First night! (and first day on the road.) - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-17-2007, 08:21 AM   #1

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
Only problems (so far):

1) it's hard to find a campground on the Oregon coast at 8 PM in August...I would have made a reservation but I didn't know if I'd need one or would drive through to Arcata. (I made Bandon.) I did find an RV park; my backup was Brookings Walmart. Annoyingly very few campgrounds post their "FULL" status on the highway.

2) It rains overnight in Bandon. Trailer windows open might not have been such a good idea. Nothing but the curtains got wet, but no rain inside would be better. Window awnings? Fortunately, rain is not something I will have to worry about much in the Central Valley.

3) The space is on a bit of a slope, so I had to jack the front up a bit to level, and that got me to where I could not open the rear door all the way. I could have unhitched but didn't want to so I slipped the dogs out under the partially open door.

4) I didn't know I'd need an adapter for electric, so I need to get one in case I need one in the next place.

The good things:

1) No towing problems. Gas mileage is about 22 mpg at 55-60, including slowdowns (not stoppages) in Portland. Normally I'd get 27 mpg at 70, so the difference is not too bad. I definitely feel the trailer back there going uphill.

2) The bed is VERY comfortable. It took me a bit to get to sleep because of the feeling of motion after driving all day. (Better to have more time before bedtime.)

3) The corgis did very well. I decided not to feed them in here, though, and will give breakfast in their crates before we leave. Three of them slept on the bed with me, and little Teddy slept under it.

4) Nothing came loose during travel except one curtain rod.

Tonight I'll be setting up for a three day stay at the agility trial and will get there earlier and have lots more time to get organized. This morning I'm not even going to attempt coffee, but will stop somewhere once I get going.

Bobbie
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 09:03 AM   #2

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
Quote:
It rains overnight in Bandon.
Really?

Pretty good for a first trip. A few more things will wiggle loose before you get home. Tak it all in stride.. it's part of the adventure!
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 12:44 PM   #3

Trailer: Bigfoot 20 ft 5th Wheel
Sounds like you are doing good Bobbie. Enjoy!

I did my first real camping trip since I got my trailer two weeks ago and had a blast. Of course I came home and raved about how relaxing it was and what a change the trailer was from tenting.

My son promptly borrowed the truck and trailer "for the weekend".....

I haven't seen it since.

I've been told he is going to Banff in a week, then to a competition the week after, then wants to take it into the foothills fishing for a weekend and......

I bet it snows before I see it again.

Anyone got a Boler for sale?

Maybe you shouldn't tell anyone how much fun your trailer is Bobbie....
scott fraser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 11:20 PM   #4

Trailer: 1998 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe / Red F150 X-Cab
I'm so glad you're having a good trip, Bobbie! I'm looking forward to seeing that trailer when you get it down here to Fresno! Stay safe and take time to smell the flowers! Good luck at the agility trials!
Lisa M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 05:52 AM   #5

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
Bobbie:

Bread bag ties work for curtains. Ours promptly fell off during the first trip. And even when you have electric adaptors, you might not always remember them. I think we have 3 no of the same kind now. And 3 hose splitters for the water hook ups.

Hey, Scott, wasn't it your kids who thought you ought to sell that trailer? At least if it is being used, it is not taking up space. Wasn't that part of the problem?

CindyL
Old 08-18-2007, 08:57 AM   #6

Trailer: Bigfoot 20 ft 5th Wheel
Cindy, you are absolutely right. I was very concerned the trailer would end up sitting in the yard unused. I sure called that one wrong!

Great idea with the bread ties...I've got one non-stock curtain rod that falls off regularly....Thanks!
scott fraser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 09:06 AM   #7
Administrator

Trailer: Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
Wow, Bobbie, I feel like we let you down on that electric adapter thing. It should be standard equipment to everyone, and I know we discuss it here from time to time... Get one and keep it in the trailer (we keep ours on the end of the "shore power" cord when we're in transit or if the Casita is in storage; putting it back on the cord is one of the mini-steps to breaking camp). I guess that would've been a benefit of being forced to overnight at a Wal-mart (you could've bought one there) although you wouldn't've yet known you were going to need one... so, I guess, never mind.

Everything else sounds pretty good, though. Thanks for sharing your story. You never know who will be helped by your experience(s)!!

Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 07:21 PM   #8

Registry
Well, it is probably on a list I forgot in my hurry to look at!
Anyway, the second campground had both kinds of connections so I was fine. Spent 3 nights there while at the trial (we did well) and no major problems. I had brought nothing to boil water in the microwave for the French Press so did hook up the propane and use it with the tea kettle.

I'm home in Fresno and have not yet attempted the backing into the garage.... too hot and I think for the first time I"m going to borrow an extra pair of eyes.

Bobbie
Old 08-20-2007, 08:27 PM   #9

Registry
And into the garage!! I was a bit worried... it is a tight fit. I unhitched the car, put the trailer tongue on a moving dolly, and easily rolled it under the garage door. Otherwise the tongue was angled down too far to fit. As I want to turn the hitch over (it angles down for my boat but should probably angle up for the Campster) this may not be a problem in the future. No sweat backing it into the garage, thanks to an alley almost across the street. It was easy to roll on the dolly. I'll probably eventually put a tongue wheel on it but I have a perfectly good one I forgot to bring home from Washington so I may wait until I go up at Christmas to get it.

And I did not get pulled over. Now I can safely sit at home and wait for license plates.

Bobbie
Old 08-20-2007, 09:33 PM   #10

Registry
Yay! Now it's time to get your "routine" together and quit worrying about it!
Old 08-20-2007, 10:05 PM   #11

Registry
Funny little side note: I went down to get some stuff out of the trailer (too hot to unpack but there was food in the iceless box. Jack, my youngest corgi, jumped up into the trailer and onto the bed. It was hard to get him to come out! I guess he had such a good time he was all set for another night in the trailer.

Bobbie
Old 08-21-2007, 08:18 AM   #12

Registry
I am sure they learn to associate the trailer with adventure.

Mine get all excited when I go up to the trailer. It takes them awhile to settle down and figure out it isn't going to move.

Hitching up brings total giddiness for them. Man, they are dissapointed when the trailer leaves and they don't get to go, like when I haul it to the shop etc.