First trip of the season - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-19-2015, 06:32 PM   #1

Name: Richard
Trailer: Casita Independence
Maine
First trip of the season

Excited, in a couple of weeks, we pack up our Casita Independence and we will be heading south from Maine along the Atlantic coast to the Outer Banks and thru South Carolina to Savannah. Then on to the Florida panhandle and Alabama coast and then thru New Orleans and head back north along the Natches Trace to Nashville. Across Kentucky, West Virginia, Virginia civil war trail to Gettysburg, Longwood Gardens, Deleware Water Gap and back to Maine. Looking forward to lots of great food, history, National Parks and fun things to see and do. Any advice, sights to see from forum members appreciated.

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
Rick in Maine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 06:46 PM   #2

Name: Dave & Karen
Trailer: 2014 Casita SD 17FT
Maryland
Please post some pics of your trip. If you stop to camp in New Orleans check out the KOA there. Super nice staff and close to the french quarter. Safe travels!
Old 03-19-2015, 07:26 PM   #3

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Will the Outer Banks campgrounds be open. We winter on the Georgia coast so when we leave home near Albany NY we go down I 81 in PA and into VA and then over to the SC coast where we stay at Huntington Beach (Brookgreen Gardens right down the road), then down to Hunting Island near Beaufort. We have been in Savannah several times, staying at Rivers End campground on Tybee Island or Skidaway Island. We have been to Henderson Beach campground in the Florida panhandle.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 07:41 PM   #4

Trailer: 1978 Trillium 13 ft
The Okefenokee Swamp (GA). Sign up for the ranger-led boat outing - or rent your own. Fabulous! Especially if you can get on a sunset trip. We camped there (semi-rustic). Weather was coolish (60's), so bugs were negligible.
Old 03-19-2015, 08:46 PM   #5

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2014 16 scamp side dinette/Rav4 V6 Tow pkg.
Pennsylvania
I will be following this thread, I intend to take our fist trip next month, just a few weeks, it will be our first real trip with our new 2014 16` Scamp. Looking at all the stops mentioned, just do not know weather to make reservations, or just go. Will go down 81S then into the Carolinas, Georgia then back up. I only want to drive 2-3 hundred miles at a time. looking forward to it. No time limits Carl
Carl Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 09:01 PM   #6

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Carl, sometimes we only drive an hour or two, other times 4 to 8 hours depending where we want to get to. We almost always have reservations, our trips are generally planned way ahead. When we go south for the winter I'll have a few options for first night stay. Usually want to get as far south as possible. Then when we get to a point where we know we will want to stop soon we will call one of our pre planned places to see if we can get a site. There are campgrounds we like, sites we like, and usually go to them so reserve way ahead. We now have some reservations made for March 2016. One fear though is reserving an unknown place and not liking it, then stuck there. We have left a couple places early and lost the money.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 10:51 PM   #7

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Pa View Post
I will be following this thread, I intend to take our fist trip next month, just a few weeks, it will be our first real trip with our new 2014 16` Scamp. Looking at all the stops mentioned, just do not know weather to make reservations, or just go. Will go down 81S then into the Carolinas, Georgia then back up. I only want to drive 2-3 hundred miles at a time. looking forward to it. No time limits Carl
We've traveled several month every year, never have reservations. Reservations are just another way for people to get into you wallet.
One of the big advantages of our small trailers is we can always find a place to park and sleep for a few hours. Sometimes we'll drive 12 to 14 hours in a day then do it again the next day. When we land for a few days or a month it's usually in National Parks.
One time we were turned away from a Texas State Park, no problem, a couple hundred miles later and closer to our chosen destination Walmart provided a place to sleep a few hours. Then on to the next choice.
Trick... Plan to arrive on Sunday afternoon through Wednesday. Sunday is when all the week-enders leave. Campgrounds usually don't start to fill until Wednesday or Thursday.
Also DO NOT require hookups. Easier and cheaper.
Old 03-20-2015, 06:06 AM   #8

Name: Richard
Trailer: Casita Independence
Maine
We generally travel March-June and Sept.-Oct., don't make reservations and have always found a good campsite. National parks is our favorite and most state parks are good. KOA is our backup for hookups and laundry. Will travel 6-8 hours/day at the start to get out of the cold, then take our time from there, no schedule, just enjoy the trip. Gotta love retirement!!

Rick in Maine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 06:58 AM   #9

Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick in Maine View Post
We generally travel March-June and Sept.-Oct., don't make reservations and have always found a good campsite. National parks is our favorite and most state parks are good. KOA is our backup for hookups and laundry. Will travel 6-8 hours/day at the start to get out of the cold, then take our time from there, no schedule, just enjoy the trip. Gotta love retirement!!

Yep. one thing i do good. "NOTHING" Carl
Old 03-20-2015, 05:31 PM   #10

Name: Joe
Trailer: 2013 EggCamper & 2011 Silverado Reg Cab 4x4
Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick in Maine View Post
....take our time from there, no schedule, just enjoy the trip. Gotta love retirement!!.....
I'm so jealous!!!!! May 1st, 2026. Thats our last day of work. Uuuggggg. We want to retire so bad we can taste it - and its so far away. May 1st 2026 is a Friday. The retirement party is already set up on my Microsoft Outlook set up as a meeting and already sent to all my coworkers about 5 years ago.

We cant wait to do what you guys and gals do - go where ever the wind blows!
2013 EggCamper #120

Joe's EggCamper Journal
Joe & Cherie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 07:48 PM   #11

Name: Stan
Trailer: Oliver Legacy Elite II Hull #63
Virginia
Rick,
Nice place to stay on the Natches Trail is the Fall Hollow Campground 6 miles from Hohenwald, TN (home of the Oliver Trailer Factory). Fallhollow.com Owners are really nice, Bill and Kathy. Ask about the neet waterfall just up the trail real close to the road, it's one where you stand behind the water coming down.

Stan
Stan and Carol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 10:24 PM   #12

Name: Lynn
Trailer: Casita Spirit 16'
Indiana
Hi Carl, What made u decide on a brand new Scamp? I am needing 16/17 footer and want the bunk beds in front because I need to sleep 3 kids and me. I am starting to think I could wait forever to find what I want used. I don't need a bathroom, just a portopotty. Any advice?
Indiana Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 06:34 AM   #13

Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyn w Autistic kid View Post
Hi Carl, What made u decide on a brand new Scamp? I am needing 16/17 footer and want the bunk beds in front because I need to sleep 3 kids and me. I am starting to think I could wait forever to find what I want used. I don't need a bathroom, just a portopotty. Any advice?
Lynn. I know of a 1 owner Scamp 16 with bunks in front. No bath. Its a 2008, has ac, vinyl floor and the owner wants 12k asking. Its in Cincinnati OH and its not advertised yet. I drive by it on the way to work every day and stopped. If it sounds reasknable, pm me and ill find her number.
2013 EggCamper #120

Joe's EggCamper Journal
Old 03-21-2015, 06:47 AM   #14

Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyn w Autistic kid View Post
Hi, there is only two of us and Miss Ginger (our goldie) I started out for a used one, any that came up were far far and away and to go look and find out it is not up to par was risky,expensive. Then the price is just a few thousand away from new and still being 10 years old. For me, new was a better option. My policy is do not buy anything used for more then 50% new and none met my policy,no biggie. We got the front bath B/C convenience/options at our age and don`t need the space for people. If you use the campground showers/rest rooms and a potapotti at night you will be fine. A standard Scamp at 2014 prices was $12,100, + tax and delivery, Good Luck. Carl
Old 03-24-2015, 09:01 AM   #15

Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Pa View Post
A standard Scamp at 2014 prices was $12,100, + tax and delivery, Good Luck. Carl
That's one reason we didn't take the Scamp right here in our neck of the woods. I wondered if she was asking well over what she paid for it new. Answers that question!
2013 EggCamper #120

Joe's EggCamper Journal