First little problem with Scamp Factory - Fiberglass RV

Old 03-03-2007, 04:55 AM   #1

Trailer: 2007 Scamp 13 ft / 2005 Jeep Wrangler 6 cyl
Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Scallan
Talking

Spoke with Jim at the factory (Scamp), still cold and snowy up there......anyway after learning of the fact here on this site that I could have them install a rear hitch assembly for $50 and the fact that they did not list this as an option, I call the other day and asked for it to be installed. Jim left a message that my trailer is a week away from finish, they told me the 22nd, and instead of being $75 (!) it would be $150!! Not a good thing. I get the impression that they don't like installing these things.......that's ok, I'll do it when I get it home.....but the attitude of the factory is a little suprising to me.

Anyway.............

LIFE IS GOOD!

Old 03-03-2007, 06:09 AM   #2

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Is the difference in labor cost? Maybe the hitch was $$$ and an additional $75 to have it installed? The Scamp bumper is bearly thicker than tin foil. In order to have a hitch installed there, I'd certainly want the frame beefed up and some cross members installed.

I'm not surprised that last minute changes to a trailer is not something the factory wants to deal with. Scamp is not a huge manufacturer and they que up trailers for production based on options and known factors. You probably threw a monkey wrench in the welding line.

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 09:43 AM   #3

Name: Frederick
Trailer: Fiber Stream
California
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
Jim left a message that my trailer is a week away from finish
This would make it a change order, and that would explain the extra cost. Timing is everything in a production line, and adding this now would cost them more than if it were planned for from the beginning. Higher prices for late changes is a standard acceptable practice.
Old 03-03-2007, 10:10 AM   #4

Oregon
Frederick, and I'm thinking Scamp would much prefer to do any welding on the frame BEFORE the shell is put on. Afterward, they've really got to protect the body from flash/slag burns. Since nearly every Scamp is built to a customers specs, they certainly don't want to mar the finish.

Old 03-03-2007, 05:46 PM   #5

Trailer: 2007 13 ft Scamp / 1991 Nissan Pickup
Quote:
Spoke with Jim at the factory (Scamp), still cold and snowy up there......anyway after learning of the fact here on this site that I could have them install a rear hitch assembly for $50 and the fact that they did not list this as an option, I call the other day and asked for it to be installed. Jim left a message that my trailer is a week away from finish, they told me the 22nd, and instead of being $75 (!) it would be $150!! Not a good thing. I get the impression that they don't like installing these things.......that's ok, I'll do it when I get it home.....but the attitude of the factory is a little suprising to me.
Anyway.............
LIFE IS GOOD!
Would someone explain to me the purpose of a rear hitch?
I am close to putting a depost on a 13 and was wondering
how long it took from the time you ordered one to the time
it was ready. I am thinking of getting brakes, fantastic fan
and gravel guard. What else would anyone with experience
recommend.
Thanks Duane
Old 03-03-2007, 05:55 PM   #6

Name: Darwin
Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
I have the hitch on the rear of our unit and I put a $65 aluminum tray (Harbor Freight) on the hitch and mounted a black storage box on the hauler and carry our jack, water hoses, and other stuff in it.

I think it is well worth having and I would rather have them install it than take the chance of catching the floor on fire by welding my own on there.
Old 03-03-2007, 06:27 PM   #7

Trailer: 2007 Scamp 13 ft / 2005 Jeep Wrangler 6 cyl
Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Scallan
Talking

I was going to have a hitch installed on the rear of the trailer to carry a bike or light items...I am not going to now. The only problem I had with the factory, they did not tell me of this option at the get go...even thought I specifically asked if there were any other possible options that I was missing..........I have some concern about the extra weight on the rear of the trailer, so I am going to wait. Brakes are a must as far as I am concerned...get a good controler...Scamp does not have a gravel shield...hope this helped.

LIFE IS GOOD!
Old 03-03-2007, 06:28 PM   #8

Name: Roger
Trailer: Y2K6 Born Free 32RQ on the Kodiak chassis, 1995 Coachmen 19' B-van and 1996 Precision 21' Sailboat
Iowa
The receiver is most frequently ordered for bicycle racks, but Darwin's idea is good too. Just remember that every pound you hang out there unloads tongue weight. Hanging too much weight out there will cause sway, so use it judiciously.

Roger
Old 03-03-2007, 08:50 PM   #9

Oregon
Quote:
Scamp does not have a gravel shield...
If you're talking about the shield for the front window...yes they do And, if you want one, I'd suggest ordering it with the trailer...it will be made from the cut out of the front window. I ordered mine "after market" and it's a flat piece of fiberglass that doesn't fit the curve of the trailer. It works okay and I'm glad I bought it, but it is [b]not the same as the one ordered at the time the trailer is built.

Old 03-04-2007, 04:43 PM   #10

Name: Adrian
Trailer: Lance 1985~'Casita de Campo' ~23' 4"~Dinette Slide Previously: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette, Front Bath
New Mexico
It was $50 in Summer of '05 and the trailer was not on the assemply line when we discovered they would add it to them. Steel has gone up a lot since then, and would be more labor after the fiberglass had been added. We wanted it to haul bikes. And have been thinking of adding a "tray" to use to haul our Honda 2000i.

Our Scamp bumper is not as thin as "tin foil", it seems to be nice and solid. They did say not to use it to tow anything with.

AW
2009 White Ford F-150 Reg. Cab Longbed ARE Topper
Adrian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 06:44 PM   #11

Oregon
Quote:
Our Scamp bumper is not as thin as "tin foil", it seems to be nice and solid. They did say not to use it to tow anything with. AW
Okay, so maybe I was a little harsh, but compared to most bumpers in SIZE, it's pretty dang small. And everything I've read, tells folks not to hang anything of any weight off the bumper without beefing up the frame and bumper. It's not designed to take any weight. It's function seems to be to protect the shell in case someone accidently backs into something. But I sure wouldn't want to do it very hard or very fast....
Old 03-04-2007, 08:11 PM   #12

Trailer: 2007 13 ft Scamp / 2000 Ford Ranger

Hi
I was thinking about getting this receiver put on but,
I never could get a straight answer on how they mounted
it. It needs to be mounted on the bumper with a bar going
back to the cross bars on the frame.
So you may be better off getting it done right at a hitch shop.
Any desent welder can do it even with shell on.
John
Old 03-05-2007, 09:30 AM   #13

Name: Darwin
Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
It is not an off the shelf item, they make it there and It is put together and welded as you suggest.

Like the letter H with the 2" part of the hitch in the middle of the H, sticking out and welded to close the top of the H. Most secure.

Tags
scamp