Flaming other members... - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

View Poll Results: Should Flamers be notified to stop flaming so everyone can see the notice
Yes 4 22.22%
No 14 77.78%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 11-26-2011, 01:35 PM   #1

Trailer: Helite
Flaming other members...

Should the moderators openly notify people who are flaming others.
In otherwords, should everyone be able to see the notice.
Old 11-26-2011, 02:09 PM   #2

Trailer: Chalet
Send a message via Yahoo to Lynn Musgrave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art VanDelay View Post
Should the moderators openly notify people who are flaiming others.
In otherwords, should everyone be able to see the notice.
My answer is not really a yes or no one....like to lean toward maybe they did not mean it to sound the way it did.So if I had to decide what to do I would first send a PM to the flamer and explain that they came across to strong and show them the rules of conduct. I would post that a PM had been sent to them on ...said date... Then if they flamed again I would make it be a Public Notice for all to see and know what was said to them. Even if they were flaming the moderators.
Old 11-26-2011, 02:13 PM   #3

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: Art VanDelay... Would you be OK...being publicly chastized?
I think everyone who does flame others should be given a chance to rethink...retract their actions/words... before action is taken against them by anyone!!! IMHO
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Old 11-26-2011, 02:39 PM   #4

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I'm with Lynn, maybe yes... maybe no. Contrary to popular belief, this website isn't moderated 24 hours a day. All the moderators are volunteers... some have regular jobs and all have lives outside this site. If there isn't a moderator to handle the situation promptly, I've seen a lot of damage that can be done in an hour. I've sent PMs when I thought it appropriate and also publically encouraged everyone to "play nice," in hopes of dampening a situation. It's interesting to note, at least one PM I've sent the flamer actually accused ME of being a "forum Nazi." Not true and that in itself is flaming.

If everyone would simply think twice before pushing the "reply" button we may not even be having this discussion.
Old 11-26-2011, 02:54 PM   #5

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Aggressive posts

I agree with Lynn and Donna.

Aggressive posts are rare. Generally they should be ignored and most often they melt away in the reasonableness of most posters.

Personally I use a PM for the rare occasion when I think my communication has been misunderstood, or if some one responses in a non-civil manner to one of my posts. Generally a PM opens more thoughtful communication between people who sometimes seem at odds.

As one of the retired moderators with time on my hands, I try to read every post, minimally to insure civility, mostly to gain knowledge. Now that we're on the road for 11 months my timeliness will not be as good but I am no less enthusiastic and hopefully no less thorough.

Rvs are now one of my primary pleasures and Fiberglass RVs in particular; my hope is to learn as much as possible from each of you.

This is a marvelous cite because the bulk of us care about Fiberglass RVs and need the civil support of each other.

Peaceful sharing is our goal, from the SC/GA border

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 11-26-2011, 03:02 PM   #6

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Opposed

I'm opposed to open statements from moderators to non civil or inappropriate posters.

Generally I'm in favorite of quiet solution of problems and will always PM the offender and sometimes the offended, attempting to resolve issues gentlely.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 11-26-2011, 05:00 PM   #7

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Norm, when did you retire as a moderator? There's it is again.
I agree with Norm, The goal of a moderator is not to be seen or heard on the forum unless absolutely needed, but everyone should be aware that we are there if needed.
Old 11-26-2011, 05:11 PM   #8

Name: Mark
Trailer: 1969 Boler (Flat Top)
British Columbia
Registry
I belong to several Forums. A few in Bolers, Birding and Astronomy. I'm new to FGRV.com and I'm exceedingly impressed by the general demeanour and sense of community. Tolerence in answering the repetative, niave questions of the newb (that's me) as well as ease of expressing diverse opinion. To the point where I'll tell non-eggers about the forum (I say it's better than facebook). I think a large portion of this success is the ability to stay on topic and not get sidetracked on personal discussion. I have seen a ten year old bird forum shut down due to being overwhelmed by politics and forum ethics. It was a sad loss off connection and information. This actually prompted my contribution to the topic.
It seems successful here, if it ain't broke don't fix it. The moderators are doing something right. As Donna mentioned though, moderators aren't always on hand. That is where the community steps in. There is a great (and large) group of regulars that set the tone. Several have already chimed in above. Flamers are called flamers because they intend to inflame, they're also called trolls because they're trolling for a reaction. IMHO it is best to completely ignore them publicly and when possible privately as well. Things may have been misunderstood and could cause embarrassment or confrontation, or worse, give the desired reaction.

MHO

soo….How 'bout them eggs?
Old 11-26-2011, 08:11 PM   #9

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
I haven't seen any flamers around here, so it seems like a non-issue to me. Other forums handle it privately, mod to poster, and that seems appropriate.
Old 11-27-2011, 06:47 AM   #10

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
Publicly chastising a flamer is a kind of flaming, in my opinion. A gentle caution followed by private steps makes sense to me.

CindyL
Old 11-27-2011, 11:06 AM   #11
Administrator

Trailer: Argosy
Registry
Our community rules fairly clearly lay out expectations of member participation and also are the standard to which moderators act regarding member issues.

Moderators are volunteers and it is a difficult task they have. One of our tenants is that we do not discuss moderation publicly. This is between a moderator and the member who may be involved and is a privacy issue.

This section of our rules covers most of these issues:

Quote:
Be Courteous!
Our philosophy is that we want the forum to be an online reflection of the RV'ing community. Treat each other with respect, just as you would around a campfire. Here are some general guidelines that we expect you to follow:
  • Our rules extend to all sections of the website including messaging functions, galleries and any other public or private posting.
  • Personal attacks on others will not be tolerated. Challenge others' points of view and opinions, but do so respectfully and thoughtfully. Excessive sarcasm, belligerence, insults, profanity, anger, offensive comments about race, gender, sexual orientation, religion, and national origin, are not acceptable.
  • Do not post libelous remarks or directly misleading information.
  • Do not post the same discussion topic more than once or in several areas of the forum.
  • Do not take every opportunity to express your disagreement, incite argument, insult each other, or fan flames. Voice your opinion respectfully and then let it go.
  • Posts containing vulgar language that are overly explicit or obscene, images or links to websites with adult content/images are not allowed.
  • Trolling, cyber-bullying and cyberstalking are NOT allowed and are grounds for account restriction or banishment. Trolling on this board includes posting controversial and often irrelevant or off-topic messages with the intention of (or anticipated result of) baiting other users into an emotional response or to generally disrupt normal, harmonious on-topic discussion, especially when a pattern of such posting is apparent.
  • Our user base is not a resource to be "mined" by individuals, groups, or businesses, for profit or not for profit. Participants may not post affiliate links or links to direct others to any pages at their own commercial website or website in which they have a commercial interest, including informational pages unless a vendor account has been established.
  • Be mindful of yourself and others. This forum is not a democracy; it is privately owned and we make the rules. If rules are violated we retain the right to remove, edit or delete posts and if necessary ban or remove members. Any abuse directed at our staff may/will result in immediate suspension of your account.
  • Public discussion about moderation or moderator decisions is not allowed. If a moderator deletes or edits one of your posts and you disagree with the action, contact the moderator concerned. Do not repost deleted material.
  • Discussions about politics, weaponry and religion are permitted only in association with the topic of this forum and will be closed or removed if they become disruptive.
  • We take the "be nice" rule VERY seriously! We do not tolerate any rudeness.
Moderators are members of the community as well and it is often difficult for them to step in and let another member know that their actions are out of line, but they take on this task so that the the board remains calm and welcoming to all. Members can help. As Donna mentioned the forum is largely self policing. Mods don't read every post and we count on members to report trouble when they see it. Clicking the report post icon over to the left of each post send s a note to moderators about a specific issue so that they can take a look. It is the fastest way to get attention for a problem or possible problem. We appreciate your help immensely in this manner.

In keeping with our stated objective of keeping moderating private and in the hopes that we can get back to discussing fiberglass rvs, we are going to close this thread. The poll associated with post one is just not in keeping with our stated purpose to keep moderator interactions private.

Thanks for understanding
Closed Thread