First Fiberglass Trailer! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-05-2009, 11:29 PM   #1

Trailer: Lil Bigfoot
Well, we just got back from a long trip to the coast and are now the proud owners of an 87 Lil' Bigfoot 13.5 trailer!

We left around 6am on Saturday to fit in 3 viewings between Chilliwack and North Vancouver to make a return trip to the first one we viewed in Chilliwack. The other two were Bolers, one a '76 and the one in North Van a 69 (posted pics in another thread).

As mentioned by another member here, the 87 just had more to offer and came in at the best price. We bought it for $3900, and compared to many we've seen on line and viewed, I think the price is reasonable. It really is ready to go. We can pick away at the small cosmetic things as we go. It turns out, the trailer had sat for two years under a lean-to, so we were sure to check the bearings and add some grease for the 4 hour trip back. Rubber was fine, and the only 'mod' we had to do to get it hooked up was to slice off the plug and wire it to a 4 pin harness so it would match up to our tow vehicle. Surprisingly, no one in town had an adapter that would go from the big black round plug to a 4 pin. I'm not sure if we technically wired it correctly, but the running lights, signals, and brakes work as it sits now. I imagine there's a way to charge the trailer battery while driving, but I'll have to look into that. I think it's worth a quick stop to an RV shop to see what they suggest. Also, the frame looked immaculate. No rust, no cracks - great condition.

We're pretty excited about the trailer! We have our first trip lined up this coming weekend, so I'm sure it'll be a long week at work . Here's some pictures:
Attached Thumbnails
bigfoot_001.jpg   bigfoot_002.jpg  

bigfoot_003.jpg   bigfoot_004.jpg  

bigfoot_005.jpg   bigfoot_006.jpg  

Mike Whitney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 11:33 PM   #2

Trailer: 2002 Casita Freedom Deluxe / 2007 Nissan Frontier King Cab
Congratulations! I know you're going to have a great time with your fiberglass trailer!
BOBSMITH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 11:38 PM   #3

Thanks Bob -

We were so worn out on the way back that we decided to pull off the freeway down to a river for a catnap in the Bigfoot. Okay - who am I kidding...we just wanted to try it out .

We're really looking forward to our first real trip!

Keep well -
Old 07-06-2009, 09:38 AM   #4

Trailer: 1972 Compact Jr
Congragulations on your purchase and many happy trips to come. We prefer provincial parks and there are so many in the area that there are lots of opportunities to explore before having to return to your favorites. Have fun.
Kent I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 09:42 AM   #5

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Look's like you got a great deal, and a beautiful lil egg! Congrats! Enjoy! Robin
Attached Images

Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 09:47 AM   #6

Good morning all -

I have a couple very basic noob questions I hope you can help me out with. This is our first trailer, so I'm unsure on some pretty basic things. Here goes...

I mentioned previously that when we picked up the trailer it had the large plug for the lights etc (as seen on far right of image - 7 flat-pin female). I searched high and low for an adapter that would allow the flat plug on our TV to attach to this (so we were looking for the 'male' plug), but with no luck. We clipped the trailer plug off and hooked up a flat plug to the trailer so it would connect to our TV. All lights work.

The owner indicated that the trailer does not have electric brakes. So..I'm wondering if the large round plug on the trailer was overkill. While all the lights work, would the larger plug have been there to allow the battery to charge when driving? I've read that to do so, a person would need to hook up very heavy gauge cable from the TV alternator, otherwise the charge would be very slight.

What do most people do? Are you running a charge to your battery while driving? When camping are you using your battery for much (lights etc)? Our fridge is a 3 way - Is it best to run the fridge on propane when camping, and just on battery when driving? Is the general consensus to replace all interior lights with LED in order to reduce battery drain?

Thanks for any guidance here - I'm wondering also if we should try to hunt down the large round male plug adapter to attach to our flat 4 pin on the TV and reconnect the female plug to the trailer.....so many questions .

Cheers-
Attached Thumbnails
connectors.jpg  
Old 07-06-2009, 11:06 AM   #7

Trailer: 1976 Trillium 13 ft
Hi Mike,

I believe I mentioned in another thread that Lordco sells the adapter you need for around $15. It connects to a male 4pin on the TV to provide you a 7 pin socket as you show in the above 3rd picture. I may have the product number on mine, if you can't find it today at your local Lordco let me now.

Our last trailer had a 7 pin and no brakes - the previous owner had asked his shop to upgrade the wiring and they put on a 7 pin to match is tow rig.

We do not run a charge to our battery during driving - for us we find that we get a good 10 days of lights before we need a charge again (caveat - we don't spend a lot of time in the trailer camping). If we were running more then lights it would become more of an issue. We run our fridge on propane as it would kill the battery in a few hours otherwise. I have not installed LED's yet as I don't like the color of the lights I have seen - they are still too white for me and I prefer the 'mellow yellow' of the old bulbs.
Booker B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 11:13 AM   #8

Quote:
I believe I mentioned in another thread that Lordco sells the adapter you need for around $15. It connects to a male 4pin on the TV to provide you a 7 pin socket as you show in the above 3rd picture. I may have the product number on mine, if you can't find it today at your local Lordco let me now.

We do not run a charge to our battery during driving - for us we find that we get a good 10 days of lights before we need a charge again...
Good info Booker - sorry I missed your answer before RE the adapter. I can throw a stone to Lordco from my work, so I'll shoot over there shortly. Thank you as well for the info on the propane/battery. There's a deep cycle battery on there now, but I have no way to know how much juice it's putting out. It did sit for 2 years, but I was in the trailer last night taking cushions apart to wash things etc and the lights were strong....

We'll find out this weekend just how much power we have.

I have another question you may be able to help with. I did do a search for window seals/changing etc, but didn't come up with too much. Do you happen to know if there's a 'how to guide' for replacing the seals? They've all shrunk on the trailer, and I can see a bit of water staining on the wood under one table bench.

Cheers!
Old 07-06-2009, 11:32 AM   #9

Hi Mike,

Nope, haven't resealed any windows but there are lots on this forum that have. I did search and found this thread which points to a few others:

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/board/index.ph...mp;#entry243485
Old 07-06-2009, 11:37 AM   #10

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler and 1987 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Registry
Congratulations! Welcome to the Bigfoot family!

I would always have a 7 pin on an RV type trailer. We love having our battery charge as we drive and we would never pull one without brakes. We put brakes on our 13 and our 5th (PO had taken them off the 5th, which is against the law in most states).
I would also stick my head under that trailer and verify that it does not have brakes, the PO might not have the right info. If it has brakes I would advise to hook them up.

We have changes most of the lights to cold cathode. The fridges run on propane, while traveling we run them on 12v or propane though some people advise against running with the propane on..
Old 07-06-2009, 03:16 PM   #11

Quote:
I would always have a 7 pin on an RV type trailer. We love having our battery charge as we drive and we would never pull one without brakes. We put brakes on our 13 and our 5th (PO had taken them off the 5th, which is against the law in most states).
Thanks Lizbeth - I just found the adapter I need out here at Lordco - nothing at two shops I checked on the coast though. Anyway, I'm going to re-attach the original plug to the trailer and hook things up with the big round plug as per your comment. For the battery charge, I've read that the distance from the alternator is too large to gain an adequate charge off of 6 or 8 gauge wire. Do you know how yours is set up?

Thanks!
Old 07-06-2009, 03:34 PM   #12

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler and 1987 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Registry
Mike, I will have to ask hubby tonight as I am not sure what gauge wire it is. Hope you saved the receipt on the adapter because if you want to add charging or hook up brakes you will need the 7 pin on the tow vehicle too.

Did you look at the wheels to see if there are brakes?
Old 07-06-2009, 03:44 PM   #13

Personally I feel uncomfortable driving with the propane turned on - could be a real problem in an accident. If we are traveling to a set location we will put in some ice or start the fridge the day before to cool it down for the trip and then load it with some frozen pop bottles for the actually drive. When we do a road trip like the one we just finished we stick with the cooler and ice.
Old 07-11-2009, 11:10 PM   #14

Trailer: 1974 Boler and 1988 Bigfoot
Hi Mike I pulled my 74 Boler all over the US 12000 KM . You need to have a seven plug as to charge battery when you drive, you can run a 10 gauge 8 gauge is better but 10 is ok you will also need to put in a relay so that charging to trailer only happens when your vehicle is running,also in your Little Bigfoot is it not a three way fridge most Bigfoots are ,this also is why you need the wire from your battery to the trailer battery,oh yeh you do not have to run it from alternator, from the battery is ok, your 3 way fridge will have a cable coming off of it that runs right to battery but with most Bigfoots it is all done for you all you have to do is hook up the battery,you also need that wire from car to trailer as to have trailer brakes to work properly if trailer has them which I think most Little Bigfoots have,anyway goodluck have fun and enjoy your new BIGFOOT.
Rick and THE BC BIGFOOT...
Rick M is offline   Reply With Quote