Flying J Dump Stations - Change in Policy - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-07-2010, 12:03 AM   #1

Trailer: Bigfoot 25 ft / Dodge 3500HD 4X4 Jake Brake
(I received this email)

Flying J Dump Stations - Change in Policy
05/06/2010

We have heard from some traveling Escapees that a few Flying J truck stops with RV dump stations are beginning to charge a use fee. We contacted Flying J and received the following statement from their customer loyalty department:

To continue providing waste dump station services at Flying J, we are instituting a $10 fee to customers using this service. This has become necessary to cover the increasing costs of offering this amenity. These additional fees include:

• Escalating expenses associated with normal usage and the misuse and abuse of waste dump stations
• Rising costs from local sewer treatment service providers
• Increasing expenditures linked to stringent corporate responsibilities

For our best customers, those that are members of Flying J’s Frequent Fueler and RV Real Value clubs, a $5.00 dump station coupon will be added to their card based on fuel purchases. The club member must present their card to cashier at point of purchase to receive the discount.

We appreciate your business and look forward to continuing to offer the best services and facilities in the industry.

Flying J also stated that the program is being implemented at all Flying J locations in the next week. Some will be monitored by a device that will allow you to pay at the dump, others will require the customer to come inside to pay for the service. Be aware that you will soon be required to pay a fee to use the RV dump at Flying J.
Bigfoot Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 09:31 AM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I can see that coming from a number of free dump sites. I have seen people pull up to a dump sight and just pull Black and Grey handles and dump on ground and just let it run to drain. Some of those spots are really dirty. I hate it when I pull in and have to clean up the last person's mess.
Old 05-07-2010, 12:29 PM   #3

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
the Flying J I recently resided (:-P) in (Lodi) already had the policy in place. There were card stations at each dump, just like at a gas pump.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 07:15 PM   #4

Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Mike: Thank you for the information. I also confirmed this with Flying-J, today.
Larry Lecuyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 08:41 AM   #5

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp Deluxe 2007 and 40' Allegro Bus
Send a message via AIM to RSchleder Send a message via Yahoo to RSchleder
We ran into the $10 charge at FJ last week. To say the least, I'm not a happy camper as we have one 30 miles south of us that we filled at and dumped tanks! We have a 40' motorhome in addition to our 13 ' Scamp. I have a hard time pulling the motorhome in and buying 125-150 gal. of diesel fuel [at] $3.00 a gal ($400 -$450) and then getting charged $10 to dump my tanks. I certainly understand charging folks that pull up, use the dump and pull back out. IMHO, I think a sliding scale on how much fuel/gas you purchase determines the amount you pay to dump--the more fuel, the less charge for dump station. FJ's are no longer on my list of fuel stops. Perhaps if we send a message by boycotting them due their change of attitude on being RV friendly , they'll get the message! Then again, probably NOT.
Old 05-19-2010, 09:32 AM   #6

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
[b]This has become necessary to cover the increasing costs of offering this amenity. These additional fees include:

• Escalating expenses associated with normal usage and the misuse and abuse of waste dump stations
• Rising costs from local sewer treatment service providers
• Increasing expenditures linked to stringent corporate responsibilities
This situation is not limited to Flying-J. The San Diego Metro KOA used to offer free dumping to San Diego County residents. I used to go there all the time when I stored the Fiber Stream at work, just to buy propane and dump tanks. Now that I store the Fiber Stream in my back yard, I dump at home. I will probably still buy propane there, as they have a good volume discount.

I don't begrudge these Businesses their fee structure.

Old 05-19-2010, 12:08 PM   #7

Trailer: 2005 16 ft Scamp
I do think the charge is pretty high myself. I think it should be free if you get ten gallons of fuel or something like that.
Monica M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 07:40 AM   #8

Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Quote:
This situation is not limited to Flying-J. The San Diego Metro KOA used to offer free dumping to San Diego County residents. I used to go there all the time when I stored the Fiber Stream at work, just to buy propane and dump tanks. Now that I store the Fiber Stream in my back yard, I dump at home. I will probably still buy propane there, as they have a good volume discount.

I don't begrudge these Businesses their fee structure.
I just completed a 30 day cross country/Canada trip. Flying J has in fact implemented a charge for dumping. If you have a Flying J RV club card, it's free, the charge is $5.00. Plus the card allows a 1 cent per fuel gallon discount. No card and a $10.00 charge for dumping. Water fill is still allowed. Their "potable" water outleta appear to have been turned off at most stations. Do not be mislead by this, as the "non-potable" water faucet is in fact drinking water. The "hose" that is attached by Flying-J is the culprit in posting the non-potable water sign. This was stated by several station personnel to me. They instruct you to simply attach your own drinking water hose to fill tanks. So far, Flying-J has not recognized they can profit from charging for a water fill! Flying J fuel prices are very high. You can purchase fuel a lot cheaper at local gas stations. I found diesel to be 8 to 9 cents more than local gas stations. Another source of dumping is Love's truck stops. SOME, not all have a dump station. The one's that do, charge $5.00. They have a coin operated device at the dump site. When the money is inserted, an electric cover over the dump pipe releases from a locked position and you lift the lid to dump.
Larry Lecuyer is offline   Reply With Quote