Florida this winter - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-25-2014, 07:31 AM   #1

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
Florida this winter

Due to the very long drive to AZ alone I've decided to give Florida a try. Initially I'll go to Zephyrhills but don't really have a reason except that it seems fairly centrally located. Does anyone have any advice on RV parks there? I'm also hoping to meet some Florida (or other states) molded fiberglass trailer owners.
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 07:35 AM   #2

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Bob,
Try to contact Honda 03842, Norm and Ginny, they winter in Florida.
Old 10-25-2014, 08:44 AM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Direct link to Norm's profile: Fiberglass RV - View Profile: honda03842

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 09:26 AM   #4

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Bob,
We are staying in FL this winter because we have purchased a unit in the Escapee's park in Wauchula, FL at the SKP Resort. We plan to resume our travels next year though our style may change.

It turns out that the Resort is not too far from the February Scamp rally that we plan to at least visit.

Though we often stop in FL, usually on our way west, for the last few years we have spent most of our FL time at the Escapee park.

We have stayed in Zephyrhills, over 170 RV parks. A nice community though a little large for us.

Don't hesitate to stop by if you're in our area. I believe the park rules allow non-Escapee friends of Escapee's to camp for a week on a space available basis. I'll send you my phone number via PM

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 07:00 PM   #5

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
170? That sounds totally unreal! What an RV city it must be.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 07:20 PM   #6

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
Zephyrhills is @30 minutes from my house. I avoid it like the plague during the winter months. The traffic is horrendous. That 170 figure probably refers to mobile home parks, not RV parks as such. Try Rock Crusher Canyon in Crystal River. Fairly inexpensive for the season and good amenities. Wauchula and Avon Park also nice areas with RV parks.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 10-25-2014, 07:52 PM   #7

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
[QUOTE=CPW;489127]Zephyrhills is @30 minutes from my house. I avoid it like the plague during the winter months. The traffic is horrendous.

LOL, where we go it's quiet, no traffic, and mostly a bunch of old snowbirds that never come out of their big rigs. Thing is it's booked up and you can't get in until someone dies or gives it up. We are reserved 4 years out and they won't let anyone have our site until we give it up. Down side is the weather is not as warm as Florida, but the quiet surroundings make up for it. Being from upstate NY we are happy just to not have to shovel snow.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 08:02 PM   #8

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
LOL, where we go it's quiet, no traffic, and mostly a bunch of old snowbirds that never come out of their big rigs.

There are quiet places in Florida but Z-Hills isn't one of them. Many people who winter here spend the first winter trying to determine where they want to make their "permanent" winter location.

Old 10-25-2014, 09:16 PM   #9

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
We have spent some time in Florida but haven't found a place where we would want to spend the whole winter. Did like every campground we tried though.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 05:59 AM   #10

Name: Tom
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPW View Post
There are quiet places in Florida but Z-Hills isn't one of them. Many people who winter here spend the first winter trying to determine where they want to make their "permanent" winter location.

That's us Carl. Good to know we're not the only ones!

We plan on snow birding for a couple months this winter. It will be our first. We're not all that familiar with FL, but our daughter and SIL moved to the St Pete area recently. We'll start out at Scamp Camp in Sebring, but plans after that are still up in the air. We visited them in April, and checked out a couple state park campgrounds. They were really nice, but you can only stay for 2 weeks in a row.

I'm told some people jump from park to park all winter. We might try that until we can find a more permanent solution near the kids. At the other end of the spectrum are the RV Parks, that looked like mobile home parks. Trailers or motor homes parked a few feet apart and not a hint of wilderness camping. There has to be a happy medium out there somewhere? Finding it will be our mission this year.

Tom
TomK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 07:57 AM   #11

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: TomK... For Feb. we will be in Ft. Myers Beach again. Then Mar. one we begin a slow hop from state pk. to state pk. northward. Trouble with Florida is every place needs to be booked and paid for a year in advance. The most popular parks we could only get mid week spaces. Kinda makes you feel like itinerants!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Attached Thumbnails
P1030511.jpg   P1030529.jpg  

Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 08:50 AM   #12

Name: Adrian
Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA
Manitoba
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alf S. View Post
Hi: TomK... For Feb. we will be in Ft. Myers Beach again. Then Mar. one we begin a slow hop from state pk. to state pk. northward. Trouble with Florida is every place needs to be booked and paid for a year in advance. The most popular parks we could only get mid week spaces. Kinda makes you feel like itinerants!!!
A year in advance! Wow, kinda makes us glad that "Escape Hatch" will be spending over a month parked at a nice small RV park outside Mercedes TX this winter, only $431 a month for the site plus power. We've never been down there so hope we'll like it. Had planned on AZ and NM but gonna save that until next year.

Adrian
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 09:19 AM   #13

Name: Tom
Michigan
Hi Alf, I'm finding that out. Weekends are tough. We have the first two weeks booked, and the last week as well, but there is a 4 week block in the middle that is still up in the air. I got some good advice from Carl (CPW), so not too worried. We might even spend a few days at Ft Myers Beach. My Sister and BIL have a condo on the beach down there. We'll watch for you. Nice pictures too! That sunset photo put a smile on our faces. Enjoy yourselves in FL!

Tom
TomK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 09:43 AM   #14

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomK View Post
Hi Alf, I'm finding that out. Weekends are tough. We have the first two weeks booked, and the last week as well, but there is a 4 week block in the middle that is still up in the air. I got some good advice from Carl (CPW), so not too worried. We might even spend a few days at Ft Myers Beach. My Sister and BIL have a condo on the beach down there. We'll watch for you. Nice pictures too! That sunset photo put a smile on our faces. Enjoy yourselves in FL!

Tom
Hi: TomK... We have a time share beside the golf course at the south end of Estero Is. Rented all our weeks in Jan. to fund our camping obsession. Here's another sunset from the beach near the Tropical Sands Resort. Night life in Times Sq. FMB!!!
Attached Thumbnails
P1030494.jpg   P1030470.jpg  

P1030535.jpg  
Old 11-09-2014, 09:50 AM   #15

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by emers382 View Post
A year in advance! Wow, kinda makes us glad that "Escape Hatch" will be spending over a month parked at a nice small RV park outside Mercedes TX this winter, only $431 a month for the site plus power. We've never been down there so hope we'll like it. Had planned on AZ and NM but gonna save that until next year.

Adrian
Hi: emers382... I'll wave each time I walk across the big bridge looking over the Gulf!!! LoL
Attached Thumbnails
P1030458.jpg