fishing rods? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-14-2014, 04:53 AM   #21

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
John,

Did you mention the length of your fishing poles?

We have two 4' plastic fence posts on the back of our Scamp that we use for 4' pole storage. Another practical solution is a PVC pipe strapped to the bottom under the rear floor. In our case we have two plastic boxes on slides attached under the dinette area. You could do that with a PVC pipe of a diameter that meets your needs. pivoting it on one end and clamping it up at the other end.

Since you are concerned about theft, this solution is invisible to the world unless you get down on the ground. The sides of the trailer hand down below the floor. If you wanted you could even use a lock to hold the non pivoting end.

We have 5 under the Scamp boxes and no one has ever bothered them, actually we have never had any incident in 14 years. I think there are pictures under Modifications/Preparing a 1991 Scamp showing our under trailer storage..

While invisible to the world the access is easy.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 04:56 AM   #22

Florida
Re-run from a similar thgread.

John,

Did you mention the length of your fishing poles?

We have two 4' plastic fence posts on the back of our Scamp that we use for 4' pole storage. Another practical solution is a PVC pipe strapped to the bottom under the rear floor. In our case we have two plastic boxes on slides attached under the dinette area. You could do that with a PVC pipe of a diameter that meets your needs. pivoting it on one end and clamping it up at the other end.

Since you are concerned about theft, this solution is invisible to the world unless you get down on the ground. The sides of the trailer hang down below the floor. If you wanted you could even use a lock to hold the non pivoting end.

We have 5 under the Scamp boxes and no one has ever bothered them, actually we have never had any theft incident in 14 years. I think there are pictures under Modifications/Preparing a 1991 Scamp showing our under trailer storage..

While invisible to the world the access is easy.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 08-14-2014, 09:29 AM   #23

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
I was in Bass Pro last month and looked at the fishing rods. I could not believe the high prices! It's been decades since I bought a new rod, I know. But still! Some things like TVs, appliances, and clothing have only gone up fairly modest amounts over the last few decades (I recall paying $12-$14 for dress pants in the mid '70s, and I can still find them for $20-$25 at some stores today, for example). But fishing rods seem to have skyrocketed! I would never pay $50 for a rod, much less $80 or $100 or more.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 11:13 AM   #24

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
I paid $600 for the blanks to build the rod myself. Add to that the cork for the handle, the guides, the reel seat ( and then the reel itself, and fly-line ).
I'm not shoving that into a PVC tube.
Old 08-14-2014, 11:39 AM   #25

Florida
There are a lot of options for what goes into the tube or even what makes up the body of the storage element. The tube does offer sealing ability. Our boxes, though continually exposed to weather are always dry.

All I offered is a relatively secure location and typically unused space. No shoving required, just offering a potential solution for small trailer storage that can be customized to meet your needs.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 08-14-2014, 12:13 PM   #26

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
I'm thinking the TV for the same reason it is a good place to keep rain gear and warm outer wear. It is always where you are when you need it. No need to remember what to pull out of the trailer and put in the TV on your way someplace.

And if you are lucky enough to be camping in walking distance of good fishing then your TV is probably there anyway.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 12:19 PM   #27

My dad closed the trunk lid on my first fishing rod.
Never forget.
Old 08-14-2014, 02:38 PM   #28

Name: Wendy Lee
Trailer: Scamp 13' Standard
New York
Registry
Honda,

As always, I am glad for your generosity and spirit of sharing here. You have opened my mind to new ideas. I'm a newb, and will be for some time I expect.

I like your under trailer Storage idea for fishing poles, looked under there today and I can't understand with my pea brain how one would anchor a PVC tube to the cross member or longitudinal frame?

I also didn't get what you meant by pivoting side. If you don't want to explain to me, I understand.

My help is gone now so I'm going to have to do work by myself. And I want to try.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
CampyTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 02:55 PM   #29

Florida
Wendy Lee...

There's a party going on right here.... A celebration to last throughout the years.... Birthday party tonight but in the morning I'll send you a picture.

The tube would mount across the trailer from side to side. The pivot end of the pipe would be on a hinge so the other end could go up and down, When you want access only one end of the pipe comes down, the end without the hinge. When you're traveling the free end is locked up against the bottom of the trailer. That is how my under Scamp drawers work.

Of course it does not have to be a pipe. There are all kinds of alternatives.

The reality is there is all kinds of potential storage space in the trailer. We've added a ton to our Scamp. It does make life on the road easier. If you have a rainy night with nothing to do, read through Preparing a 1991 Scamp.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 08-14-2014, 03:07 PM   #30

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19' /2010 Honda Pilot 4WD TV
Escondido, California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Mine go in rod cases which are stowed securely.

Ballistic Cases Series Fly Fishing Luggage | Sage
Very nice! My Sage rods are stored the same way..5wt for fresh and 7 wt for surf.
Old 08-14-2014, 03:10 PM   #31

And, your rods are not fishing poles....
Old 08-16-2014, 10:29 PM   #32

Trailer: Oliver Legacy Elite 2008
I travel with a micro light rig velcro'd to the corner by the closet. But for true portability I carry a Tenkara style fly rod. Extended, it is 12 footlong, but for travel, it collapses into a minuscule 20 inches. Tenkara fly fishing comes to us from the mountain streams of Japan and boils down the art of fly fishing to its simplest elements.

Check it out at:
Tenkara, simple fly fishing method from Japan, uses only a telescopic tenkara rod, tenkara line and tenkara fly: Index
Tenkara Rods, Lines and Flies
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote