Floyd's New Ranger - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-25-2019, 04:17 PM   #1

Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Floyd's New Ranger

I happened to pass by Floyd on the highway this morning. It looks like he's enjoying the new Ranger.

Maybe he bought one with that new-fangled Achates three-cylinder six-piston job under the hood? Or maybe even the Fairbanks Morse 12-banger!?!

https://www.motor1.com/news/302627/f...g-20-caravans/
In its promotional campaign for the facelifted Euro-spec Ranger, Ford says the pickup can “tow whatever the hell you want.” And even if that means you want to pull 20 caravans, the Ranger will do the job without complaining. The short 1:15-minute video at the top of this page documents the moment when the vehicle towed a 20-tonne (44,092-pound), 100-meter (328-feet) convoy of caravans on a public road close to the Millbrook Proving Ground in the United Kingdom.

Civilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 06:45 PM   #2

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
They need a video showing them stopping that set up on a long down grade.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 06:56 PM   #3

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Yeah I saw that euro commercial!I guess I should have no problem with one little Scamp13?
Say I like your Audi!
Does that rig have electric brakes electric brakes electric brakes electric brakes?

Here's what I really bought... (Mine's still on order )
Attached Thumbnails
supersaber5.jpg   supersaber4.jpg  

floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 09:28 PM   #4

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
Note the STX... which stands for Substitute for Tacoma, X (fail)

Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 10:31 PM   #5

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post

Very imaginative...

So what exactly does TRD stand for? (the only thing missing is "U"?)

My 18YO Ranger (wanna buy it?) is still more truck than a new Tacoma.
Attached Thumbnails
thumbnail.jpg ranger1.jpg   thumbnail.jpgran3.jpg  

Old 01-25-2019, 10:56 PM   #6

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Very imaginative...

So what exactly does TRD (missing the "U"?) stand for?

I understand the question when someone asks if you “CAN“ tow with a Tacoma
Why one would want to is the part that confuses me
Great looking Ranger , probably last another 20 years !
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 08:02 AM   #7

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post

So what exactly does TRD stand for? (the only thing missing is U
It could also be that STX is missing a letter, Y.” In Greek mythology Styx is the river which delineates the border of Hades, AKA Hell!
C&G in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 09:55 AM   #8

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPW View Post
It could also be that STX is missing a letter, Y.” In Greek mythology Styx is the river which delineates the border of Hades, AKA Hell!
Thanks, I guess you mean...
Tough enough to "Ford" the river Styx and drive through hell for three days then safely home again, keys in hand! (pulling 14 trailers?)

STX...Street Truck Xenization, Sport Truck Xyresic, STranger
Actually I don't think it stands for anything, just something marketing thought sounded cool a few decades ago.

Do you know the actual origin of the word "Snark"?
Old 01-26-2019, 10:56 AM   #9

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Cant believe it! All I heard is that he said he'd never own another new vehicle .

Ford & Chevys can try all they want, they will NEVER top Toyota. Especially the bullet-proof Tacoma they were building when Ford gave up on the Ranger and still building it when they (Ford) decided to try their "luck" at it again.
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 11:04 AM   #10

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darral T. View Post
Cant believe it! All I heard is that he said he'd never own another new vehicle .

Ford & Chevys can try all they want, they will NEVER top Toyota. Especially the bullet-proof Tacoma they were building when Ford gave up on the Ranger and still building it when they (Ford) decided to try their "luck" at it again.
That's all you heard? Soon as you write the check, its used!!
Old 01-26-2019, 11:17 AM   #11

Florida
Registry
Quote:
Thanks, I guess you mean...
Tough enough to "Ford" the river Styx and drive through hell for three days then safely home again, keys in hand! (pulling 14 trailers?)
Of course I did! I too, owned a Ranger and am now on my second F150. I wouldn’t be caught dead in a truck with a bow tie logo or a “toy” truck. Dearborn/KC all the way. And I would have said for as long as desired, not limiting myself to only 3 days.

FYI, “snarkiness” was the furthest thing from my mind.
Old 01-26-2019, 11:25 AM   #12

Name: Ben
Trailer: Casita
California
Quote:

Been trying to offload that ranger for 18 years and still no takers? Maybe try throwing in a free toaster.

I'm interested to hear what you think of the turbo 4 in the new one. I know it's a better towing motor than the NA motors but The longevity and replacement cost scare the heck out of me.
Fireballsocal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 12:18 PM   #13

I guess it's different with RV's... I see you didnt buy "American"-made by buying an Escape!? Sounds a little double-standard to me.

Quote:
Of course I did! I too, owned a Ranger and am now on my second F150. I wouldn’t be caught dead in a truck with a bow tie logo or a “toy” truck. Dearborn/KC all the way. And I would have said for as long as desired, not limiting myself to only 3 days.

FYI, “snarkiness” was the furthest thing from my mind.
Old 01-26-2019, 12:33 PM   #14

Oh well...it is sharp and I DO LOVE the > "new smell"! <

Quote:
That's all you heard? Soon as you write the check, its used!!
Old 01-26-2019, 12:37 PM   #15

Name: Michael
Trailer: Trail Cruiser
Alberta
I bought my first Ranger new in 1988. I sold it in 1996 with 300,000 km on it, still going strong, and replaced it with another Ranger. The 1996 is still going strong with almost 400,000 on the odometer. I bought another new one in 2011 for a retirement vehicle. I didn't retire until 2016 so it mostly just sat until last summer. I've got 8000 km on it so far.
I never liked Ford engines and would never own one. Rangers have 2.3 liter Mazda engines so they run a long time and get excellent fuel mileage. My 2011 (147hp) will tow my trailer although I don't use it for that.
The local Ford dealership suggested I replace my F250 diesel, my current tow vehicle, with the 2019 Ranger. With a price tag of $52,000 I don't see that happening any time soon!
Mike_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 12:37 PM   #16

Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darral T. View Post
I guess it's different with RV's... I see you didnt buy "American"-made by buying an Escape!? Sounds a little double-standard to me.
I purchase what best fits my needs. And since when was Canada not in North America, making it not “American made.” FYI, my previous trailer was a Scamp and it was the absolute worst of 5 camping trailers I have owned. And yes, I went to Ford and found it far superior to the Tacoma I owned previously, which I can only describe as a POS. As I said, I wouldn’t be caught dead in (another) one. If Toyota wanted to “gift” me a new Tacoma, I would refuse it. I understand some people like Scamps and Toyota’s and that is fine for them, but neither is for me. Interestingly enough, I know several people who have sold their Scamps and Casitas and replaced them with an Escape, but I do not know of anyone who has sold an Escape to buy a Scamp or a Casita. There must be a logical reason for that. :<)
Old 01-26-2019, 12:46 PM   #17

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireballsocal View Post
Been trying to offload that ranger for 18 years and still no takers? Maybe try throwing in a free toaster.

I'm interested to hear what you think of the turbo 4 in the new one. I know it's a better towing motor than the NA motors but The longevity and replacement cost scare the heck out of me.
I really should not be responding to this thread anymore.
The old saying is...Never wrestle with a pig, you both get filthy and the pig likes it!
At least Civilguy meant no harm.

To answer your first question, No I haven't and I am still reluctant to offer it up for sale, but garage space is at a premium.
I was a bit concerned about the 4.0L in the 2001 Ranger because of the timing chain design looked awful scary, but the power and low end torque was irresistible. Turns out it's still runs perfect and doesn't use oil and has required no unscheduled maintenance in 18 years.

The engine family of the 2.3L has been in service for almost a decade.
The 2.3L came along for the Mustang 5 years ago, then the Focus RS after that. There have been some improvements over time and the Ranger now has a twin scroll single turbo, forged crank and rods and a few unique mods for truck use.
Any concerns about the use of turbos have proven to be unfounded.
Direct injection for gas engines for better fuel management is relatively new with associated fears but the entire industry is now moving in that direction, and ecoboost F-150s are the most popular trucks in history.
I'm still studying the carbon on intake valves issue which is becoming less of a concern as knowledge increases.
I'm not only confident but excited at the prospect of owning this engine and the truck itself.
We must understand that this is not the old 300CID six cylinder from 50years ago.
My biggest concern was returning to the expense and reliability of an automatic transmission. The new 10SPD gives me hope in that field.

I have always said that you NEVER know whether you've had a really good vehicle until the day after you sell it.
I'm a LOT more concerned about the onboard electronic entertainment and HVAC controls and touch screens than I am about drive trains.
Old 01-26-2019, 12:51 PM   #18

You said: "And since when was Canada not in North America, making it not “American made.”

Sheesh.... United States then! It's made in Canada...NOT the US...nor US labor/dollars! If they're the same then why "border patrol"???

Sorry to jump topics..but someone will steer it back...I too own a Scamp...but never again. Either Escape or Bigfoot or SOB. Too many "quality" problems now in the Scamps/Casitas and not sure why.

First time in my LIFE hearing a "Tacoma" being junk. I've heard PLENTY more on Ford Rangers and others....had a bro-in-law who's Ranger gave NOTHING but trouble. Ask him if he'd have another one. Water under the bridge I know..but can I ask what year model the Taco you owned was?

Quote:
....Interestingly enough, I know several people who have sold their Scamps and Casitas and replaced them with an Escape, but I do not know of anyone who has sold an Escape to buy a Scamp or a Casita. There must be a logical reason for that. :<)
Old 01-26-2019, 12:56 PM   #19

Yeah..you have to be careful what you say on a forum as it CAN come back to haunt you. I just happen to remember your proclamations from the old Scampers/Yahoo group days.

[QUOTE=floyd;731066]I really should not be responding to this thread anymore.
Old 01-26-2019, 01:04 PM   #20

Registry
Quote:
I purchase what best fits my needs. And since when was Canada not in North America, making it not “American made.” FYI, my previous trailer was a Scamp and it was the absolute worst of 5 camping trailers I have owned. And yes, I went to Ford and found it far superior to the Tacoma I owned previously, which I can only describe as a POS. As I said, I wouldn’t be caught dead in (another) one. If Toyota wanted to “gift” me a new Tacoma, I would refuse it. I understand some people like Scamps and Toyota’s and that is fine for them, but neither is for me. Interestingly enough, I know several people who have sold their Scamps and Casitas and replaced them with an Escape, but I do not know of anyone who has sold an Escape to buy a Scamp or a Casita. There must be a logical reason for that. :<)

To your last thought, It is SIZE, Escape buyers want ever larger trailers, they are not likely to downsize. My Scamp has proven to be a good product, Your Escape is beautiful and may well prove itself over the next decade, but the point remains that they appeal to different travel styles.

You have IMO, the best "fullsized" pickup on the market, If they hadn't produced the new Ranger I still would not be buying an F-150. Like your trailer, its perfect for your comfort and lifestyle but its just not a "one size fits all" world.