folding bikes? opinions please - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 12-28-2005, 09:19 AM   #1

Trailer: Bonair Oxygen 2002
Does anyone have a folding bike? Do you like them?
Would you use it around home too?
I haven't biked in years. To go to anything in our town it's uphill both ways really, and the hills are high and steep-the town is on the forks of 2 rivers.
I don't know if the price is good or not or if the product is any good either.

Back in a minute when I figure how to add an attachment
jean
http://www.campingworld.com/emailframe.cfm...thanks/3137.cfm
go to internet specials
norman and jean mulloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 09:42 AM   #2

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
We bought a Dahon folding bike last year from CampingWorld. Fits on the floor-board in the back seat of our truck. Has 6 gears which can help on hills; good quality bike taking into consideration it's a compact; easy open and close (no tools needed).

Drawbacks: It's a small bike (20" wheels) so it's ok for short distances; tires are smooth so good to ride on pavement, but not so safe on gravel/dirt.

Would recommend going to CampingWorld and test riding/closing them (call first; they had one assembled when we bought ours). Shop around for best price; I would be reluctant to buy one on internet before checking it out.

Steve & Terri
Steve & Terri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 10:00 AM   #3

Trailer: 1999 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe ('Inn EggsIsle')
We have had Dahon Folding bikes for about 15 months and ride them all the time as we live in an adult retirement community. We have the 6 sp Boardwalk model that we bought from ebay and as I remember they were about $225.00 ea and $25.00 shipping for both. They have some on ebay that are built in China and I suspect the Dahons are also built there. The paper work says they are designed in America but nothing about being built here. They do have the Shimano shifters on them which seem to be very reliable. We take them camping with us all the time. The grankids think they are the coolest bikes there is
Old 12-28-2005, 10:06 AM   #4

Trailer: 1987 Bigfoot 17 ft / Touareg V8
I good friend and camping buddy bought one last year, his first time he used it, it broke because of faulty construction and he broke his femor. Several weeks in hospital in Calif. and a special flight home leaving his rig 1,000 miles away. He is now in a law-suit for whatever he can receive. Others in my camping organization have dumped their bikes. They would not even try to sell them because of the problems and liabilities they might face. I guess there is some sort of history of problems. Do a search before you buy one. Just my two cents if that buys anything anymore. UFDA
JOHN PAUL EVANS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 10:47 AM   #5

Trailer: 2003 Scamp 16 ft
I used folding bikes for years, the only thing that happened to us was, remember this was 30 years ago some kid ask us if they were real bikes? I told him no we left them out in the rain and they shrunk. they worked real well when we broke down out in the plains of Kansas one hot summer day we just hopped on them and pedeled off to town.
Larry Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 03:57 PM   #6

Trailer: Bigfoot Rear Queen 25 ft
I good friend and camping buddy bought one last year, his first time he used it, it broke because of faulty construction and he broke his femor.

These bikes have a weight restriction usually set around 250 lbs....or lower. Was your friend beyond that by anychance?
Time K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 04:28 PM   #7

Trailer: Boler 17 ft 1977 / 04 Explorer Sport Trac
Hi,
We bought two of these folding bikes one year and a half ago for our camping trip to California. We used them only a few times inside campgrounds. They have five speeds and are good quality built. We carry them in our Explorer Sport Trac closed box. Difficult to use on gravel and dangerous on soft sand. Here at home we use our old standard 21 speeds. These folding are a compromise for transportation, but not a great deal for biking on long distance, specially if there are hills. If I had to buy them again, I would not do.
Raymond Brodeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 04:35 PM   #8

Trailer: 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel Dlx / 2001 Ford Ranger 4x4
I also have a Dahon.. mine is an older one with just 3 speeds but ya know what?? I love it and its great to take camping! I do ride it sometimes to the store or just around when weather permitting
Christi V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 06:29 PM   #9

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 2003 16 ft
Registry
I have the 6 speed Dahon Boardwalk from Camping World and I've been pleased with the quality. Good for riding to the camp store if it's not too far away. Not a cross country or off pavement bike. I don't use it at home. It was a luxury purchase and I'm satisfied.
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.
Steve L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 06:37 PM   #10

Trailer: 1992 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Jean, you might check out the reviews on the different bikes at Epinions. Over the years, I've found that site to be very helpful.

Epinions - folding bikes

Nancy
Nancy in Oregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 08:12 PM   #11

Thanks for the feedback.
The "epinions" didn't list a Workman's report. Perhaps its not a popular brand. No camper's world near us so I'd better wait awhile
jean
Old 12-28-2005, 09:07 PM   #12

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Jean, I've had a Giant Halfway now for a couple of years and just love it. It doesn't fold quite as small as some of the really expensive bikes, but it only lists at $600 and I bought mine for $300 new. They ride like a full size bike, but they're really fun.

I did a LOT of research before I bought the Halfway, and found the Workman's bikes. They're steel, HEAVY, and IIRC, made in China, and are NOT of particularly good quality. If you plan to ride the thing more than a block at a time, invest a little more money and look at the Halfway or similar quality Dahon bikes. I also have two early Dahon 16" folders, but the later model Dahon bikes with 20" wheels in the little higher price ranges are quite nice quality.

Bicycles are one area where you truly get what you pay for, and better quality components make for a signficantly better riding experience.

Roger
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 10:41 PM   #13

Trailer: Former 1989 Bigfoot owner
We discovered easy cruiser folding bikes at Toronto RV show last year.
5 speed, rear carrier, rear suspension, quick release seat and handlebars, full fenders etc.
20 inch wheels. Two are stored in their bags back of the pickup.
We paid $179 + tax each. We enjoyed them in campsites and day tripping in Presquille Prov Park (lots of trails). In other words, good for camping, short trips.
I would prefer a full size bike for longer rides.
I am looking to sell these for $120 each. One is Red, the other is Gold color.
Attached Images

Harry Gaudier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 06:18 PM   #14

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Look at the Dahon. We have two of them (single speed). Use them every chance we get, even around home. We also have large full size bikes, but the little ones are a lot more fun.

They are very well made, we are not small people and find them comfortable and sturdy.
They also pack inside our tow vehicle well.

First one was ordered off the internet, second one we picked up at a Camping World store. Paid less than $150 for each of them, watch for a Camping World sale.
jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 08:42 AM   #15

Great. Thanks for all the info. Looking at bikes now is like looking at the new seed catalogues! They promise spring before winter really sets in.
jean