flat screen tv's - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 02-23-2012, 05:00 PM   #15

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
As an energy reference, a 19" LED/LCD Vizio TV from walmarts draws 22watts an hour. That is equivalent to one incandescent bulb in the typical trailer. Power is not an issue.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 06:15 PM   #16

Name: Don
Trailer: 17.5 Bigfoot
Ontario
"Buy a small 100 watt inverter and you can run it anywhere every night if you choose."

I'm wondering about this statement. My research shows that to run a LED TV off an inverter....the inverter has to be a Pure Sine Wave type. I just purchased a 1000W Pure Sine wave Inverter.....I haven't read about a PSI of less than 1000W. Right in the instructions it states that a Modified Wave Inverter is not recommended for a LED TV....a Pure Sine Wave Inverter is recommended. The above may not apply to a LCD TV. Please enlighten me.

PS.....Norm....just saw your post in the Inverter thread.

Old 02-23-2012, 06:31 PM   #17

Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
Indiana
Loves truck stop has one on sale now with the built in DVD player, it's AC/DC and I think it was like $115.00.
Old 02-23-2012, 06:41 PM   #18

Ontario
I just bought this nicely sized Samsung 22" LED TV from Best Buy. AC only. One of the few TVs still offering a Head Phone jack. Cool white color that blends in nicely. Also comes in black. Very light. great picture.

http://http://www.samsung.com/ca/con...UN22D5010NFXZC
Old 02-23-2012, 07:28 PM   #19

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Sine Wave

Don,

If I sold Sine Wave Inverters that's what I'd say as well.

We've been running off non-sine wave inverters since we started RVing 11 years ago and have not seen a single issue with non-sine wave inverters.

Virtually every 110 VAC TV has a circuit that turns the AC into DC as a first step any way.

We buy our 2 little 100 watt inverters at Walmart and our 1200 watt Inverter at the Black and Decker outlet. The former were $19 and the latter was $59.

I'm reporting our actual experience and hopes this helps.

We've used the small inverters to run 2 different TVs, Satellite Dish Receiver, all our phones and all of our computers over an 11 year period.

We've used the large one to run an AC fridge we had in an earlier trailer, and our coffee pot as well as the items run by the smaller inverter.

In general I look for low cost solutions that work.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 08:09 PM   #20

Name: Ed
Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2002 Casita Freedom Deluxe,The driveway is a Dark & Lonely Place now!
Missouri
Don

I have a 200watt PSI unit for the record.
Also for the record I do not think in general it matters either way for most TV's out there.

If the TV is an A.C. model then it will already have an inverter inside it or in the power cord as the backlight on small TV's is not run from 120vac power anyway.
Whether the thing uses LED or CFL backlight they will in general be stepped down a lot inside somewhere.
This makes them less prone to issues with an external inverter and the quality of its waveform.

There is a lot of just strange info out here on the web about all of this and I have to wonder how it is passed on really?

Of course it would be better to find a 12vdc unit for everything in our rigs but I have heard of very few issues with cheapo inverters really destroying anything lately due to the waveform output by them.
That does not mean it can't and doesn't happen,I just do not think it is very common.

Now if the input voltage drops to the point where the inverter can not maintain a steady output most that I have seen will shut down from undervoltage thus protecting the load that way too.
My little PSI model does this and beeps loudly as a warning which is both nice and annoying at the same time.
Old 02-23-2012, 08:42 PM   #21

Ontario
Thanks Norm and Ed for the "actual use" info you supply. It is appreciated. It's easy to get bogged down with info from the internet and one can become overwhelmed at times. I'm going to go out tomorrow and buy a small inverter like Norm has, hook it and see how it performs.
Old 02-23-2012, 09:16 PM   #22

Name: George
Trailer: Waiting for the Sprinter van and designing the converion modules.
Oregon
Some of the inexpensive inverters can cause problems. There are 3 types of inverters: square wave, modified sine wave and pure sine wave. The most inexpensive ones could be square wave. I fried Nikon battery charger with one of them so since I only use pure sine wave. For further reading these are good sites:
Inverter Selection
http://www.homeof12volt.com.au/index...4f9015d4cf3439
From Home of 12V - “…….As a result, powering such equipment with a Modified Sine Wave may cause “grain” or small amount of “snow” on your T.V picture or even a humming noise. Digital appliances with timing devices, light dimmers or variable speed devices such as late model microwaves may not work well or may not even work at all. Modified Sine Inverters will power appliances such as power tools, kitchen appliances charging mobile phones, camera batteries and most T.V’s, DVD players…..”

George.
Old 02-28-2012, 07:16 AM   #23

Name: Carol
Trailer: Chalet XL for sale. Hoping to get a Snoozy.
New York
If one has a tv that can run on 12V then will it be okay to plug into the campground electricity also? I have a Honda generator but not an inverter. (not really understanding inverters)
Old 02-28-2012, 07:19 AM   #24

Name: jim
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape19 Prairie Schooner pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolMarie View Post
If one has a tv that can run on 12V then will it be okay to plug into the campground electricity also? I have a Honda generator but not an inverter. (not really understanding inverters)
Yes, when you hook up at a CG you use their 120v electric which your converter converts to 12v for your lights, pump, tv. An inverter will take your 12v and then convert back to 120v. They work but you lose some power in the conversion. I prefer straight 12v items.
Old 02-28-2012, 09:28 AM   #25

Name: Darwin
Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Carol

Should U purchase a new 12VDC TV, It should come with a cord/box to plug it into house power.
Old 02-28-2012, 11:59 AM   #26

Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Harris View Post
In over 35 years selling TV's I have NEVER seen a man want a smaller one and rarely seen a Woman want a bigger one.

Just the way it is?
nope,,,,not gonna go there.....nope not gonna do it........
Old 02-28-2012, 12:04 PM   #27

Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolMarie View Post

hmmm, carol near as i can figure,,,an inverter must invert your picture.....though why you would want your picture upside down is somethin i'll need to ponder on a might bit.
Old 02-28-2012, 12:07 PM   #28

Name: James
Trailer: Uhaul CT-13
Ohio
Registry
Compromise, I think anything in the 27-38" range would be more than enough, power consumption would not be that bad, and keep the price reasonable. I have a 21" TV/DVD combo and it is plenty big.