first time using water tank - Fiberglass RV

Old 03-18-2009, 11:41 AM   #1

Trailer: 2009 13 ft Trillium (USA)
Folks, we are about to set out on our first trip with above freezing temps. We have not used our water tank yet (grey water no bathroom). What do you reccomend we flush it with before using it for cooking and washing dishes, etc. We won't use it for drinking since we like spring water in a jug. How many times should I flush it? I has never had water in it yet and it is brand new.

Thanks, Lloyd the new Trillium owner

Old 03-18-2009, 11:46 AM   #2

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
IMHO, as an Egger, I'd just FILL the tank, add lots of baking soda and flush. Repete a couple times for better (self)insurance. One COULD also 5/8 fill the tank (with soda water solution)and take the trailer for a test drive, this will help stir up the soda, then dump and either refill at home OR (if you trust water elsewhere along your trip), fill up there.

Old 03-18-2009, 11:53 AM   #3

Trailer: 2009 13 ft Trillium (USA)
Quote:
IMHO, as an Egger, I'd just FILL the tank, add lots of baking soda and flush. Repete a couple times for better (self)insurance. One COULD also 5/8 fill the tank (with soda water solution)and take the trailer for a test drive, this will help stir up the soda, then dump and either refill at home OR (if you trust water elsewhere along your trip), fill up there.
Doug, how much baking soda? I think it's a 10 gal. tank on a 13 footer. Lloyd
Old 03-18-2009, 12:18 PM   #4

Name: Jim
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Alberta
Registry
I do what Doug described every couple years, with the exception that I use bleach. I then fill 3/4 with clean water and run around and rinse out. Bleach is great for killing germs. We do use ours for cooking and drinking too.

HERE is a link with instructions for a couple methods on sanitizing the water supply system, the first is more or less what I use. I use at least twice as much bleach as they recommend, probably overkill, but it is cheap and all gets rinsed out anyway. Do make sure you run it through all taps and the hot water tank should you have one.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 04:59 PM   #5

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
I concur (sp?) with what says. I used baking soda as it was on hand in the cupboard with ample supply. Bleach would probably be a more sanitary way to go and I have used it. Some people dump bleach down their water wells st home too. One concern I did have is that lingering after taste ...I know, it doesn't last long and with a more thurough flush.....???
Old 03-19-2009, 12:39 AM   #6

Name: Roy
Trailer: 1972 boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Ontario
Congradulations Lloyd!

I'd suggest the first thing you do is edit your profile from a wanna be to a proud owner.

The bleach disinfects where the baking soda takes out odours and tastes. With the bleach all you are doing is bumping up the chlorine levels higher than city water to disinfect your water system.

I'd bleach first using basic unscented bleach, Jims link says 1/4 cup to 15 gallons. Run your lines and let it sit for a couple of hours. On a used system, I'd problably let it sit overnight. Then drain.

Then I'd do the baking soda thing, run your lines and let it sit overnight and possibly a run towing the trailer to slosh it around a bit. I'd drain it, put some fresh water in and test taste after running the lines. If needed I'd repeat as necessary. How much baking soda? I don't know.

I'd take a gallon of warm water and gradually mix in the baking soda till it stopped disolving, figure out how much I used and multiply by the size of tank. I think if you went overboard a bit, that would be OK because you are going to flush the tank after anyways.

Old 03-19-2009, 08:03 AM   #7

Trailer: 2007 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Send a message via Yahoo to ddayton
I like a three flush method because we do drink the water.

First would be a bleach flush as described above.
Second would be a vinegar flush. I have found that vinegar really kills the taste and smell of bleach. Put 10 to 15 gallons of water in your fresh water tank with 5 ounces of vinegar per gallon. (I use white vinegar) and run through water heater first, followed by all faucets.
Third would be a fresh water flush.

link to my procedure
http://tinyurl.com/dmt7wj

Don
Old 03-19-2009, 09:00 AM   #8

Name: Jim
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Alberta
Registry
I have found no issues with the taste of the water after bleaching, then rinsing, then filling with potable water. The faint traces of bleach left are virtually unnoticable, often your tap water at home has more chloride in it anyway. Never hurts to do another rinse if you wish though.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 03:43 PM   #9

Name: james
Trailer: Boler 1984
Ontario
I use the bleach cur for the water tank each spring after getting the trailer out of storage.
1 cup javex and fill the tank.
Leave it sit for a day and drain.
Refill and drain three times to flush any bleach taste and no problems for the summer.
"Sorry dear, not right now. I'm working on the trailer".
Jim
Old 03-20-2009, 02:46 PM   #10

Trailer: 17.5 ft and 25 ft FB Bigfoot
I make wine and beer on a regualr basis and use bleach to disinfect. However I am very careful about how long I let the bleach stand in any metal container. With stainless steel it only takes about 15 minutes before the container starts to get pits in the metal. I once left a solution in a stainless thermos for 1 hour. The thremos was wrecked. With this experience I have also sanitized and flushed my entire fresh water system of my trailers. But I never let the solution stand for more than 15 minutes before I flush. While most of the system is plastic the faucets and the hot water tank are not. I would suggest people look into the do's and don'ts of bleach before leaving it in their system for 3 hours or over night as suggested.