Flame King refillable 1 lb canisters - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-18-2018, 07:40 AM   #21

Name: Fredrick
Trailer: Escape 21C
Tennessee
20 lb tanks..

Quote:
Originally Posted by tschager View Post
I use a 5 lb cylinder with the NexGrill portable. To all of you that have one of the Flame King systems that invert the 20 lb tank, isn't there an OPD and safety mechanism in the tank that shuts off propane flow if the tank is on it's side or inverted? If not, why do the propane vendors instruct folks to transport their tanks in an upright position or risk damaging the OPD?
I have used 20 lb tanks for years, and always upright, but there aparently are some folks whomake tanks designed to be used in other positions: Horizontal

I think the vertical tanks are built so that vapor only is allowed into the lines. May be wrong tho.
Fred762 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 11:39 AM   #22

Name: FarmerDoug
Trailer: Escape19
Michigan
That looks like a nice setup, but for that price you can get a lot of cylinders. I have a hose and adapter for larger tanks, and also a refill adapter. I have refilled several 1# cylinders, but it is a little tricky. I watched several YouTube videos. I found by removing valve and totally evacuating empty (its never empty) then putting empty in freezer over night I cam get about a 3/4 full cylinder (based on weight).

I'm retired so time spent is not an issue. I have a brake vacuum pump, which I an going to try using it on my next batch.
Ourescape19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 09:27 PM   #23

Name: Perry
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ
Lanesboro, Minnesota, between Whalan and Fountain
We are using the Flame King "Legally" refillable bottles. It's not as easy to remove one of our LP tank from our new Escape 5.0 fifth wheel as is was to remove from our Scamp, Casita, or especially Bigfoot campers.

So far they refill easily with the included fill adapter that shuts off easily. I'm impressed with how well this kit works. We did purchase a second bottle. We've in the fourth week of camping with the new camper and Flame King bottles, use our oven/grill every night and are only on our third bottle. I was informed about these bottles from another FG owner who has used these for a couple of years with no problems.

Oh, and you don't need the fancy stand. We've found a picnic table works better than that flimsy stand.

Enjoy,

Perry

Previous Eggs -2018 Escape 5.0 TA, 2001 Scamp 16' Side Bath, 2007 Casita 17' Spirit basic, no bath, water or tanks, 2003 Bigfoot 25B25RQ, that we regreted selling
Perryb67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 07:11 AM   #24

Name: FarmerDoug
Trailer: Escape19
Michigan
I have found many full cylinders at garage and estate sales, I always check the weight. That Flame King looks like a nice refill kit, but I don't use that many small cylinders. In fact I don't even use much propane except on the back yard barbecue.
Ourescape19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 01:51 PM   #25

Name: Bryan
Trailer: Carefree
British Columbia
US vs Canada

Hi All,

Just wondering if the Flame King refillable bottles are legal in Canada?

Their site mentions certified by DOT which of course is a US department.

Thanks!
CarefreeLad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 06:31 PM   #26

Name: Donald
Trailer: Happier Camper HC1 (Subaru Outback Stranded Me)now towing with RAM 1500 Ecodiesel Major overkill.
California
I use this refill kit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Nowak View Post
We like to use 1 lb canisters but hate to deal with the single use canisters. Don't want to try to refill the disposable ones. Has anyone used this system?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Flame-King-...x2YA:rk:9:pf:0
Thanks for any thoughts, Tony
I purchased this refill kit over a year ago. I think, at the time, it was in the mid $30 range. I had purchased 3 refillable 1 lb cylinders and was exchanging them at the local propane provider for about $2 each. I like this better than taking the 1 lb refillables in and exchanging them as you can save any fuel that is still in the small cylinder. So far the system has worked well. By my calculations the system should pay for itself in about 15-20 refills, vs, buying 1 lb cylinders off the shelf.