Florida advice - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-20-2014, 05:41 AM   #1

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
Florida advice

Have had 18 winters in Arizona, the last one alone. It's a miserable trip out there driving alone so I'm considering Florida. It's half the distance depending on which part of the state. i'm supposing an inland RV park may cost less than on either coast. Can anyone verify this idea? Beyond that, where are some interesting places or where are some places that could provide ready access to interesting places ? Anyadvice will be welcome and appreciated. Thanks
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 06:05 AM   #2

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
I live in Florida. Prices can be all over the place, depending on location. Contact a few and ask. For example, Rock Crusher Canyon in Crystal River is a bit over $2,000 for "the winter season." Includes electric, water/sewer, cable, and WiFi. Traveller's Rest in Dade City is around $900 per month. Same facilities but more in-house activities. Both on west coast but not on water. This is based on what I have been told by staff at each place. Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 08-20-2014, 06:30 AM   #3

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Bob,

We are staying in FL this winter and we plan to stay at the Escapee Park, For members it's about $500.

We have stayed in a number of parks in FL over the years and the price is determined by location. In general the cost is less inland and less north than south. When we stay for the winter we typically spend about $400 a month. We generally stay away from the tourist areas, at least 30 miles.

There is plenty to do all over FL. We live in a rural area of the state, cattle and oranges, yet there is plenty to do. Here's on example, our park is near a FL community college, they have a large auditorium, Branson class.

They have professional groups come in and perform one afternoon a week, tickets are reasonable and performances great, no night time driving, all seniors. As well they have smaller venues for jazz, and other types of music. Tremendous credit to the College recognizing an opportunity and providing a professional solution.

We have been visiting this area for 8 years and every year find new things to do. Last year we added FL's best rodeo, 20 miles from us.

FL is a tourist state more than any other. There's more to do in this state than one can ever do.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 06:56 AM   #4

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Bob
Fl. has a great state park system a few here move from park to park two weeks at a time, truly the best way to visit and get a feel for the state. Most state park sites only have water and elec. and no sewer hook up but the facility's are clean and the staff are friendly. A lot here try to attend Scamp Camp in Feb. at Highland Hammocks SP in Sebring.
Traffic on each coast between the interstates and the beaches is usually kinda of bad in the winter along with the I-4 interstate across the state. In Jan. and Feb. the best weather is usually found south of Orlando.
There are plenty of RV parks in the center of the state if that is what you desire and you can be on either coast in just over an hour. The center of the state is more laid back, less traffic and plenty of lakes for fishing. FWIW Sebring has all your major stores but not too big of a town.
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 07:15 AM   #5

Florida
FL does have a marvelous system of state parks, really great spots and well worth visiting. As well they have a number of great county parks. The difference between state parks and private parks, like every where, private parks are usually wintertime communities.

As to the road system we rarely drive Interstates in FL and we drive deep into FL. FL roads, even the back roads (3 digit roads) are usually in excellent condition.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 08-20-2014, 07:43 PM   #6

Name: john
Trailer: Compact Junior
Michigan
Hi Bob

I'm a Michigander like you, and happily spent a month in Florida last winter, an unusually fierce one all over the place!

We weren't towing a camper but put 5,000 miles on the car. From the southwest corner of Michigan to the Florida panhandle was 900 miles. So coming and going accounted for 1,800 miles.

The other 3,200 miles were going back and forth, up and down the state of Florida, visiting family and friends and staying all over the place in motels.

My first piece of advice is to get this book, it's a must have:

Florida Atlas & Gazetteer (Delorme Atlas & Gazetteer): Delorme Publishing: 9780899333991: Amazon.com: Books

Get the current edition. Has lists and contact info for campgrounds, golf courses, tourist spots, etc.

Here's some opinions formed from all the travel.....

The panhandle was nice but it was not warm. We have friends there wintering in Navarre Beach, between Pensacola and Panama City. In February some of the high temps were only in the 50's. They are spending in the neighborhood of $1,800 a month in the winter for a beautiful beachfront condo but it's hard to enjoy the beach in those temps. No doubt the temps were caused by the unusually frigid winter all over the eastern US.

We went up and down both coasts (twice on the Atlantic coast) and also spent a week in the keys, specifically Key Largo.

The keys are beautiful but we were staying in a nice hotel. The campgrounds we passed driving through the keys looked like parking lots, rv's very close together with little or no shade.

I tried to stay off the interstates and really enjoyed the scenery and driving through so many towns that weren't so touristy.

While I wasn't shopping for a seasonal campsite I got the impression that $900 a month was not uncommon for the rv resorts.

My wife and I are going back for ten weeks next winter. We'll spend a week in the keys, a week with family on the gulf coast near Venice, and 8 weeks in what I'd call a "park" model home in a resort by Sebring. We really liked Sebring. Not too big and nicely located.

Both Florida coasts are just 90- minutes or a couple hours away. Going the same distance north and south will take you to the Orlando theme parks or the Everglades and Lake Okeechobee.

Prices seem lower away from the coasts. The resort we are going to is one-third double wides, one-third single wides, and one-third rv's and is located on a chain of three small lakes.

I'm not wishing away the rest of this summer or fall but the upcoming trip to Florida will be a welcome respite from winter!

And I'm looking forward to visiting the Scamp rally in Sebring this coming February.
john madill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 08:38 PM   #7

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Lot of folks from our part of Mich. ended up around New Port Richie. North of Tampa. Know that when we have been there on visits with family there are seasonal parks in the area. I will say the traffic on 19 is pretty heavy. But between there and Spring Hill there are some nice parks, sponge docks, & flea markets. Some nice places on the coast about 30 minutes south. Not really many tourists fairly high number of snow birds. Easy drive to the tourist stuff. No idea of prices at campgrounds always stayed with family (or at motel if I could think of any excuse at all)

Loved St. Augustine as just a neat place to wander around, see the shops and the fort. Worth a day or two.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 01:52 PM   #8

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Longest View Post
Bob
Fl. has a great state park system. Most state park sites only have water and elec. and no sewer hook up but the facility's are clean and the staff are friendly.
This is accurate but just to be clear they do have a dump station available. Judicious use of the camp restroom could lead to some pretty extended periods between dumping.
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 02:35 PM   #9

Florida
Echoing Roger we stayed in the New Port Richey area parts of a couple of winters. There is a lot to do in the greater Tampa area. One favorite is the Dali Museum.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 08-21-2014, 02:46 PM   #10

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
I don't know the price, but we have gone to the KOA just off Marcos Island for winter vacation a few times. Many snowbirds stay there. We love it and hope that my medical costs don't prevent us going there this year again during vacation. Last year, we canoed the Everglades at the state park, something Collier. Only 5.00 and really neat.

On the other hand, maybe this year we might see what is around Ft. Lauderdale. We were there for a conference last year and loved it (or at least the beach). On the way back, we could stop at St. Augustine. We were there a few of years ago. The state park was beautiful, but it was SO cold. It was warmer home in Chicago that year. I had to wear my winter coat to see the fort! We also missed on the neat downtown of St. Augustine that we saw last year on a bus tour. Our favorite Renaissance singers are at an Irish pub near the fort too.

Hubby asked what we wanted to do over Xmas this year. I think I just outlined an idea he would go for .

CindyL
CindyL is offline   Reply With Quote