foil faced bubble wrap insulation lies - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-14-2015, 12:46 PM   #21

Trailer: Bigfoot 21.5 ft (25B21RB)
I have had 2 trailers with the Reflectix/Ratfur insulation - a Scamp and a Casita. I lived in Alaska at the time and frequently camped in sub-freezing temps. It wasn't hard to stay warm in such a small space, but the furnace cycled constantly. When boondocking, my battery would only last one night or less. Later, I moved to hot and humid Arkansas with the Casita. The AC compressor cycled constantly trying to keep the trailer cool. I did cover the windows with Reflectix from Lowe's and it was a big help to reflect solar heating. But clearly, the insulation was not effective for hot or cold weather.

Now that I am back in a cold climate, I just need a better insulated trailer. My Bigfoot has foam insulation (including the floor) and double pane windows and I can use it through the November hunting seasons. I understand that the majority of members on this forum don't camp frequently in extreme conditions, so it is a non-issue for most of you.

The most interesting tidbit in the article was that the bubble-wrap insulation wasn't any cheaper than a superior foam insulation. Just for the sake of saving energy for heating and cooling, I would like to see all FGRV factories use a higher quality insulation. I don't know why they couldn't glue some closed-cell foam to the walls instead of the bubble wrap. Scamp and Casita famously keep doing everything the same way for decades. I believe Oliver and Escape are the only other manufacturers that offer a higher quality insulation.
David and Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 12:58 PM   #22

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Clearification Please

Quote:
Originally Posted by David and Nancy View Post
I have had 2 trailers with the Reflectix/Ratfur insulation - a Scamp and a Casita. I lived in Alaska at the time and frequently camped in sub-freezing temps. It wasn't hard to stay warm in such a small space, but the furnace cycled constantly. When boondocking, my battery would only last one night or less. Later, I moved to hot and humid Arkansas with the Casita. The AC compressor cycled constantly trying to keep the trailer cool. I did cover the windows with Reflectix from Lowe's and it was a big help to reflect solar heating. But clearly, the insulation was not effective for hot or cold weather.

Now that I am back in a cold climate, I just need a better insulated trailer. My Bigfoot has foam insulation (including the floor) and double pane windows and I can use it through the November hunting seasons. I understand that the majority of members on this forum don't camp frequently in extreme conditions, so it is a non-issue for most of you.

The most interesting tidbit in the article was that the bubble-wrap insulation wasn't any cheaper than a superior foam insulation. Just for the sake of saving energy for heating and cooling, I would like to see all FGRV factories use a higher quality insulation. I don't know why they couldn't glue some closed-cell foam to the walls instead of the bubble wrap. Scamp and Casita famously keep doing everything the same way for decades. I believe Oliver and Escape are the only other manufacturers that offer a higher quality insulation.
I have heard that Casita's only insulation is the foam backing the floor carpeting they put on the walls. This is first I've heard of them using a Reflex type insulation.
Old 08-14-2015, 02:40 PM   #23

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
I have heard that Casita's only insulation is the foam backing the floor carpeting they put on the walls. This is first I've heard of them using a Reflex type insulation.
And likely the last.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 02:52 PM   #24

Trailer: 1990 Scamp 16 ft
FYI. R values per inch.
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2015-08-14 at 3.49.11 PM.jpg  
John Linck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 04:58 PM   #25

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Smile Our experience

We have elephant hide with a closed foam backing on our walls. Our electric heater keeps it toasty inside. We have had below freezing temps at night in Yuma where the fountain next to our trailer froze.
The only problem is the condensation. A person breathes out a remarkable amount of moisture. We counter that by having plastic or other non-permeable sheeting over our cushions as a vapor barrier or the water will condense inside the cushions and cause mold. We leave a window cracked and the roof vent open partially depending on the cold. This helps but does not eliminate the moisture. A dry climate, read Arizona, helps a lot, too. We use a yoga mat and a shooting mat on the walls next to the sleepers. That, and sleeping bags keep us comfortable.
Then there is the sopping up in the morning.

ColoradoENERGY.org - R-Value Table

Material - - - R - - Thickness
Fiberglass Batt 11.00 3 5/8"
Fiberglass Batt 13.00 3 1/2"
-(high density) 15.00 6 1/2"
Fiberglass Batt 19.00 5 1/4"
-(high density) 21.00 8"
Fiberglass Batt 25.00 8"
-(high density) 30.00 9 1/2"
Fiberglass Batt 30.00 12"
-(high density) 38.00 12"

Notice that you need a 6 1/2" thick for R15

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote