Florida - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-19-2011, 08:42 AM   #21

Trailer: Trillium 13 ft 1973
another (snow) bird

We will join the parade of eggs to Florida for our fifteenth winter in the Sunshine State. See you in the Keys, fellow eggers. We'll be at Curry Hammock and Bahia Honda for most of Feb & March...then meander north to Flagler for the last two weeks of March. If you see our little green Trill, stop by for a visit....Cheers...Alistair & Inge in The Road Toad
Alistair Camelford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 04:58 PM   #22

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Bahai Honda was the spot where I decided to become an RVer.

What is your tow vehicle in that picture?

Thank you

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 06:57 PM   #23

Trailer: Trillium 13 ft 1973
my "TV"???

Norm, as you might have guessed, the avatar was staged...that is my youngest brother's Smart Car- strategically positioned where my '06 Toyota Sienna usually goes. I always wanted a Mercedes until I drove John's 3cylinder diesel with a 7 speed (an ironic reference here!!) auto transmission.
I'm pretty sure that it would not withstand a hitch, far less have the ooomph to tow anything. 60 mpg is great, but the little Swatch is fairly limited. Made a fun photo though!
The Sienna takes us to Florida (middle seats removed) with 8 feet of cargo area filled with Rubbermaid bins. Enough room for bike gear, snorkel stuff, satellite dish, clothing bins, guitar, lounger, camp chairs...etc etc. Add to that the tandem bike on the rear of the trailer, and two 12' kayaks on the Sienna roof. We don't exactly travel light for our 3 months
We're on our way in 21 big sleeps!..and hoping for clear roads on I-75
Alistair & Inge in the Road Toad
Alistair Camelford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 07:08 PM   #24

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray N View Post
What we do miss is good ripe, winter squash. We can grow summer squash, but not the winter varieties; the grocery stores never seem to have a good selection and the ones they do have are usually green. Root crops are somewhat lacking too, parsnips are looked upon as an exotic food.
Hi: Ray N...I've never met a "Parsnip" I really liked. Best try was french cut, lightly battered, and deep fried. My fav. veggie in Florida is sweet potato fries.
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 07:34 PM   #25

Trailer: 2008 Oliver Legacy Elite
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
We have found great potatoes in Florida.
I have, too, They come from North Dakota.
SherryNPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 08:12 PM   #26

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Thumbs up

My favorite Florida vegetable is "Key Lime Pie" !!
Attached Images

cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 08:44 PM   #27

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
My favorite Florida vegetable is "Key Lime Pie" !!
I like that!
Old 12-19-2011, 10:00 PM   #28

Trailer: 1973Playpac&1960Yellowstone
Florida
Cool three rivers st park

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Fazio View Post
Sounds like you guys are having a blast. We live in Tallahassee which happens to be the coldest and hottest city in the state. We missed driving over to Three Rivers SP last weekend due to prior engagements but are glad you're taking advantage of what Florida has to offer. It's true that we all forget how wonderful our own backyards are due to the daily rigmarole.

Have a great time tonight!

-John
hey john we had our 2nd annual christmas campout at three rivers dec. 8th 9th 10th was alittle cold but we had 16 other trailers all decorated up we are going to have our 3 rd annual christmas campout there again next year dec 6th7th8th9th maybe you can put it on your callendar and join in with us and do spread the word,Jim & Donna & BooBoo & Yogi & The pic A Nic basket
olhippiejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 10:26 AM   #29

Trailer: 2008 13 ft Scamp
Quote:
Originally Posted by olhippiejim View Post
hey john we had our 2nd annual christmas campout at three rivers dec. 8th 9th 10th was alittle cold but we had 16 other trailers all decorated up we are going to have our 3 rd annual christmas campout there again next year dec 6th7th8th9th maybe you can put it on your callendar and join in with us and do spread the word,Jim & Donna & BooBoo & Yogi & The pic A Nic basket
Thanks. I added it to our Calendar but can't guarantee it. We hope to be fulltime before then and haven't a clue as where we may be. If we're around here we'll be there. I'll spread the word too.

-John
John Fazio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 10:59 AM   #30

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Eggcamper / Chevy S-10
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alf S. View Post
Hi: Ray N...I've never met a "Parsnip" I really liked. Best try was french cut, lightly battered, and deep fried. Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
My wife parboils and then pan browns them...absolutely delicious!
My maternal grandfather refused to eat them on principle - he said he wouldn't eat anything the pigs wouldn't eat, (being a farmer, I guess he had experience in that area).
Ray N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 12:31 PM   #31

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp 2001
Florida potatoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
We have found great potatoes in Florida.
Trivia note: There is a town named "SPUDS" located in St. John's county, Florida, just west of St. Augustine. Spuds is located in the middle of a large regional growing area where one of the main ag crops is potatoes. Majority of the potatoes are earmarked for shipment to U.S. potato chip manufacturers.

Deb
Deb&Sam D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 01:14 PM   #32

Trailer: Aliner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb&Sam D. View Post
Trivia note: There is a town named "SPUDS" located in St. John's county, Florida, just west of St. Augustine. Spuds is located in the middle of a large regional growing area where one of the main ag crops is potatoes. Majority of the potatoes are earmarked for shipment to U.S. potato chip manufacturers.

Deb
Dad always grew red potatoes in north Florida. I think they were rated the best for that climate.
Sharon G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 05:11 PM   #33

Florida
Florida Reds

Last year we cooked 100 lbs of Florida reds for easter Ham dinner, $30 per 100 lbs of new reds.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 12-21-2011, 01:24 PM   #34

Trailer: 2008 13 ft Scamp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb&Sam D. View Post

Deb
Said manufacturers put many generation owned farms in that, and the surrounding, region out of business in the late 80's and early 90's.

I once lived in a nearby town whose name translates to "cows crossing", I was held captive there until I acquired my tickets out... a high school diploma and an acceptance letter! Now I have a different affinity for places such as those and would not see it as being imprisoned but for the charm it has. The smell, is another story.

-John
John Fazio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 07:20 PM   #35

Registry
Florida produces less than 2% of the US potato crop, for fairly obvious reasons. Soil, and climate, mainly. I don't happen to like the flavor of the local potato crops, as I'm spoiled by Minnesota and ND Red River Valley red potatoes.

However, we do have other amazing crops, enjoyed by us, our visitors, and lots of folks around the US: tomatoes in great variety, berries, citrus, and many vegetables.

By the way, I did some last minute shopping today in shorts and a tee shirt. It was 81 degrees. It is a balmy 72 on my patio right now. Somehow, it doesn't feel very "Christmasy". But, I'm used to it by now.

Sherry
Old 12-22-2011, 07:27 PM   #36

Pennsylvania
Registry
Let me hear you repeat your temperature in 6 more months!! It gets way too hot in the summer there.
Old 12-22-2011, 07:35 PM   #37

Florida
Actually the original Christmas did not have snow and cold. Maybe Florida is more like it was at the first Christmas than we imagine.

The weather has been great; we were in the pool today, water 86F. We're going to be a little sad to head west, I doubt anywhere will have these temperatures.

As to Florida crops, I'm always amazed by the range of fresh products available here and at reasonable prices.

The Tampa area has many attractions .\like the Salvador Dali Museum.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 12-22-2011, 07:35 PM   #38

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Let me hear you repeat your temperature in 6 more months!! It gets way too hot in the summer there.
I agree. That's why the trailer has wheels...
And, as I've said before, I never have to shovel the heat out of my driveway.
Sherry
Old 12-22-2011, 07:38 PM   #39

Pennsylvania
Registry
I hear the winter home for the B&B Circus has some historical house tours of living in the heyday of circus life.
Old 12-22-2011, 07:40 PM   #40

Florida
Jim,

A number of people from the mid-West stay here at the Escapee Park in central Florida for the summer stating that it's no worse than Iowa cornfields....

I remeber my first August in Charleston, SC; I thought I'd been dropped in hell. The second year it didn't feel nearly as bad. In some measure you adjust to the climate.

I once had a business partner stationed in Antarctica for 18 months. One day it got up to zero and they all went outside in shorts and Ts and played football... go figure....

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16