Fire, Fire Everywhere & No Volunteer Fire Dept - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-24-2006, 08:08 PM   #1

Trailer: 1996 16 ft Scamp
I live in rural Idaho. Finished Thanksgiving supper at brothers at 7:30 pm, I left, headed down the hill to the valley and saw a large fire across the valley. Couldn't tell where it was until I was on the State Highway 1/2 mile from my house.

To my heart-stopping dismay, the Lumber Mill just one driveway away from my winter storage unit was ablaze. There were no police, no volunteer fire dept, and all I could think of was that I had to extricate my Scamp and Buick from the RV storage unit ASAP.

I headed for my house at breakneck speed, called my brother to meet me at the RV storage, and called 911. Gathered my stash of "keys" -- lock on the storage unit, lock on the Scamp's tongue (wouldn't want it to get stolen)!, and the keys to my Buick which was stored for the winter behind the Scamp in the same unit. Also, my friend's vintage Shasta trailer was behind my Buick and it was next to the wall where the fire's heat was the greatest.

I reached the steel building storage unit before my brother and family, and fortunately, there was a man there from my church who helped me with the Scamp. Normally, I have a tough time lining up my van's hitch to the Scamp, but believe it or not, made it within one inch the first try. I could just see the Scamp "melting" within the heat of the steel storage structure. In my mind, I saw the propane tanks exploding, etc. etc.

Got the Scamp out of harms way, my niece was in my Buick (she's a cop), and she had to do some fancy manuvering to get the Buick out, and while she was doing this, the Fire Chief ordered her to leave the Buick and the Shasta and evacuate the building immediately! Of course, being a cop, she knew better and got the vehicle out of the building. Though my brother was there to tow my friend's Shasta, no deal. I had to shut the unit door and leave! Oh, my, I felt a whole lot of responsibility for not getting the Shasta out of the building.

I went back this morning when they would let us enter the RV storage unit, and there was no damage to the Shasta. Not a scorch, no melted tail lights, no fire smell, etc. We had volunteer fire fighters from up to 100 miles around come. They kept the storage unit under water cooling it until the fire just one lane away was controlled.

It was a reminder to me, a single person who travels often on business, to have keys well labeled, a 2d set at my brother's house, and of course, adequate insurance in place. In Idaho, a towed vehicle's insurance follows the tow vehicle, and you really don't have to carry extra insurance. Since I have a company vehicle with which I tow, I carry extra insurance!

All is well, but I shall remember 2006 Thanksgiving day for sure as a heart stopper!
Raunie Aasland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2006, 08:16 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
My stars! Valid point about keys and insurance too Raunie, thanks for the reminders. I glad to hear the "stickie" came through too But most of all, glad to hear the damage was just to "stuff" and no one was hurt
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2006, 09:05 PM   #3

Trailer: 2000 19 ft (formerly 17 ft) Casita Freedom Deluxe ('Nuestra Casita') / 2000 4WD V8 Tundra
Send a message via Yahoo to Kurt & Ann K.
Wow,
A whole collection of things for which to be thankful, on of all days, Thanksgiving!
Raunie, it seems an appropriate time to count ones blessings. Thanks for sharing the experience and giving us a reminder how tentative our plans really are, despite our intentions.

Kurt & Ann K.
Kurt & Ann K. is offline   Reply With Quote