's is much thicker), foam inside (polystyrene in the stickie sandwich walls, thin soft foam lining the Boler) and lots of wood (inner skin and cabinets of the stickie, all of the cabinets in our Boler B1700, floor in both). Neither is wood-framed. I would not want to be in either in a fire.

Last year we carried the extinguisher which came with the Boler (small dry chemical), in a bracket on the wall across from the door. I just bought a larger ABC-rated dry chemical extinguisher to replace it, to be installed by spring. The extinguisher is to handle small fires, such as a kitchen accident, before they get out of hand. If the trailer interior is significantly involved in fire, I'm planning on unhooking the van (if attached), closing the propane valves, and getting us (including the cat) far away. You couldn't pay me enough to stay in the trailer fighting a major fire with any kind of extinguisher.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote