First snow - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-06-2011, 09:26 PM   #1

Trailer: Toyota Sunrader and 16 ft Scamp
Send a message via AIM to Perry J Send a message via Yahoo to Perry J
First snow

The picture is Sherman Peak an elevation of 9760 feet taken about 1PM today.
As the crow flys it's about 25 miles from my home.
It's at the end of a very difficult 4x4 trail and one of my favorite spots in the Sierra Nevada Mountians.
You know there is a God in Heaven when you see His creation from the top of Sherman Mt..
The snow will be gone in a day or two and it will warm up again, but winters not far off.
John
Attached Thumbnails
sherman_peak_1 (672x512).jpg  
Perry J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 05:27 AM   #2

Trailer: 84 16 ft Scamp
When one of our kids was living in the Ventura/Oxnard area we often would camp in your area for a couple of weeks. The county park on Lake Isabella was a nice spot and entertaining with the sea plane pilot training exercises many afternoons.

Then we would often 4x4 with our diesel Blazer and the Scamp in tow around the mountains in the area. Beautiful area and we'll be back.
Loren G. Hedahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 07:13 AM   #3

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
N ice photo. If I saw that outside our living room window I'd say YUK and go hitch up the Kodiak and head for Arizona (still two months away).
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 08:09 AM   #4

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler and 1987 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Registry
John, thanks for sharing the picture. My husband is going to love seeing this. Sherman Pass Road is such a beautiful drive.
Old 10-07-2011, 08:56 AM   #5

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Early Snow

You have to love Nature versus Man.

Only 3 years ago scientists reported that Colorado will have shortening ski seasons with total elimination by 2100, easy to predict because no one will be alive to remember and if we are probably won't be able to remember (LOL).

Last year Colorado had the latest closing of ski resorts. This year they have the earliest opening of ski resorts, opening this wekend.

You just have to love humanity continually learning what we don't know. Nature is nature and man is man.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 01:28 PM   #6

Trailer: Aliner
John, thanks for sharing that beautiful photo!
Sharon G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 01:32 PM   #7

Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
Indiana
I'm sorry.
Greg H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 01:46 PM   #8

Trailer: Hunter Compact II
I was just up there this week with my trailer at Paloma Meadow Camp @ 8,400 ft. Elevation but broke camp early Tuesday night before the storm. High winds and snow forecast 6-12 inches was no place for my 2wd pickup and trailer to go over Sherman Pass @ 9,200 ft. Left a big stack of wood in the camp but my safety was the priority.
Attached Thumbnails
image-3807236748.jpg  
Mike Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 03:45 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Taylor View Post
I was just up there this week with my trailer at Paloma Meadow Camp @ 8,400 ft. Elevation but broke camp early Tuesday night before the storm. High winds and snow forecast 6-12 inches was no place for my 2wd pickup and trailer to go over Sherman Pass @ 9,200 ft. Left a big stack of wood in the camp but my safety was the priority.
Three years ago about this time a year I got stuck at Troy Meadows on a trip back from Reno.
Had about 3 inches of unexpected snow on the ground in the morning and no chains.
I had to go back the long way to keep from going over Sherman Pass.
I'm hoping to get one more trip into Monache Meadows befor it snows again and closes the Trail.
John
I have attached another pic of the same are only without the overcast.
These pics come from a FS/National Weather Service camera on the Mnt.
Attached Thumbnails
sherman_peak_2.jpg  
Old 10-07-2011, 08:47 PM   #10

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
You could have told us that you drove up there and waited till it got sunny. But you're honest. I like the blue-sky picture much better!
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 11:02 AM   #11

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Woo Hoo................. Snow!

So happy to have cool weather again. Summer was too hot here. And we had no fall to speak of. Of course I am not ready for winter, but certainly love to see a little snow on the mountains.......... Hope it stays up there for awhile longer.

Wolf Creek Ski Area - Ski Colorado! Opening day......................
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 08:58 AM   #12

Name: Bonnie and Claude
Trailer: N/A
Ontario
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry J View Post
Three years ago about this time a year I got stuck at Troy Meadows on a trip back from Reno.
Had about 3 inches of unexpected snow on the ground in the morning and no chains.
I had to go back the long way to keep from going over Sherman Pass.
I'm hoping to get one more trip into Monache Meadows befor it snows again and closes the Trail.
John
I have attached another pic of the same are only without the overcast.
These pics come from a FS/National Weather Service camera on the Mnt.
We are planning a two-month trip to Texas and returning to Canada (Ontario) in mid-December. Do you have any tips or pointers for hauling a 13' fiberglass trailer in winter conditions. (If we're lucky the snow will hold off but it's best to be prepared.) Thanks!
Bonnie n Claude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 01:16 PM   #13

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie and Claude View Post
We are planning a two-month trip to Texas and returning to Canada (Ontario) in mid-December. Do you have any tips or pointers for hauling a 13' fiberglass trailer in winter conditions. (If we're lucky the snow will hold off but it's best to be prepared.) Thanks!

Not PerryJ, but have more experience in winter driving than most.

Slow down, in winter weather conditions.

Try not to hit your brakes! If your traveling slower you won't have to hit the brakes to avoid what ever.

Drive ahead..........

Of course have, chains on hand because if you don't have them you will need them.

Personally, I would carry a couple of sand bags, shovel as well to aide in digging yourself out and giving you a little traction.

Since you will be towing, try to avoid bad weather days. Frankly there isn't anything that is so important to get your self out on the roads during bad weather. Always check the road reports before leaving. Not that I haven't traveled in horrible weather but, as I age I am learning that it just isn't worth taking off during even in so/so weather. One example, one time my Dh and I got our self's in a real pickle on Monida Pass going in to Montana....... Not only was I driving on snow packed roads, we drove right into a blizzard with, (white out conditions) but then we had fog............ FOG! Almost like tooley fog, to add to the mess. Not only was it extremely scary but it was dangerous. So take it slow, take your time and enjoy!
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 03:12 PM   #14

Ontario
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin G View Post
Not PerryJ, but have more experience in winter driving than most.

Slow down, in winter weather conditions.

Try not to hit your brakes! If your traveling slower you won't have to hit the brakes to avoid what ever.

Drive ahead..........

Of course have, chains on hand because if you don't have them you will need them.

Personally, I would carry a couple of sand bags, shovel as well to aide in digging yourself out and giving you a little traction.

Since you will be towing, try to avoid bad weather days. Frankly there isn't anything that is so important to get your self out on the roads during bad weather. Always check the road reports before leaving. Not that I haven't traveled in horrible weather but, as I age I am learning that it just isn't worth taking off during even in so/so weather. One example, one time my Dh and I got our self's in a real pickle on Monida Pass going in to Montana....... Not only was I driving on snow packed roads, we drove right into a blizzard with, (white out conditions) but then we had fog............ FOG! Almost like tooley fog, to add to the mess. Not only was it extremely scary but it was dangerous. So take it slow, take your time and enjoy!
Thanks! Passed it on to my DH.
Old 10-13-2011, 03:48 PM   #15

Robin gave you good advice.
I would add one thing. If your trailer has brakes and you need to put chains on you TV you better put them on the trailer.
If you stop with chains on the vehicle and not on the trailer chances are the trailer will try to pass you. I know from experience.
Best advice is if you don't have to drive in snow and ice,don't. Wait for the plow to come by.
Take your time like Robin said.
One other thing, If you have never installed chains practice putting them on and fitting them now while the weather is fairly warm.
I also carry a small tarp to keep out of the snow while installing the chains.
Have a great trip.
John
Old 10-13-2011, 04:25 PM   #16

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Snow Rules

If snow is forecast ahead we stop and wait for it to clear. We once spent 5 days in October in the Black Hills waiting for the snow ahead to stop and clear. Truly nice duty and it didn't stop us from exploring the area.

If we find ourselves in a sudden squall we simply stop and enjoy the storm, afterall we have our home with us. Waiting out a storm can be fun and comfortable.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 07:56 PM   #17

Name: Tom
Trailer: Casita Spirit Delux
Virginia
Registry
Oh no

[QUOTE=Perry J;272530]The picture is Sherman Peak an elevation of 9760 feet taken about 1PM today.
As the crow flys it's about 25 miles from my home.
It's at the end of a very difficult 4x4 trail and one of my favorite spots in the Sierra Nevada Mountians.
You know there is a God in Heaven when you see His creation from the top of Sherman Mt..
The snow will be gone in a day or two and it will warm up again, but winters not far off.
John[/QUOT

Geeze...I get cold just looking at the picture. TomB
TomB44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 06:52 AM   #18

Ontario
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry J View Post
Robin gave you good advice.
I would add one thing. If your trailer has brakes and you need to put chains on you TV you better put them on the trailer.
If you stop with chains on the vehicle and not on the trailer chances are the trailer will try to pass you. I know from experience.
Best advice is if you don't have to drive in snow and ice,don't. Wait for the plow to come by.
Take your time like Robin said.
One other thing, If you have never installed chains practice putting them on and fitting them now while the weather is fairly warm.
I also carry a small tarp to keep out of the snow while installing the chains.
Have a great trip.
John
DOH! I thought Robin meant the chains were for the trailer not the TV. (Wasn't kidding when I said I was a newbie.) We are from Ottawa, Ontario and generally have snow from December to late March or early April so Claude is an experienced winter driver. Concern is not knowing how the Boler will react to black ice or snowy roads should we run into snow on our way home in December. Are they proine to fishtailing or sliding? How are they in blustery conditions? And in heavy rain? Realize can't plan for all contigencies but knowing other owners' experiences helps us to prepare for at least some of the "what if's". Thanks. Appreciate everybody's help and comments.