first trip - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-29-2016, 12:15 AM   #1

Name: Mitzi
Trailer: LilSnoozy 12/01/16, Tug 2012 Dodge Citadel
Florida
first trip

We are heading home from our first trip. DS brought the granddaughter down to Jax to see her other ggrandparents and her big brother for Christmas and we camped out on my almost-nephews wooded property and had some meals with them and spent an afternoon with my best friend from high school. We were drawn to each other because we were both motherless. I had kept in touch with her here and there over the years and our first visit since high school was about 10 years ago.

From Jax w headed to Atlanta to see DD and family We parked the Snoozy in their driveway and left the cats in there while we slept on the world's most comfortable futon. We were supposed to stay another day but DH got anxious, so we left after 1 1/2 days and are currently in the KOA at Starke, unwinding after chasing George and Roadkill all about the campground. We had the screen door closed, but the little plastic slide over the door handle was slightly open. George reached in to the door handle, opened the door and leapt out. I jumped out to follow him, but first slammed the plastic back in place. I chased George around the snoozy and got around to the door just in time to see Roadkill slide the plastic piece back and leap thru the tiny opening!! Took us an hour and half to recapture both.

I was having an incredible amount of leg pain after buying the SUV, which we addressed by getting a stool and lashing paracord to it so if I'm on my own I can pull it into the suv after using it to step up. We also use it as a step for the snoozy. However the leg pain kept getting worse. I realized over these last few days tat the Thetford is extremely elevated and my feet dangle and the seat is right on the area that that triggers the sciatic pain.

I also realized it took quite a stretch for me to crawl into the bed. The mattress itself is wonderful, but we put a topper on it just to make sure dh's bad hip wouldn't pain him. But this stretching and leaping was another factor in the pain.

So we bought a second stool that folds flat. Using it to step up to the bed or to rest our feet on in the toilet. I think it's helping.

The 4 kitties hid in the cargo area whenever we had visitors. Their 2 1/2 ft by 1 1/2 ft litter pan is there also. they have been very good up until tonight, sleeping with us, sitting with us when they want people time, retreating to the cargo hold when they don't. DH says he thinks they thought they were back home, which is why they jumped out- and then thought if they couldjust run a little further they'de find home.

Here n the Starke KOA we've listened to at least 3 owls tonight, nice breeze coming thru the windows, and I'm exhauste do goodnight all.
Old 12-29-2016, 01:40 AM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
Mitzi, so happy ALL are enjoying your new home on wheels. It sounds like all the new exercises are going to keep you young.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 04:43 AM   #3

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2014 16 scamp side dinette/Rav4 V6 Tow pkg.
Pennsylvania
Hi, we use a stool for our potty room to. The little plastic folding ones, because my wife needs it and I don't. We bought 4 of them, we use them all around, outside, inside, to rest our feet. Carl
Carl Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 05:15 AM   #4

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
Four kitties in a Snoozy. You beat us with 3 Munchkin cats (dwarf cats) in a Silver Cloud. We discovered that our newest adoptee wants to go outside. I caught her by the tail with her head out the door that I did not shut tight behind me, so now we watch, shut tight, and use a squirt bottle of water to get her away from the door. She may have been an outdoor cat in her previous home, as she was pictured outdoors on Petfinder. Stinker.
Attached Thumbnails
Lally and Sonny.jpg   Lollipop.jpg  

Ellie camping in the Bigfoot.jpg  
Old 12-29-2016, 08:29 AM   #5

Name: Charlie
Trailer: 2014 Lil Snoozy
North Carolina
Registry
We keep a stool inside for resting our legs when we are sitting. I built a 4" platform for the toilet because Sara has the same problem. We remove it when using the shower. There are pictures in the "mods" section on the LIL Snoozy Owners site.
charlsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 02:52 PM   #6

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Mitzi,

It was nice to meet you. Happy to read you're out on the road.

One nice aspect of going away from the known is there's no pressure, less anxiousness. In some measure it's great to seek the relaxation in the known of each other.

Our little Scamp has a real toilet and Ginny can reach the floor.

Wishing you safe travels.

Norm

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 06:48 PM   #7

Florida
So glad to hear I'm not the only one with needsfor more stools!
I also loved the way the Snoozy towed. We did 70 and 75 on the interstates with no problem. 80 and 85caused some sway (excessive speeds weren't intentional. We are used to sitting down low to the ground while driving, it seems to me tthat you think you're going faster when down low than you really are. Sitting up high seems to make you feel you're not travelling as fast as you are. DHs last 2 speeding tickets were in SUVs we rented for vacations- which had us way up there)

What do others do about the pantry when the trailer isn't in use? Do you stock it and leave it? Do you leave some stuff and not others? Do you take everything out?

Norm twas great meeting you and Ginny. Enjoyed our talk immensely.
Old 12-30-2016, 07:19 PM   #8

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2014 16 scamp side dinette/Rav4 V6 Tow pkg.
Pennsylvania
I take all food products out, that includes cans and such, as like soups. Anything you eat, and anything that can freeze. Carl,,,, ooops i just noticed you are from FL. disregard what i said.
Carl Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 08:33 PM   #9

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
Mitz
Glad your trip was nice but

Please tell us your joking about towing at 80 or 85 mph
If your not then please advise when your in my area so I can get off the road

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
alan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 10:54 AM   #10

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Pa View Post
I take all food products out, that includes cans and such, as like soups. Anything you eat, and anything that can freeze. Carl,,,, ooops i just noticed you are from FL. disregard what i said.
It freezes here too Carl.
Old 12-31-2016, 10:56 AM   #11

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by alan H View Post
Mitz
Glad your trip was nice but

Please tell us your joking about towing at 80 or 85 mph
If your not then please advise when your in my area so I can get off the road

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Probably best you stay off I75 between Atlanta and Naples. Sort of thing where on a 3 lane highway you're in the middle and people are passing you on the both the left AND right like you're standing still...then you look down and go "whoops!"
Old 12-31-2016, 12:40 PM   #12

Name: Charlie
Trailer: 2014 Lil Snoozy
North Carolina
Registry
I ran our Expedition/ Snoozy up to 80 one time to test the stability. Solid as a rock. But I don't trust the tires at that speed. It is better to stay in the right lane and let them go around. We usually drive at 65. Sometimes 70 in cities. I like to avoid cities and heavy traffic when I can.

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
charlsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 01:05 AM   #13

Florida
Our last days drive was on US 301 versus I 75 and it was a lot better for my nerves. More relaxed pace. But this June I will def be on the Interstates to get to Canada quickly, as DH has only taken off 1 month.
Old 01-01-2017, 08:59 PM   #14

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
I drive 62-65 mph on interstates in AZ where the prevailing speed is 70-80. It was a little unnerving at first, but I just stay far right and let them pass. Most other RV drivers are doing around 65 as well, so at least I'm not the only slowpoke. I'm sure I have annoyed a few, but folks generally seem pretty tolerant. Maybe it's because the Scamp is so darned cute...

Cruise control, at least on the flats, helps with speed creep.

Safe travels on your trip to Canada. Sounds fun! We really wanted to take our Scamp to the Maritimes, but I just couldn't take that much time away from work. Someday...
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 05:13 AM   #15

Trailer: U-Haul 16 ft Vacationer
Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin A
On our current trip, I had to hit 70 mph once due to traffic, but otherwise I keep our Expedition/Bigfoot Silver Cloud between 60-65 on the interstates between Chicago and Naples. Others just have to pass me!
Kevin A is offline   Reply With Quote