Flame King refillable 1 lb canisters - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-10-2018, 02:00 PM   #1

Trailer: 2017 Escape 17
Mount Horeb, Wisconsin
Flame King refillable 1 lb canisters

We like to use 1 lb canisters but hate to deal with the single use canisters. Don't want to try to refill the disposable ones. Has anyone used this system?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Flame-King-...x2YA:rk:9:pf:0
Thanks for any thoughts, Tony
Tony Nowak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 02:29 PM   #2

Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
I've considered buying one as they have gone on and off the market. At least, I think they were not available for a time after their initial introduction. Or, maybe it was just that Amazon quit carrying them.

The cost for just a 1# cylinder is about $17. The rest of the cost is for the stand to hold your 20# cylinder and the refill adaptor. Those items may or may not be of value to different folks.

Currently, I carry an adaptor hose so we can run things off our 11# cylinders. I guess that's the primary reason I haven't followed through and bought the 1# refillable.

Civilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 06:26 PM   #3

Trailer: Boler 13 ft / Casita FD
I have one and was directions say you fill any empty 1lb canister but I have yet to try it because I do not have an empty one. My camper is up for the winter but I will hook up the small bottle to my home grill and when empty plan to give it a try.
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 10:29 PM   #4

Name: Fredrick
Trailer: Escape 21C
Tennessee
refillables

we bought a 5 lb refillable and use that w out outdoor grille..like it and the hose gets the tank away from the heat. FWIW we chain the tank to the picnic table and just leave it out there at a campsite.
Fred762 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 03:08 PM   #5

Name: G
Trailer: Damon
Alberta
Refilling 1# propane canisters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Nowak View Post
We like to use 1 lb canisters but hate to deal with the single use canisters. Don't want to try to refill the disposable ones. Has anyone used this system?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Flame-King-...x2YA:rk:9:pf:0
Thanks for any thoughts, Tony
Hi, for less than $20.00 Harbor freight has a neat little solid brass adapter That allows you to fill your canister. However you have to provide the fancy little stand! Also you still have to make and break the gas connection. Youtube will show how to force more product into your canister, NOT!!

For peace of mind I buy two new canisters every other year, then use and refill as required then repeat.
workhorsed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 03:48 PM   #6

Trailer: 2002 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe
It's a neat looking system, but for me it's too pricey when comparing the other option. I've been refilling the disposable bottles for years with the HF adapter. Maybe I'm lucky, but have never had a problem with one by following their directions. We travel for weeks at a time, and try to always have four or five canisters in the truck. It's rare that I refill a bottle over one time. When I see a "new" empty sitting beside a dumpster, I grab it and discard one of my empties.
Jerry Chapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 05:18 PM   #7

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Just please be very careful how you store the refilled 1lb canisters. They're not designed to be refilled.... I had friends with a big monster 5th wheel that had a milk carton full of refilled canisters in the 'basement' of their 5th wheel. Arriving at camp, when the baggage door was opened, it smelled VERY strongly of propane. At least one of the canisters had leaked. Fortunately no big BOOM happened.

I wish you well
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 06:12 PM   #8

Trailer: Boler 13 ft / Casita FD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Just please be very careful how you store the refilled 1lb canisters. They're not designed to be refilled.... I had friends with a big monster 5th wheel that had a milk carton full of refilled canisters in the 'basement' of their 5th wheel. Arriving at camp, when the baggage door was opened, it smelled VERY strongly of propane. At least one of the canisters had leaked. Fortunately no big BOOM happened.

I wish you well
Yes Donna, I have noticed that even new ones off the shelf will sometimes leak after I have used them, then take them off the appliance.
I think the seat does not seat as it should after it is taken off and it will leak the remaining gas out.
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 12:46 PM   #9

Name: Dan
Trailer: scamp 19
Illinois
I bought the Flame King for a lot less last year on Amazon

What is nice about them is the ability to fill the entire propane tank up. It has a bleed valve on the cylinder. Also, they are designed to be refilled and do not leak like a non-refillable cylinder. I don't use the stand. I just take my 20lb tank off the camper and put it upside down on the edge of a picnic table and fill my tanks that way
BOGDOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 07:07 PM   #10

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
If I had to use appliances that used those 1lb bottles, I would definitely get the hose adapter to run it from a proper refillable bottle with a valve, be it a 20 or smaller.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 07:17 PM   #11

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Problem I've encountered with the 1 lb. bottles is that if they are detached from the appliance ( like packing a Coleman lantern in its case ), the bottle slowly leaks the contents. That's even more frustrating if you just put the new bottle on because the old one ran out a fuel in the middle of preparing dinner or playing hearts.
I'm happy with my 10 lb tank and a hose. Easily packed and carried and doesn't run out at inopportune moments.
Old 11-13-2018, 09:50 PM   #12

Tennessee
Talking tanks alot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Problem I've encountered with the 1 lb. bottles is that if they are detached from the appliance ( like packing a Coleman lantern in its case ), the bottle slowly leaks the contents. That's even more frustrating if you just put the new bottle on because the old one ran out a fuel in the middle of preparing dinner or playing hearts.
I'm happy with my 10 lb tank and a hose. Easily packed and carried and doesn't run out at inopportune moments.
WE like the 5lb size(w std fittings attached) for portability and it fits well under the "Bak-Flip" tonneau cover of the Frontier.
Old 11-14-2018, 08:46 AM   #13

Name: Carl
Trailer: LiL Hauley
Syracuse, NY
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOGDOG View Post
I bought the Flame King for a lot less last year on Amazon

What is nice about them is the ability to fill the entire propane tank up. It has a bleed valve on the cylinder. Also, they are designed to be refilled and do not leak like a non-refillable cylinder. I don't use the stand. I just take my 20lb tank off the camper and put it upside down on the edge of a picnic table and fill my tanks that way

Propane tanks are not designed to be filled fully, only to about 80%. You have to leave enough room for expansion with changing temperatures. A 20 lb tank should only hold about 16 lb of gas. You should also always store them upright so if they leak they will expel vapor instead of liquid.
Old 11-14-2018, 08:48 AM   #14

A 20 lb. tank, with 20 lbs. of propane in it, is filled to 80 per cent of capacity. No need to reduce it further.
A full 20 lb. tank weighs about 37.5 lbs.
Old 11-14-2018, 08:53 AM   #15

Name: Carl
Trailer: LiL Hauley
Syracuse, NY
I prefer this adapter to the flame king. There is much less liquid in the adapter to release when decoupling it. Save the environment and your $$ at the same time!

https://www.amazon.com/DozyAnt-Regul...70_&dpSrc=srch
Old 11-15-2018, 12:25 AM   #16

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
I'd rather have the hose adapter, https://www.amazon.com/DOZYANT-FQ01-...dp/B06Y5XFF6F/
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 12:34 AM   #17

Tennessee
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
That's what we use..our grille has an adapter which slips on where the 1 lb tank screws on, and the hose connects easily to let us set the 5 lb tank down, away from the flames.
Old 11-15-2018, 12:57 AM   #18

I use the hose and a 10 lb. tank. Had a five pound before it aged out. I don't have to carry around a case of expensive one pound tanks and I don't have to refill bottles. The five pound was usually all that's needed for a week or two of cooking on the BBQ ( with a single one pound bottle in case I ran out ). Now I just ensure the 10 lb. is full at the beginning of a trip.

That 10 lb. tank is also insurance in case I run out of gas at home with my full size BBQ.
Old 11-17-2018, 01:47 PM   #19

Name: Ray
Trailer: scamp
Indiana
Legal ---. No

Legally you can refill those single-use containers. But the second you put them in any kind of vehicle and put it on the road you are committing a federal offense. Really there's only a fine involved but there is a rule against it. Not sure how they would check and enforce it. But there's also some really good reasons for that rule.

single user really only good for single-use and if you refill them they do at times explode and even if you aren't around them when they explode that'll do a lot of damage. Think of how many of those you could buy for a few hundred dollars or a few thousand dollars worth of damage to something. And think of what a little bit of permanent damage to you could cost you.

I don't think that refill the single-use thing is at all a viable alternative.
computerspook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 07:28 AM   #20

Name: Tryonbrewer
Trailer: Northern Lite
South Carolina
Tanks and OPD

I use a 5 lb cylinder with the NexGrill portable. To all of you that have one of the Flame King systems that invert the 20 lb tank, isn't there an OPD and safety mechanism in the tank that shuts off propane flow if the tank is on it's side or inverted? If not, why do the propane vendors instruct folks to transport their tanks in an upright position or risk damaging the OPD?
tschager is offline   Reply With Quote