Name: Darwin
Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
John, Just hang the TV upside down.

Old 02-28-2012, 01:14 PM   #30

Name: Laura
Trailer: Winnebago
Iowa
Thanks everybody, I got a lot of information to think on, and no I don't want to turn my TV upside down either.

Old 02-28-2012, 01:52 PM   #31
Commercial Member

Name: Mark and Tara
Trailer: 2005 13' Scamp
New York
Wow! Not mean to offense any of you. But um, if you are going to camp, which means to get away from real world of work, crazyness, the arrival of bills in the mail daily, why have a TV for any trailers or any RVs?!? My wife and I avoid TV at any costs when we travel. We want to stick with old fashioned way. They earn it! Hahhaa.
Old 02-28-2012, 01:53 PM   #32
Commercial Member

New York
BTW, I wish all brands out there do not sell TV at all like I do not need radios in automobiles. They should have separated them! I do not listen to radio. I am DEAF! Hahaha. Duh!!
Old 02-28-2012, 02:27 PM   #33

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Electronic entertainment.

Mark,

Is it to get away from the real work or to see the world. I ceertainly can understand wanting to get away from TV for a weekend or a vacation, but when you're on the road for 11 months it's nice to be able to be in touch with the world by choice.

As a result we carry a sat dish, Verizon wireless Internet, a great radio and phones. It allows us to choose to on the edge of a canyon in no where Texas, or watching our home state basketball team......

We think we have it all, the wonderous world of travel or any part of the busy world we want to participate in.

In my case it allows me to be on this forum....

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 04:08 PM   #34
Commercial Member

New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
Mark,

Is it to get away from the real work or to see the world. I ceertainly can understand wanting to get away from TV for a weekend or a vacation, but when you're on the road for 11 months it's nice to be able to be in touch with the world by choice.

As a result we carry a sat dish, Verizon wireless Internet, a great radio and phones. It allows us to choose to on the edge of a canyon in no where Texas, or watching our home state basketball team......

We think we have it all, the wonderous world of travel or any part of the busy world we want to participate in.

In my case it allows me to be on this forum....
Honda, then you must have TV because you are living off the grid or on the road and not settled in a house. I can understand that. No problem. There are lifers living in RVs and others as Workamping so a TV is a must.

Even for those living in more dangerous areas such as Tornado Alley or the Flooding Zones or the Hurricane or even the fire Zones. Then TV/Radio are a must in case of emergencies.

But then there are cell phones you can do that. Ha.

Speaking of it, it is Cell phone and internet/computer Era since 1980's.... people can watch tv programs or movies on their computers or cell phones.. talk on the net.. and need to have one or both for GPS or trip planning next day in case they do last minute route changes due to road work or accident.

Funny, last night at Daytona 500, there was a big crash and all cars stopped. Then some of the drivers were twitting or talking on cell phones waiting for the fire and clean up finish. That helps to talk with family members that they are ok after that crash to calm them down or call their crews, whatever.

I understand the necessities but let my wife have her cell phone in case we need to call the AAA. That is all. Last year, on our trip to Lake George for a paranormal expo, we were able to use her cell to let me know where we have to go to be sure since the map on the computer showed a bit different before the trip. We got a clear one and she tells me go right or left.. no problem.
Old 02-28-2012, 04:22 PM   #35

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
S.p.o.t.

Mark,

We carry one other electronic gizmo I didn't mention...a SPOT.

Sometimes we're way out and there's no way to call AAA or anyone, no Internet, nothing and very little road traffic. In parts of Labrador you did not see another vehicle for hours. One time we just stopped in the middle of the highway and had lunch. Simply no one comes along....

SPOT has three buttons on it.

Push the first button and it reports your position on the earth via Goggle Earth to your friends and family. Push a second button and it tell a couple of trusted people where you are and that you need help but are in no danger. Push the 3rd button and they send the Royal Mounted Police to rescue you.

We bought this button for our cross Labrador trip. ONe high school computer class tracked our trip. However, the best part was that our friends got to see exactly where we were. It also has the ability to report your position continuously as you hike off in to the wilderness.

It turns out that it's not really needed for Labrador because when you start your cross Labrador trip you can go to a hotel and pick up an emergency Satellite phone and return it at the end of the road...there is no charge for this service.

The SPOT works by sending a signal up to a satellite and then the satellite transmits a return signal to CA. From their your position is broadcast depending on the priority to others. It also works on the water, actually most anywhere on earth.

A very cold device and it works on two AA batteries.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 04:29 PM   #36

If I wanted to get away from it all, I would pack a small tent and accessories in a backpack and hike to the wilderness.
(Did stuff like that for many years in the Army)

Now, I want a warm/cool camper with Shower, flush toilet, TV and any other comfortable item I can think of.
Old 02-28-2012, 04:32 PM   #37

Name: None
Trailer: None
None
DVD on a cold wet night

My wife and I have been looking at small TV for our Scamp . We don't want it for just sitting around and watching TV for hour on hour but more for watching the news and weather in the morning or at night. I see no harm to the camping culture by watching a DVD on a cold rainy evening or using a TV to check on approaching bad weather. I have seen many campers sit and play on their laptops or their kids playing electronic games all day. Is that camping? I know camping for me, now that I am in my 60's has a different definition than when I was in my 20's
Old 02-28-2012, 04:46 PM   #38

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNYEggerstobe View Post
I understand the necessities but let my wife have her cell phone in case we need to call the AAA. .
Over my travels in the past year alone I can think of various locations (including a few state and national parks) where I had no cellphone reception - probable about a quarter of my total time spent camping in the USA was without cellphone reception. One should not count on it in emergencies when traveling outside of many urban areas in NA.

The Spot the Norm mentions is one of the top selling items these days for back country hikers & skiers in my area - was actually in December on one of the big outdoor magazines top 10 list of items you should own if you spend time in the great outdoors.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 05:04 PM   #39

Name: Dave
Trailer: Bigfoot 25 RB and Bigfoot 21RB
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwin Maring View Post
Now, I want a warm/cool camper with Shower, flush toilet, TV and any other comfortable item I can think of.

Eggs - zakly!

There is NO WAY that I would ever consider subjecting my wife and myself to a trip sans the luxuries. Much rather just not go at all!
Old 02-28-2012, 05:33 PM   #40

After think it over I have come up with the following definitions:

Camping: Pack a small tent and accessories in a backpack and hike to the wilderness.

RVing: Taking all my comforts of home along with me in a Recreational Vehicle connected to my tow vehicle. My Potty, My shower, My furnace, My air conditioning, my Queen Sized Bed, my cook top, High Definition TV, my WiFi enabled personal Computer, the things I like to eat (Hay - Did I leave anything out?)
Old 02-28-2012, 05:36 PM   #41

Name: Dave
Trailer: Bigfoot 25 RB and Bigfoot 21RB
British Columbia
And things we like to drink....
Old 02-28-2012, 05:44 PM   #42

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwin Maring View Post
After think it over I have come up with the following definitions:

Camping: Pack a small tent and accessories in a backpack and hike to the wilderness.

RVing: Taking all my comforts of home along with me in a Recreational Vehicle connected to my tow vehicle. My Potty, My shower, My furnace, My air conditioning, my Queen Sized Bed, my cook top, High Definition TV, my WiFi enabled personal Computer, the things I like to eat (Hay - Did I leave anything out?)
Right on, I have often used those descriptions to differentiate between a "Camper" and a "Travel Trailer"!