Florida - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

Old 12-20-2011, 10:26 AM   #29

Name: John
Trailer: 2006 Bigfoot 25RQ
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by olhippiejim View Post
hey john we had our 2nd annual christmas campout at three rivers dec. 8th 9th 10th was alittle cold but we had 16 other trailers all decorated up we are going to have our 3 rd annual christmas campout there again next year dec 6th7th8th9th maybe you can put it on your callendar and join in with us and do spread the word,Jim & Donna & BooBoo & Yogi & The pic A Nic basket
Thanks. I added it to our Calendar but can't guarantee it. We hope to be fulltime before then and haven't a clue as where we may be. If we're around here we'll be there. I'll spread the word too.

-John

Old 12-20-2011, 10:59 AM   #30

Name: Ray
Trailer: 21' Escape - former owner of 17' "other brand."
Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alf S. View Post
Hi: Ray N...I've never met a "Parsnip" I really liked. Best try was french cut, lightly battered, and deep fried. Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
My wife parboils and then pan browns them...absolutely delicious!
My maternal grandfather refused to eat them on principle - he said he wouldn't eat anything the pigs wouldn't eat, (being a farmer, I guess he had experience in that area).

Old 12-20-2011, 12:31 PM   #31

Trailer: SCAMP
S. Florida
Florida potatoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
We have found great potatoes in Florida.
Trivia note: There is a town named "SPUDS" located in St. John's county, Florida, just west of St. Augustine. Spuds is located in the middle of a large regional growing area where one of the main ag crops is potatoes. Majority of the potatoes are earmarked for shipment to U.S. potato chip manufacturers.

Deb
Old 12-20-2011, 01:14 PM   #32

Name: Sharon
Trailer: 2005 Casita Spirit Deluxe
Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb&Sam D. View Post
Trivia note: There is a town named "SPUDS" located in St. John's county, Florida, just west of St. Augustine. Spuds is located in the middle of a large regional growing area where one of the main ag crops is potatoes. Majority of the potatoes are earmarked for shipment to U.S. potato chip manufacturers.

Deb
Dad always grew red potatoes in north Florida. I think they were rated the best for that climate.
Old 12-20-2011, 05:11 PM   #33

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Florida Reds

Last year we cooked 100 lbs of Florida reds for easter Ham dinner, $30 per 100 lbs of new reds.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 01:24 PM   #34

Name: John
Trailer: 2006 Bigfoot 25RQ
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb&Sam D. View Post

Deb
Said manufacturers put many generation owned farms in that, and the surrounding, region out of business in the late 80's and early 90's.

I once lived in a nearby town whose name translates to "cows crossing", I was held captive there until I acquired my tickets out... a high school diploma and an acceptance letter! Now I have a different affinity for places such as those and would not see it as being imprisoned but for the charm it has. The smell, is another story.

-John
Old 12-22-2011, 07:20 PM   #35

Trailer: 2008 Oliver Legacy Elite
Florida
Registry
Florida produces less than 2% of the US potato crop, for fairly obvious reasons. Soil, and climate, mainly. I don't happen to like the flavor of the local potato crops, as I'm spoiled by Minnesota and ND Red River Valley red potatoes.

However, we do have other amazing crops, enjoyed by us, our visitors, and lots of folks around the US: tomatoes in great variety, berries, citrus, and many vegetables.

By the way, I did some last minute shopping today in shorts and a tee shirt. It was 81 degrees. It is a balmy 72 on my patio right now. Somehow, it doesn't feel very "Christmasy". But, I'm used to it by now.

Sherry
Old 12-22-2011, 07:27 PM   #36

Name: jim
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape19 Prairie Schooner pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Let me hear you repeat your temperature in 6 more months!! It gets way too hot in the summer there.
Old 12-22-2011, 07:35 PM   #37

Florida
Actually the original Christmas did not have snow and cold. Maybe Florida is more like it was at the first Christmas than we imagine.

The weather has been great; we were in the pool today, water 86F. We're going to be a little sad to head west, I doubt anywhere will have these temperatures.

As to Florida crops, I'm always amazed by the range of fresh products available here and at reasonable prices.

The Tampa area has many attractions .\like the Salvador Dali Museum.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 12-22-2011, 07:35 PM   #38

Trailer: 2008 Oliver Legacy Elite
Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Let me hear you repeat your temperature in 6 more months!! It gets way too hot in the summer there.
I agree. That's why the trailer has wheels...
And, as I've said before, I never have to shovel the heat out of my driveway.
Sherry
Old 12-22-2011, 07:38 PM   #39

Name: jim
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape19 Prairie Schooner pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
I hear the winter home for the B&B Circus has some historical house tours of living in the heyday of circus life.
Old 12-22-2011, 07:40 PM   #40

Florida
Jim,

A number of people from the mid-West stay here at the Escapee Park in central Florida for the summer stating that it's no worse than Iowa cornfields....

I remeber my first August in Charleston, SC; I thought I'd been dropped in hell. The second year it didn't feel nearly as bad. In some measure you adjust to the climate.

I once had a business partner stationed in Antarctica for 18 months. One day it got up to zero and they all went outside in shorts and Ts and played football... go figure....

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 12-22-2011, 08:05 PM   #41

Trailer: Lite House
Registry
I also live near Tallahassee but am currently in Hawaii being the guest chef for a food truck. My favorite Florida vegetable? It's a toss up between okra and pork (the most mobile of the vegetable family).
Old 12-23-2011, 12:22 PM   #42

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
....The weather has been great; we were in the pool today, water 86F. We're going to be a little sad to head west, I doubt anywhere will have these temperatures....
Well then, don't leave till you're good and ready. It's your trip, don't make the mistake of over-scheduling it. Be footloose and fancy-free.

As for all this talk about red potatoes, they certainly are better than those big Idahos, but my favorite is the small, buttery, yellow-gold potatoes.

How much time do we have left? 2 Chr. 7:14
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote