Flat hose on reel (as seen on TV) - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-13-2008, 08:34 PM   #1

Trailer: Casita 2000 Spirit Deluxe
I just bought a flat 40 ft hose on a reel that winds up into the reel, at Target today. This hose will take up a lot less storage in my camper if it works out good. Is anyone using one of these in their camper for hooking up to city water supply??? If so, how do you like it?

Karalyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 08:48 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
If you plan on using it for drinking water, make sure it's designed for that. Most hoses aren't. Here's one of many links for more information: Garden Hoses’ Safety - Get the Lead Out

Here's a quote: Even safer hoses, though, are clearly marked “For Drinking Water.” They are lined with plastic or made from medical-grade vinyl and can be found at recreational vehicle or boat and marine supply houses. They are easy to spot as they are often white with a blue stripe down their length; there are some, however, marketed for RVs, that are beige but still have the tell-tale blue stripe. Hoses designed for drinking water may also have treatments to make them bacteria, mold, and mildew free.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 09:02 PM   #3

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
I just bought a flat 40 ft hose on a real that winds up into the real, at Target today. This hose will take up a lot less storage in my camper if it works out good. Is anyone using one of these in their camper for hooking up to city water supply??? If so, how do you like it?
I have the flat hose on a reel. Mine is designed for RV potable water use. 40ft is a lot of this type of hose to deal with. You have unwind the whole thing to use it. You can't leave part of it on the reel. The kink and stop the water flow quite easily, so you have spread out the excess in large loops. If you're only 10' from the water connection that means you have to have 30' of hose that wants to be straight. It can be a challenge to keep the kinks out.

Have fun

Byron
Old 07-13-2008, 09:23 PM   #4

Trailer: 1994 Lil Bigfoot and 1967 Traveleze Royal Traveler
I looked at those hoses and didn't get one for the same reasons Byron mentioned.

I use one of these: http://www.campingworld.com/browse/skus/in...se/skunum=26202

Easier to manage and somewhat less storagespace-consuming than a regular 25' white hose. Stays off the ground too, which is convenient. I used to carry a short white hose and a long one. This hose does the job of both.
Old 07-13-2008, 09:25 PM   #5

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
I had a 25 foot one an ended up throwing it out. Not only do you need to unwind the whole thing as mentioned above, it gets filthy filthy filthy. The cloth exterior picks up every bit of dirt and mung it comes in contact with.. and it never comes out.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 10:21 PM   #6

It sounds like I should have asked BEFORE taking the hose out of the box! Anyone want a brand new hose on a real? LOL
Yes, it does say to unwind it,
It might just be going in my neighbors garage sale this week. No sense in getting it all dirty like Gina says hers got. I was wondering about that. Thanks for the information!
Dave, Do those coiled hoses stay coiled after repeated usage???

Old 07-13-2008, 10:37 PM   #7

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
It sounds like I should have asked BEFORE taking the hose out of the box! Anyone want a brand new hose on a real? LOL
Yes, it does say to unwind it,
It might just be going in my neighbors garage sale this week. No sense in getting it all dirty like Gina says hers got. I was wondering about that. Thanks for the information!

I don't worry about the outside getting dirty, that's to be expected. But it is a bit of a pain to keep it from kinking. Like I said I've used it 2 or 3 times. I don't usually connect to city water. My on board water tank is good enough for me.

Byron
Old 07-14-2008, 05:35 AM   #8

Trailer: 1996 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel ('TOGETHERNEST' SLEEPS 8
THE OTHER SIDE I have 25 and 10 foot ones of these that I have used for 20 years now and am very satified with them I see no problem with unwinding so as to use all of it as I haven' seen any hose that you can use only part of in my years. I try to use them on the gress as much as I can but they only get dirty on the outside as any other hose.
Lyndon Laney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 06:34 AM   #9

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Registry
I had one ---TOTAL JUNK ----------Just my opinion
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 06:52 AM   #10

Trailer: 2005 17 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
Send a message via Yahoo to Al V
I have had a few of them over the years. the one i had hooked up in the garage worked great for years. then the ones i used outside never lasted more then a week or two before they would spring a leak in the hose. I dont know why the outside ones never lasted, ants with a 'tude against hoses maybe lol
Al V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 04:26 PM   #11

Trailer: 1994 Lil Bigfoot and 1967 Traveleze Royal Traveler
Quote:
I've had it over a year now, and it's still 'springy'. It doesn't easily fit back into the packaging, so I threw that away, but it does compact some. It does seem to take up less space than a 25' white hose (traditional, not flat), and it's just a lot easier to deal with overall. The fittings on the end seem to be pretty good quality, too.

I first saw one on Nancy's trailer a couple years back, and immediately thought "I have got to get one of those!" Turns out I was right.
Old 07-15-2008, 08:38 PM   #12

Thanks Dave, I am going to get me one of those coiled ones. I took the flat hose back today as I did not rip the box and it packed back in there just fine. Fourty feet of flat hose is alot to unwind if parking next to the water source.
Thanks everyone for your replies!