fishing rods? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-09-2012, 12:04 PM   #1

Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
fishing rods?

ok, im oputting this here, maybe it should be in hobbies,,,,, because some folks don;t understand fishing isn't a hobby. its a religious ritual.
did you know God doesn't count time fishing against you?
anywho....i want to carry a couple fishing rods sort of permenently in the 13 foot scamp.
any really slick ideas for storage and protection?

wife has been interested in learning the saintly art of the flyrod. so i figure i'll get us each a nice little 4-5 wieght outfit to keep with us.

my first thought is a pvc tube, like the cleanout tube is kept in but a little longer.
could attach it to the cleanuot tube holder? or maybe acrossed the bottom of the tongue?
that would hold the rods and the reels can tuck into a cabinet.
i bet someone here has a super cool custom built idea that will blow mine out of the water .
john warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 01:15 PM   #2

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
John
Several people have switched to the larger pvc fence post covers for carrying their sewer hoses. They hold the caps on with bungee cord. Several 5th wheels I've seen mount two under the front. One for a fold up ladder and one for the hose and adapter cone.
These fence post covers have a lot more room than the round tube. They would hold several rods with the reels installed. Or you could use some wall mount rod holders and mount them on the wall behind the sink, then tell your wife it's a new style towel rack.
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 01:25 PM   #3

Michigan
yes that square post idea is a good one.

no won't be mounting near the kitchen area.....i've seen me cook.
Old 03-09-2012, 03:43 PM   #4

Trailer: 2003 Casita Spirit Deluxe 16 ft (Eggs-Car-Go with ivy the tug)
fly rods

We put the flyrods in the Rav 4 tow vehicle in their case. They are not in the way in the camper and are ready to take to the stream.
Edward Shook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 04:51 PM   #5

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler and 1987 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Registry
I carry mine in it's (their) tube(s) in the closet and the reels and accessories in a small bag. Then it's just a quick switch to the car/truck.

Be a good guy and don't buy your wife "the cheapest" set up because she is "just learning." Depending on what kind of fishing you do and her strength she might be more comfortable with a lighter rod that you are used to using. You can also upload the line one weight to get the rod to load better depending on it's action.

You may know all that..... but I get ascared when husbands offer to teach their wives to fish.
Old 03-09-2012, 05:03 PM   #6

Name: Dave
Trailer: ,Bigfoot 25 foot plus Surfside 14 foot
British Columbia
I used a length of "sewer pipe" from "Home Despot", Add the threaded ends and get the screw-on caps/plugs. Attach to back bumper with large U-bolts.

I carried the poles for the awning for my Boler in that set-up
BCDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 05:05 PM   #7

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
You should mount them to the ceiling, so you can see them when you lie down and when you get up.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 05:25 PM   #8

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler and 1987 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
You should mount them to the ceiling, so you can see them when you lie down and when you get up.
That's what hubby wanted to do but the Boler roof is already a head banger for him. Now in the Bigfoot that's a possibility!
Old 03-09-2012, 05:29 PM   #9
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
If you use pipe say attached to the bumper, make sure there is room for not just your rods but packing (bubble wrap, ect.). The trailer suspension will give things quite the ride. I am not a fisherman myself, though once in a while I pretend to be. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 10:13 PM   #10

Trailer: Casita 2000 Spirit Deluxe
I just draped mine above the window, they rested on the top window sill. I did not ever travel with them though that way. They were up out of the way when camping and not needing to use them

Karalyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 10:21 PM   #11

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I know Joy A. and others... have put mounting brackets behind the bi-fold screen door in Scamps to hold fishing rods. Out of site and safe place for (perhaps) a custom made asset. Remember, anything placed on the Exterior is available to others that may want to have what you own!

Hopefully Joy will be along to post a picture of her mod... pretty cool!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 11:11 PM   #12

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
Actually they are not behind the bi-fold screen but rather on the area between the strike plate and the screen.

The Super Klips come in large and small and then there is one that is not round but more rectangle. You'll find them in the hardware store where they have all the other mounting devises, you know those screw in red brackets etc.

You can see in one picture the large klip it holds the butt of the rod. Then I used several of the small klips to hold the rods in one or two places depending on the rod. The klips in the picture are brown but I used white for obvious reasons.

And, you can see a flashlight below the large klip. It's a small mag lite that fits perfectly in a large klip. It's a handy place for the flashlight.

Here's some pictures:
Attached Thumbnails
Fishing rods 1.JPG   fishing rods 3.JPG  

fishing rods 4.JPG   fishing rods 5.JPG  

2019 Ram Longhorn
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 04:13 AM   #13

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizbeth View Post
I carry mine in it's (their) tube(s) in the closet and the reels and accessories in a small bag. Then it's just a quick switch to the car/truck.

Be a good guy and don't buy your wife "the cheapest" set up because she is "just learning." Depending on what kind of fishing you do and her strength she might be more comfortable with a lighter rod that you are used to using. You can also upload the line one weight to get the rod to load better depending on it's action.

You may know all that..... but I get ascared when husbands offer to teach their wives to fish.
heck no.'ll get her the best.
Old 03-11-2012, 04:16 AM   #14

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I know Joy A. and others... have put mounting brackets behind the bi-fold screen door in Scamps to hold fishing rods. Out of site and safe place for (perhaps) a custom made asset. Remember, anything placed on the Exterior is available to others that may want to have what you own!

Hopefully Joy will be along to post a picture of her mod... pretty cool!
true donna,,, thats why a drain tube lookalike idea,,, who wants to steal a uaed drain tube?
Old 03-11-2012, 04:17 AM   #15

Michigan
the superclip idea looks good, i'll see what the space and rods dictate.
Old 03-11-2012, 06:30 AM   #16

Trailer: Boler 1984
I use a travell tube to protect my fishing rods. It'll carry 4-5, which I keep in the back of the tow. An old, soft camera bag with it's dividers, keeps the reels protected.
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 07:56 AM   #17

Trailer: 2010 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe
Registry
We keep ours in the closet, in the rod tubes, or else in the back of the truck. Keep the reels, waders, etc. in a bag in the back of the truck also.

First thing I thought of was when someone mentioned attaching something to the bumper was getting rear-ended. It may never happend, but then again . . .
Marsha D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 10:44 AM   #18

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsha D View Post
We keep ours in the closet, in the rod tubes, or else in the back of the truck. Keep the reels, waders, etc. in a bag in the back of the truck also.

First thing I thought of was when someone mentioned attaching something to the bumper was getting rear-ended. It may never happend, but then again . . .
well,,,thats what insurance is for......yeah i know it looks like an inexpensive rod,,,,but i swear its an orvis!
Old 08-13-2014, 10:40 PM   #19

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
It's not a 13', but the only good spot I found for mine was in the bathroom. I know mine would get ripped off if they were in the doorway.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1407991179.100164.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	74859

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Jared J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 11:55 PM   #20

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Mine go in rod cases which are stowed securely.

Ballistic Cases Series Fly Fishing Luggage | Sage