First Campout - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-29-2013, 05:21 AM   #1

Name: Paul
Trailer: '07 Scamp 16' SD
Wisconsin
First Campout

Last weekend our family took our first camping trip in our scamp. Bagley Rapids campground in northern WI. Everything went great, our little one had a blast and the scamperoo performed flawlessly.

Thought I'd post a couple pics
Attached Thumbnails
image-2932316651.jpg   image-3120148326.jpg  

image-1778662995.jpg  
glennco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 06:53 AM   #2

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
Glad all went well Paul! Its good to get the little one into camping..might enjoy it for life then.

So I also have a cargo carrier and trunk on the back of my ParkLiner. What are you storing back there? Any wiggle? I used 2 ratchet straps to my bumper for it to not be moving/twisting on me. I keep 2 hoses, extention cords, a few cedar blocks, my rocket stove and awning and fittings in mine. Trying to keep it light.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 07:44 AM   #3
Commercial Member

Name: Kevin
Trailer: 1995 Scamp 13
Pennsylvania
Registry
Is that last picture from tasting mud pies? Looks like you had a nice spot.
KevinPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 09:00 AM   #4

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Yeah! Keep creating memories! Enjoy!

Thanks for the pics, we like pic's here! Love the cutie patootie camping moment capture!
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 12:01 PM   #5

Wisconsin
Indeed she was eating a mud pie, it was pretty hilarious. We loved taking her camping but much like everything else with a baby it's a huge change. We didn't spend much time relaxing, but this was more rewarding.

Regarding the rack/box attached to the tail:

The system was installed by the PO, to prevent movement he drilled a hole in the side of the receiver and had a bolt/nut welded onto the side. After attaching the rack you crank in the bolt and it puts pressure on the rack. It seems to do wonders regarding movement if you really crank it down.

This trip we had the following items I the box:
- small weber grill
- 5lb propane cylinder
- our daughters pack and play
- propane hoses
- 4way lug wrench
- small aluminum framed camp chair

I'm definitely concerned about the amount of weight in the box, and I'm thinking about switching out the rack from a steel to an aluminum rack, as well as trying to shift some of the contents to the Jeep. It's difficult trying to find enough stuff to fill it without adding too much weight back there.

Thanks for all the great comments
Old 05-29-2013, 12:04 PM   #6

New Jersey
Registry
I agree paul, its easy to want to fill it lol... but my 11.5' x 9.5' awning folded loosely mostly fills it so keeps me from putting too much stuff in there lol.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
Old 05-29-2013, 12:34 PM   #7

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Our best camping trips are always when we bring our grand kids. For some reason they make me feel 20 years younger. I am sure your daughter has the same affect on you
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 01:36 PM   #8

Name: Mike
Trailer: 1996 16' Casita SD
Louisiana
Registry
Nice! Looks like a very clean campground!
Enjoy these early camps with the kids when they are small. They grow up fast!
itlives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 05:33 PM   #9

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
AND TAKE LOTS OF PICTURES!!! I love pictures of kids with dirty faces, shows they're having fun and mom and dad aren't fencing them in on carpet. I raised my own daughter with "kids and clothes wash." Can't wait to take my granddaughter out. It will be a couple of years yet, but it's gonna be fun!!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 06:30 PM   #10

Name: Gillian
Trailer: SCAMP 13'
Oregon
We just took our 13' out for the first family campout. 2 kids +a Great Dane! It rained all nights and we were cozy dry

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3099826408.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	69.1 KB
ID:	59764

That's the Great Dane filling up the floor space with his bed.

Name:	image-4078060870.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	59765

Jiffy pop!

Name:	image-1006981201.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	117.1 KB
ID:	59766

Our hybrid does just fine pulling the scamp!
Attached Thumbnails
image-2473990540.jpg  
PDX scamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 06:58 PM   #11

Wisconsin
I admit we did keep her on carpet for some of the time, mom + dad just needed a break from making sure she wasn't going to swallow any rocks, but most of the time she just ran wild. Ironically, the mosquitoes weren't really interested in her at all.

Deryk, I shot a quick photo of the bolt the PO installed to keep everything tight on that rear receiver.

Wisconsin has a lot of incredible national forest campgrounds. All clean, relatively secluded and completely rustic. Most of the sites are too small to get a huge camper in, so you usually see tents, pop-ups, and eggs. Saw a 13' scamp up there over the weekend as well. They didn't stay the first night, so I think they heard it from the ranger.

Those boys looked like they were having a blast out in the woods
Attached Thumbnails
image-1532802350.jpg  
Old 05-29-2013, 06:58 PM   #12

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19' /2010 Honda Pilot 4WD TV
Escondido, California
Paul, keep an eye on your tongue weight with the loaded box hanging off the back...to keep the towing safe!

Steve
Old 05-29-2013, 07:05 PM   #13

Wisconsin
Agreed on the tongue weight. I'm also concerned about structural integrity of the receiver mount, I doubt it was meant to handle much.

I'm currently tech enhanced for towing via a WDH with sway control. This was a relatively short trip (1hr with 55 mph limits), but I won't tow this thing on the freeway without checking my full weight to see where I come in at. I hate to depend on tech. Thanks to the excellent tips here, I'll be trying to find a cat scale sometime soon.
Old 05-29-2013, 08:43 PM   #14

Name: Norm I want to thank all the Kings horses and all the Kings men
Trailer: 73 Scamp 13'
Oregon
Wow what a great time! Having camped with our four kids over the years, the first thing I noticed was the dirt. They just can't stay out of it. Nothing wrong with that though. I've heard man was made from dirt.
Ngrimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 09:24 PM   #15
Administrator

Trailer: Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 09:30 PM   #16

New Jersey
Registry
Interesting Paul, I guess if its a tight fit unlike the pin that goes through it would cut down on the wobble. I was contemplating this Hitch tightener: no wobble, anti rattle stabilizer device for hitch accessories grips the receiver all the way around...but honestly... the ratchet straps might look "ghetto" lol but it stops any kinda movement. I have a Cargo Management - Reese

weighs about 36lbs or so and I cut the square metal pipe shorter since my receiver is ontop of the bumper and it could only slide in so far before it touches my ParkLiner... so Im sure it shaved 2 or 3 pounds off. I could take the poly part off and bolt my trunk right to the framework but I like that its a little bigger so I can use it like a table...and put my water jug on it.