First Trip - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-28-2014, 05:08 PM   #1

Name: Russ & Vivian
Trailer: Scamp
Pennsylvania
First Trip

Well Sunday Mon and Tues will be my first camping trip of the year in my new2me Scamp, heading to the Allegheny National Forest North maybe 20 miles from Cooks forest. Will be boondockin, just had a double battery carrier welded on the tongue, still need to replace the rear water fill cap, man they don't give you any room to work, and everything is glued.....arrrgghhhh. Everything else is packed, this first trip I will be alone, so just me the fire and Jack&Coke. Will post some pics when I get back.
Shadow56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 05:26 PM   #2

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
Looking forward to the pictures ^
Happy Trails!
carlkeigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 06:28 PM   #3

Name: Ted
Trailer: (Dark side)Crossroads Now
Glade Valley, North Carolina
We have our first trip planned for April 28th at Badin Lake Campground in central North Carolina's Uwharrie National Forest. We will be boondocking as well. My wife works only weekends now; so finding a camping spot Monday-Friday is real easy.
Old 03-31-2014, 02:19 PM   #4

Pennsylvania
Well the first trip didn't go as planned, I posted in another thread of my DC problem. The worst was the heavy rain strong winds and then snow, temps in the 20's. No fire, no sitting in the easy chair, no awning, but still I had fun.
Attached Thumbnails
005.jpg   008.jpg  

011.jpg   010.jpg  

Old 03-31-2014, 05:48 PM   #5

Name: Ted
Trailer: (Dark side)Crossroads Now
Glade Valley, North Carolina
Been there done that. BUUUUURRRRRRRRR
Old 03-31-2014, 06:25 PM   #6

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Well, it was memorable. Just think how much fun you'll have the next time! Thanks for sharing the pictures
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 07:00 PM   #7

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
I just went to see if my yard machines would start.

Had enough time to mow a half acre before it got dark.

So, I guess that means my machines started...........LOL

No freezing temps for at least the next week.......

Love the snowy lane shot.
carlkeigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 07:19 PM   #8

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
If you like that snowy lane, you would love Calgary. We just got another 4" of the fluffy stuff.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 08:11 PM   #9

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow56 View Post
still need to replace the rear water fill cap, man they don't give you any room to work, and everything is glued.....arrrgghhhh.
Great Pics of your first trip! Sorry you didn't get great weather but its coming! 61 and sunny here today - got the truck and trailer washed!

Re replacing the rear fill cap - I promise you the easiest way to do it is to just remove the rear bench. It only has about 4 screws holding it in place and is way faster to take and out and put back in that trying to fit your head and hands down through the hatch!
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 09:26 PM   #10

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 03:12 AM   #11

Pennsylvania
ok

I'll check out the rear bench, but mine is wood and I think there is more than 4 screws holding it in place.
Old 04-01-2014, 07:33 AM   #12

Name: Bill
Trailer: In the market
Nevada
That's a beautiful part of the country. Love Tidioute and Tionesta area. A lot of trees and deer! One of these days I'm gonna get back there. Good luck with your new Scamp.
Chillywilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 10:12 AM   #13

Registry
Quote:
I'll check out the rear bench, but mine is wood and I think there is more than 4 screws holding it in place.
Really I haven't seen an all wood one - have seen the deluxe ones with the fiberglass bench with a wood trim on the edges and one wood panel secured with a few screws with caps over them on the short end that faces the front of the trailer and it is attached to the lower kitchen cabinet. Suspect if you take the wood face off you may find that inside the bench there are a only few screws on the floor level near the front of the bench (where your feet go) and then a few more on the upper rear section on the outside wall of the trailer (there is a lip there that they go into). Would be surprised if Scamp was to deviate from their original layout/installation to much to accommodate the wood trim. They are not known for making to many big changes over the years in how they do things
Old 04-02-2014, 05:05 AM   #14

Pennsylvania
I'm thinking someone replaced the rear benches, their made out of 1/2 osb, painted dark brown, the front has the rat fur on them and someone did a good job. So I won't be taking them out, just have to stuff my big head in and do the best I can.
Old 04-02-2014, 06:44 AM   #15

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
Our Deluxe 13' Scamp had the exact same brown wood covered by rat fur as yours, and it easily came out with about 4 screws on the bottom and a few more on the top. It really is worth it to remove it in order to work on the water fill, pump, etc. While you have it out, it would be a great time to cut front openings and cover with cabinet doors.... this really opens up a lot of usable storage with easier access.
Dave & Paula
Attached Thumbnails
DSC01176.jpg  
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 07:32 AM   #16

Pennsylvania
Thats a really good Idea, I have been working or Oak partitions on the sink and stove counter tops, like the twisted metal on some, I'm using 1x8 oak and will mount oak spice racks and tile back splash.As soon as that project is done I will tackle the benches.
Old 04-02-2014, 08:36 AM   #17

Registry
Russ do you have a photo of them? Would be interested to see how that varies from the factory install. It sure would make it hard to replace water pump and water tank fittings and tail light wires if you can't get the bench out.
Old 04-02-2014, 09:20 AM   #18

Pennsylvania
Carol

When I get a min I will take a picture, the right side or drivers side is easy to get into and work on the converter, its the other side, they put the fresh water holding tank so far back its hard to get your hand in there, and they glued everything together. I have ben picking away at whats left of the fill cover that goes inside the hose.
Old 04-02-2014, 10:25 AM   #19

Registry
Quote:
Carol

When I get a min I will take a picture, the right side or drivers side is easy to get into and work on the converter, its the other side, they put the fresh water holding tank so far back its hard to get your hand in there, and they glued everything together. I have ben picking away at whats left of the fill cover that goes inside the hose.
Oh I know what you mean.... have had to deal with the fresh water tank filler situation myself (trailer is set up the same way). Have also replaced the rear tail lights & added an outside electrical receptacle on the outside wall beside where the water tank sits. Also have had to do some emergency water connection repairs in that hatch. None of which I would have been able to do or do well without removing the bench. Scamp does all the water and electrical connections before they put the benches in place but as suggested normally they also make it simple to take the benches out as well in order to do maintenance.

If someone has made it impossible to remove the bench I think I would be inclined to undo it. Sure as heck you are going to have to fix something in that hatch one day while on the road with limited tools with you.
Old 04-19-2014, 07:15 AM   #20

Name: Curtis
Trailer: Trillium 5500
Quebec
Just pulled the trilly out to prep for our first trip!! Super excited. The hard part is keeping the kids out if there while I do spring cleaning!!!

Were aiming at the get together in Grafton in may! Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1397913294.223579.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	105.2 KB
ID:	70039

Currently 3 degrees here in ottawa btw.
Barrett family is offline   Reply With Quote