Florida late Oct early Nov (Newbies first trip ever need advice) - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 03-15-2017, 07:13 PM   #15

Name: theresa
Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
New Brunswick
Registry
Hi---we, too, checked into places in the panhandle earlier this winter. We got lots of great suggestions. You might like to search the forum "campgrounds" for my initial posting last fall. Every one of the replies offered personally-experienced campgrounds which made them all the more valuable.

As to not having A/C, we have wintered in central and southern Florida as well as spending November and December, all without A/C ourselves. Last year, especially, was hotter than Hades in both those months (record-setting), which I loved but my husband hated. It was extremely humid. But using our Fantastic Fan, a portable one, worked like a charm to keep things cool. In fact, we didn't even need to turn on the roof-top one. Everyone's tolerance for heat is different. But if you are near the shoreline, as was suggested, those cool breezes might just make it bearable.

And congratulations on your purchase! Making new memories in it will be so much fun.

Old 03-15-2017, 07:57 PM   #16

Name: Al
Trailer: Scamp
North Carolina
You may be surprised at the effectiveness of your fan and we've found that, other than sleeping, we spend very little time inside the camper. We have a Paha Que screen room which is much more comfortable in inclement weather or if bugs become a problem.

As to camping suggestions, Florida has a great State Park System. Anastasia, Grayton Beach, Oscar Scherer and St Andrews were all good. I thought John Pennekamp was overrated. Enjoyed the Everglades but the Keys... not so much. Juniper Springs in Ocala National Forest was really nice.

Congrats on the Scamp - Al

Old 03-15-2017, 10:45 PM   #17

Name: Dave & Paula Brown
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
It's not to late to add an air conditioner to your order.
Dave & Paula
Old 03-16-2017, 06:21 AM   #18

Name: Ray
Trailer: 2017 Scamp 16 Deluxe
Missouri
Dave,

I think you were wise to prep for AC but leave it off.

If you later decide that you have to have one, and I doubt that you will, I probably would not get the high profile 13,000 BTU unit that Scamp has been using in the past. 5,000 to 8,000 BTUs seems to be plenty for a 13 foot trailer. My friend, who has the 13,000 BTU unit in his Scamp13, says that it could freeze out an Eskimo! 😉

A lower profile and lower BTU unit would likely work out better.

Ray
Old 03-16-2017, 07:52 AM   #19

Name: Letitia
Trailer: 2011 Eggcamper
Florida
Registry
Dave,
I understand your reason to prep for -but not get- AC.....that you would not be able to store it at your current location. If you are planning to semi-retire to Florida in three years, hopefully your storage situation will change so that AC would be feasible. Having AC in Florida will extend your camping season to year-round, from the Florida Keys to north Florida. All the activities you said you enjoy will be available year-round. A great online magazine called The Florida Rambler (Google it) will provide you with plenty of information about those activities (especially kayaking), and you can search activities by location.

I have camped almost entirely in Florida, and I must say that when we got our Eggcamper (with AC), it opened up a whole new world of camping opportunities for us. We camp exclusively in the State Parks and Everglades National Park. (Still working so can't go on long trips yet, and we live in South Florida so even the Panhandle is a stretch for us.)

It's great that you have all this time to dream and plan....Happy Camping!
2011 Eggcamper #106
Letitia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 08:01 AM   #20

Name: Steven
Trailer: Casita SD 2013
NW Wisconsin
We had the factory rooftop A/C on our 1999 16 ft Scamp and have the factory rooftop A/C on our 2013 17 ft Casita. Neither A/C has
ever froze us out . Maybe Eskimos have a higher tolerance for heat
I wish Casita offered a 13,000 btu A/C , I would have bought one.
On our way back home from picking up our Casita in Rice Texas ,we camped for a couple days at the Truman Reservoir in Missouri.
It was July , with temps in the upper 90's and humidity levels of
OVER 100% . I wish we had a 20,000 btu A/C cause the one on our Casita couldn't keep up. We gave up the fight and headed due North as fast as we could . Buying a small A/C that can only cool your trailer when it's 70 deg out and your parked in the shade seems rather senseless.
Old 03-16-2017, 12:48 PM   #21

Missouri
Just my humble opinion but, I think this should be enough for a 13 foot trailer:
http://m.campingworld.com/shopping/i...e-shroud/72717

For a 15/16/17 foot trailer, maybe 13,000 BTUs or more would be right?

For a 19ft or greater, maybe even more.

Every person, trailer, and situation could be different. So, as always, YMMV.

Ray
Old 03-16-2017, 01:34 PM   #22

Name: Letitia
Trailer: 2011 Eggcamper
Florida
Registry
Our Eggcamper (17 ') came with a 5,000 btu AC, but we found that in order to really enjoy beach camping in the middle of the summer, we needed something more. We installed an 8,000 btu unit, and that does the trick. We also installed a small Coframo fan to help push the cold air to the back of the camper, where we sleep.
2011 Eggcamper #106
Letitia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 02:53 PM   #23

Missouri
Letitia,

It was kind of the same for the Lil Snoozy trailers that we looked at. 5,000 BTU was a bit too small; 8,000 BTU was much better.

Both your Eggcamper and the Snoozy are considerably larger than a Scamp13 with the front 1/3rd or 1/4th walled off for a bathroom and closet.

Still, when it comes to real extremes in heat and humidity, I understand that some folks needs and wants are different.

To each his/her own and YMMV.
😉

Ray
Old 03-17-2017, 09:06 AM   #24

Name: Dave
Trailer: Scamp 13' on order ETA OCT 2017
Colorado
Here is the post I think theresa p was talking about for people that are looking in the future.

florida panhandle campground ideas

Guess I never really considered that part of Florida it was never really on the radar or somewhere we would considering going when living in the St Pete Beach and Treasure Island area. I am warming up to it and it would make for less driving so maybe it is time to give it a try and I can save the areas further south for a future trip.

Thanks for the tip so far
Old 03-17-2017, 01:12 PM   #25

Name: Bob
Trailer: Parkliner
Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_fixer View Post
Go Gators!

I have been on the fence with getting A/C on the Scamp since it will limit our storage options and we would likely have to pay to store it if we go with A/C. I went the chicken route and selected to have it prepped for A/C so if we change out mind we can add it later.
Definitely Go Gators!

FWIW, if I were ordering today, I would probably do the same on A/C prep, for resale at the least, or a later change in desires. Not so much storage in my case, but just knowing that the places I will camp won't have electricity, and I'm not going there because I want to hear, or mess with, a generator after a day's activities. But yeah, if I changed my mind . . .
Old 03-17-2017, 09:16 PM   #26

Name: Mitzi
Trailer: LilSnoozy 12/01/16, Tug 2012 Dodge Citadel
Florida
Yeah, a lot of us grew up or lived in Florida 40 years ago without air conditioning- back when there was about 5x the green space and only about 25% of the current population. But since then FL has been built up. All that asphalt and concrete soak up heat all day long and then radiate it back all night long. And the humidity is appalling.

I went into a DIY sauna up in NW Ontario once- my Boy Scouts were doing a back country canoe trip and the stone firepit was glowing with heat, we were all holding the tarp over ourselves sitting crosslegged and the Charlie guide dumped a bucket of water on the stones. I took 3 breaths, said "I have already done this- it's just South Florida in summer", and climbed out.

Once upon a time there was a 25 degree difference between night and day temperatures. In the summer now, you are lucky to see 5-8 degree difference. Unless you are way, way out in the boonies.

I am not sure that you'll be able to carry off a trip without a/c. And due to the humidity, swamp coolers are useless. Perhaps an industrial strength fan...on nights I haven't been able to use a/c, due to power outages or whatever, I am up every two hours sponging off with alcohol. Doesn't work real well, but it's better than lying in a humid puddle of sweat.
Old 03-22-2017, 03:34 PM   #27

Name: Jim
Trailer: Scamp
Illinois
Act not needed

I simply go south in winter & north in summer , no brainer !
Old 03-22-2017, 04:24 PM   #28

Name: kathy
Trailer: 1972 Boler 13
New York
Registry
Ft DeSoto

One of the nicest campgrounds I have ever gone to is Pinellas County's Ft Desoto Park. they have 3 areas, one pet friendly, one for tents and us small eggs, and one that can fit huge motorhomes. Plan ahead to get reservations! Electric and water at each site, Bathrooms with laundry. Great beaches, and you can watch the sunrise and set there. Most of the sites are under trees to add a bit of cooling.