First Solo Adventure starts tomorrow - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-28-2007, 05:14 PM   #1

Trailer: Bigfoot 20 ft 5th Wheel
I've gotten the Bigfoot into usable condition again and as of yesterday have a week of vacation staring me in the face, so I've booked a week at a campsite by my favourite lake and am heading out tomorrow morning alone for a week of trying out the trailer, relaxing, and being just downright lazy.

This will be my first time out alone with a trailer and I'm looking forward to it. However, since I'm new to this and I'm sure there will be some teething problems I've opted to make it a short trip to an area with lots of amenities (parts stores) nearby.

I'll spend the week mending any faults I come across in the trailer, detecting in the lake and at various other spots, snorkelling and swimming, taking pictures and of course.... reading my way through a large stack of pocket books I bought for the trip.

The groceries will go in tomorrow A.M. along with my detectors and camera gear and it's off on the road I go. Heading south about 2 hours to Sylvan Lake, Alberta and checking into a full service r.v. campground. Unfortunately one with no trees and open camping but with a late booking I'm happy to have gotten in anywhere. Also it turns out to be the one an old friend from Idaho spends his summers at in his motorhome so I'll have the benefit of his advice on hook-ups etc etc. and someone to share my beer with. Of course if he finds more loot in the lake than I do I will be forced to dunk him in the lake, but with luck he may remain dry.

So ...there you are folks. Fair warning! Look out for a bigfoot 5th wheel somewhere between Edmonton and Sylvan Lake and if it's backing up... Run for your life! That reminds me, I'll have to stop after I pull clear of the fence I stuck it in and nail those boards back up before I go....

I'll report back on the adventure should I survive and return...then again if I like it..I may just stay and retire early.
scott fraser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 06:58 AM   #2

Trailer: Love Bug / Chevy Astro

Fix the fence when you get back. Better yet, just back the trailer though the same spot and and don't worry about it. If you back through far enough, you can use some of the neighbors unused yard and gain space in yours.
Bob Cupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 09:30 AM   #3

Trailer: Former Casita 17 ft owner
Man, that's what I miss by being retired; vacations.

Hope you had fun, Scott. Was this Canada Day weekend?
Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 01:36 PM   #4

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Canada Day is July 1, so this year the day off was July 2; this coming weekend is another long weekend because the first Monday in August is the "Civic Holiday", at least for most companies governed by federal employment rules (it's not a statutory holiday). Alberta had this as a provincial holiday, however, it decided during some brain-dead moment that a holiday in February was more desirable so the provincial holiday is February's "Family Day" instead. Between Victoria Day in late May, Canada Day, the Civic Holiday, and Labour Day (first September weekend, just like the U.S.), there is basically a long weekend at roughly one-month intervals all summer.

I'm sure enough people will find a way to take next Monday off (to match their spouse's holiday, for instance) that campgrounds will be solidly booked... a good time to stay home.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote