Fixing a hole - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 05-21-2017, 10:48 AM   #15

Name: Michael
Trailer: 16' Scamp Standard
Massachusetts
Eddie,
Yes, come to think of it, that hole has been open and exposed all along. Toilet sits on the blackwater tank which sits on a gasket connected to the sewage pipe. That pipe is about 3" in diameter I think leaving the sides of the hole (5") exposed all around. Scamp must have coated the sides with resin. The only thing that concerns me is the gap above between the fiberglass floor and the OSB but I suppose I could use some 3M sealant there as well. This would be the simplest of solutions. I bought a 4 x 8 panel of exterior grade OSB so I could cut out three 5" disks to fill that hole. Haven't cut into it yet so can return. The idea that the hole was already exposed did cross my mind when I first started thinking about a solution but it must have been moving pretty fast. Your feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Old 05-21-2017, 11:42 AM   #16
CPW

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Flori-duh!
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzis4u View Post
And Carl, it's one thing to say "I would note that I'm not being critical" and then proceed to offer one negative critique after another. But I do appreciate that you were the first to respond and offer a solution.
I would point out that I did not get "critical" until Capt. Sandy promoted the composting toilet as being superior to a conventional holding tank system for his stated reasons. I have no problem with composting toilets if they are being used to extend one's stay due to restrictions resulting from small holding tanks, and the "composted" product is disposed of properly. What I am critical of is dumping it on the ground somewhere because "I don't want to be inconvenienced because someone got to the dump station ahead of me." Or "I can't be bothered to even dig a deep enough hole and adequately cover the sawdust mixture for the health and benefit of others who come after me. But that is OK because I remember the dung beatles from my childhood." Anything critical or negative I might have posted resulted from a cavalier attitude about dumping fecal waste anywhere or everywhere, particularly on public lands, totally disregarding others.