Floyd's New Ranger - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-26-2019, 01:09 PM   #21

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
Darryl,

Perhaps the Tacoma iowned was a lemon.....it happens. And my statement about Canada, well I would rather purchase from family (US) or close neighbors (Canada) rather than China or Japan.

Floyd, please don’t go away. A lot of posts are all in clean fun. I honestly didn’t intend offense. In fact, I am eagerly anticipating hearing your impressions of the Ranger. I hope it will be as good as your other Ranger.
C&G in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 01:11 PM   #22

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
[QUOTE=Darral T.;731067

Sorry to jump topics..but someone will steer it back...I too own a Scamp...but never again. Either Escape or Bigfoot or SOB. Too many "quality" problems now in the Scamps/Casitas and not sure why

We’ve owned a Scamp , a Casita and a FG SOB . If you’re searching for a fiberglass trailer without quality issues , I think you will be greatly disappointed
A higher initial cost does not translate into better build quality in our experience . We bought our 21 ft SOB because we wanted more room and better quality , all we got was more room

My opinion of the Tacoma is the same as CPW’s . I would not own / drive one if it was given to me free . I’ve read many reviews and it appears they are getting worse instead of better

Floyd made a good decision and a wise choice
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 01:26 PM   #23

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
[QUOTE=Darral T.;731070]Yeah..you have to be careful what you say on a forum as it CAN come back to haunt you. I just happen to remember your proclamations from the old Scampers/Yahoo group days. QUOTE]

I'm never gonna buy a self driving car.

I might change my mind after they take my license away.
Love my 2016 Transit Connect BTW (you missed that opportunity)

As I get older I rely more on my check book and less on my hands for car maintenance. The repair shops of today have never seen a distributor, or a carburetor. I had to shop three states over about a week to get the brake parts for my granddaughter's old Ford Probe.
Time can be treacherous and wears you down until you too are replaced.
floyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 02:00 PM   #24

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
This thread is getting hard to follow with all the mangled quotes...
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 02:22 PM   #25

Name: Michael
Trailer: Trail Cruiser
Alberta
As I said previously, I don't like Ford engines and I would never buy one. A Buddy of mine bought the same Ranger as I did but with a 4 liter engine. He had a few more horses and a little more torque but not a lot more. He used way more fuel. At a 100,000 km his engine didn't sound healthy.
Mike_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 03:17 PM   #26

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_L View Post
As I said previously, I don't like Ford engines and I would never buy one. A Buddy of mine bought the same Ranger as I did but with a 4 liter engine. He had a few more horses and a little more torque but not a lot more. He used way more fuel. At a 100,000 km his engine didn't sound healthy.
I like Ford Engines and I have fifty years of excellent records which will match or exceed anything you have ever owned.
BTW Which FORD engine did you have in your 1988 Ranger, could it be the 2.3L Lima Ohio built SOHC Pinto engine...Indestructible!

Which 4.0L are you referring to above... The older pushrod or the SOHC engine?
Both Ford, both bullet proof, but totally unrelated.
floyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 03:22 PM   #27

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
To your last thought, It is SIZE, Escape buyers want ever larger trailers, they are not likely to downsize. My Scamp has proven to be a good product.
For me, it’s not so much size but convenience. I don’t want to have to convert a dinette to a bed and back again every day. And I want a dinette where I can sit and read and drink my coffee while my late rising spouse sleeps the early morning hours away. And my “displeasure” with Scamp resulted from what seemed at the time to be an unending chain of problems, defects, or quality control issues (or whatever term one would choose to use). In reality, many of the components in all trailers are made by other manufacturers so problems with those components cannot be blamed on the trailer manufacturer.

Quote:
its just not a "one size fits all" world.
I think that this may be the best point you make, right on target! That is why some of us have Scamp 13s and others have some other trailer, and why some people love their Tacoma’s and other hate them. I don’t think anyone should be questioned or criticized for making personal choices.
C&G in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 08:14 PM   #28

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
Lots of teasing, all in good fun, Floyd. I like Fords just fine. Without a doubt they were a big step up in reliability from my previous vehicles, which were of Dodgy quality (I could predict by the odometer when I'd need another alternator on the Aries or another fuel pump on the Grand Voyager).

So, how much will it take to pry your hands off that old Ranger's steering wheel? Will $500 do it? I'm always up for a well-maintained bargain. Pictures needed, of course...
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 12:38 PM   #29

Name: Suzanne and Boe
Trailer: Casita
Washington
Floyd,
Nice looking and great choice... Ours is also on order but blue to go with Casita!
Boe and Suzanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 12:53 PM   #30

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
...Which FORD engine did you have in your 1988 Ranger, could it be the 2.3L Lima Ohio built SOHC Pinto engine...Indestructible!...
Somewhat off-topic, but I just saw this, and I'm curious.

I had a 1985 Ranger, my first brand-new vehicle, with a 2.3L 4 cylinder. Was that the Lima engine? Mine burned a quart of oil every thousand miles from brand new. Ford dealer said it's within specs and refused to do anything. Traded it at 45K, oil changed faithfully and still burning through a quart every 1K. A year or two later it resurfaced running around town blowing blue smoke. I want to like Fords, but that experience left a bad taste.

I suppose I got the odd bad one?
Old 02-02-2019, 01:08 PM   #31

Name: Kim
Trailer: Uhaul
California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPW View Post
I purchase what best fits my needs. And since when was Canada not in North America, making it not “American made.” FYI, my previous trailer was a Scamp and it was the absolute worst of 5 camping trailers I have owned. And yes, I went to Ford and found it far superior to the Tacoma I owned previously, which I can only describe as a POS. As I said, I wouldn’t be caught dead in (another) one. If Toyota wanted to “gift” me a new Tacoma, I would refuse it. I understand some people like Scamps and Toyota’s and that is fine for them, but neither is for me. Interestingly enough, I know several people who have sold their Scamps and Casitas and replaced them with an Escape, but I do not know of anyone who has sold an Escape to buy a Scamp or a Casita. There must be a logical reason for that. :<)
Sold my Escape for a teardrop and now back to a Uhaul. Sometimes the first is the best (with some upgrades)
kkinna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 01:26 PM   #32

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkinna View Post
Sold my Escape for a teardrop and now back to a Uhaul. Sometimes the first is the best (with some upgrades)

What were your reasons?
Old 02-02-2019, 01:32 PM   #33

Name: Kim
Trailer: Uhaul
California
Registry
The Escape was a great trailer. I had a 15 which was a nice size. I ultimately didn’t like the boxy look and I just like the Uhaul and all its retro history. I also wanted to downsize and try a teardrop which was nice but too small and I missed the ability to stand up. A rare 16’ VT Uhaul came up and I got it.
California Bay Area
kkinna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 03:18 PM   #34

Name: Robert
Trailer: In the market
NSW
[QUOTE=steve dunham;731074][QUOTE=Darral T.;731067

Sorry to jump topics..but someone will steer it back...I too own a Scamp...but never again. Either Escape or Bigfoot or SOB. Too many "quality" problems now in the Scamps/Casitas and not sure why

We’ve owned a Scamp , a Casita and a FG SOB . If you’re searching for a fiberglass trailer without quality issues , I think you will be greatly disappointed
A higher initial cost does not translate into better build quality in our experience . We bought our 21 ft SOB because we wanted more room and better quality , all we got was more room

My opinion of the Tacoma is the same as CPW’s . I would not own / drive one if it was given to me free . I’ve read many reviews and it appears they are getting worse instead of better

Floyd made a good decision and a wise choice[/QUOTE]
The Hilux they sell here in Australia is vastly better. Tacoma seems to be several generations old. I guess they do not have the same pressures to update it like they do outside North America
RobertRyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 03:27 PM   #35

Name: Robert
Trailer: In the market
NSW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_L View Post
I bought my first Ranger new in 1988. I sold it in 1996 with 300,000 km on it, still going strong, and replaced it with another Ranger. The 1996 is still going strong with almost 400,000 on the odometer. I bought another new one in 2011 for a retirement vehicle. I didn't retire until 2016 so it mostly just sat until last summer. I've got 8000 km on it so far.
I never liked Ford engines and would never own one. Rangers have 2.3 liter Mazda engines so they run a long time and get excellent fuel mileage. My 2011 (147hp) will tow my trailer although I don't use it for that.
The local Ford dealership suggested I replace my F250 diesel, my current tow vehicle, with the 2019 Ranger. With a price tag of $52,000 I don't see that happening any time soon!
The New Ranger has nothing to do with the old Mazda based units sold in the US.It is as big as a 2000 F150. It was designed and developed in Australia.
Non North American Rangers are all Diesel no Gas engines and have a maximum 2,700lb payload and 7,700lb towing. Will tow a fibreglass Egg Camper without even trying
RobertRyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 03:46 PM   #36

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Somewhat off-topic, but I just saw this, and I'm curious.

I had a 1985 Ranger, my first brand-new vehicle, with a 2.3L 4 cylinder. Was that the Lima engine? Mine burned a quart of oil every thousand miles from brand new. Ford dealer said it's within specs and refused to do anything. Traded it at 45K, oil changed faithfully and still burning through a quart every 1K. A year or two later it resurfaced running around town blowing blue smoke. I want to like Fords, but that experience left a bad taste.

I suppose I got the odd bad one?
Back in those days, needing a quart every thousand miles or so was quite common and, dare I say, normal. Looser tolerances in mfg the engine parts, perhaps. My Aries, Omni, and D150 from the '80s all did that, and I ran each of them 140,000 to 170,000 miles without seeing any increase in oil consumption. As for the blue smoke from your former Ranger, it was a year or two later, so who can say whether the new owner did proper maintenance? Perhaps he let it get very low on oil and messed it up. Why blame the vehicle?
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 07:07 PM   #37

Arizona
Registry
Maybe so, Mike, but I wasn’t sticking around to find out. It reminded me too much of my folks’ Dodge Omni, which was burning oil by 20K and required the usual valve job at 40K. I owned used cars before the Ranger, and replaced it with new Toyota pickup, none of which ever used more than a half quart between changes.

Sure didn't seem normal to me. It's the only vehicle I've ever owned where I had to keep a couple of quarts in the vehicle at all times. Maybe if I were a little older...

Anyway, that's a long-dead horse. This new Ranger has nothing in common but the name. I'm sure Floyd will love it, and I'm sure it will make a great tug for small and mid-sized molded trailers and fifth wheels.
Old 02-03-2019, 08:59 AM   #38

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
I think this was the era when Toyotas became "legendary", in some people's eyes anyway. My 1978 didn't burn more than a half quart between oil changes, in 2014.

There was that time in the late 70's and all through the 80's that I think Toyota was making engines to a lot tighter specs than everyone else, and that's where they picked up a ton of loyal owners. Whether modern ones stand up to that tradition, I can't say.

Looking at where they've gone (and what they cost) in recent times, I know that someday, hopefully someday a long time from now, when I do need a newer truck, I'll look at all the different makers. I'll always be partial to Toyota, but it's clear the other builders have brought their quality control and overall quality way up, while Toyotas have come down. So it seems like just about all vehicles are worth a look these days.
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 09:05 AM   #39

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
Lots of teasing, all in good fun, Floyd. I like Fords just fine. Without a doubt they were a big step up in reliability from my previous vehicles, which were of Dodgy quality (I could predict by the odometer when I'd need another alternator on the Aries or another fuel pump on the Grand Voyager).

So, how much will it take to pry your hands off that old Ranger's steering wheel? Will $500 do it? I'm always up for a well-maintained bargain. Pictures needed, of course...
I'll just say this then get out of this thread: with how much fun Floyd has jumping into threads and saying things seemingly just to get a reaction out of people, I've got no sympathy. This is said in good fun and in fact I like Floyd and his posts, but he and some others never miss a chance to jump into a Toyota thread to say something negative, so really, there's no need for anyone here to apologize.
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 04:50 PM   #40

Trailer: 2003 Scamp 16 ft
[QUOTE=steve dunham;731074][QUOTE=Darral T.;731067

We’ve owned a Scamp , a Casita and a FG SOB .

It looks like this forum has lightened up a little, years ago you would get banned for this thread!
I know what S.O.B.'s are (even worked for a few) but what the heck are FG SOB's ???
Dave Chatham is offline   Reply With Quote