Foliage trip to northeast - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-07-2014, 03:15 PM   #1

Name: Jack
Trailer: Casita
Texas
Foliage trip to northeast

Depending on a lot of circumstances, we are considering a possible RV trip to the Northeastern U.S. to view the Fall foliage. We will be traveling with a small dog and want to find places to park the trailer and then make daily trips to look at the sites in our tow vehicle. We noticed a lot of RV parks are closed that time of year but would like to ask if anyone has made a similar trip and would be willing to share any information about their experiences. We will leave from Texas and want to see all of the New England states with a return trip via the Falls in New York. This trip may be as early as this Fall or it may be in 2015. We are just dreaming and planning right now but all suggestions will be appreciated and copied to our own computer files.
J.R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 04:20 PM   #2

Name: Chris
Trailer: Scamp 16
New Hampshire
Your trip would not be complete without driving the Kancamagus Hwy in the White Mountains of New Hampshire. There are state campgrounds along the route and plenty of hiking trails and waterfalls to explore. The campgrounds do not offer hookups though, but there may be a few in nearby North Conway or Jackson with more amenities that are still open.

We stayed at Pine Knoll Campground last year in late October. It was mostly full-season residents but everyone was friendly and the sites were clean and showers hot.

If you like rural fairs (livestock competitions, tractor pulls, bake offs, and other fun events), there is the Fryeburg Fair Sept 28 through October 5 and Sandwich Fair October 11 through 13.
chuyler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 05:23 AM   #3

Name: Bob
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA
W. Mass
Agree with Chris, Columbus day weekend is a good weekend to be here. Keep in mind the leaves turn earlier the farther north you go, you can time it to work your way south. After the White Mts, you can catch Rt 2 east in northern Ma. then Rt 7 south. I'd shoot for early Oct in the Whites. As far as campgrounds are concerned, there are a few out there open after Columbus day which is when many close up, but you need to search around for them and I've heard they fill up. You could probably get some suggestions over on the big rv forum in the campground section.
Old 05-08-2014, 07:22 AM   #4

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
The Adirondacks will be in bloom, late September and the KOA in Lake Placid is open until October, 26, 2014. It is a real nice cg and neat little town.
Old 05-08-2014, 09:11 AM   #5

Name: Jerry
Trailer: Oliver Elite II
Ohio
Campgrounds in the fall

Narrows Too near Acadia and Bar Harbor in late September or early October. Full hookups on the Ocean. Great deals late in the season. We stayed for a week for $125.00 which in this area is really good. This was 3 years ago.
Boomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 01:34 PM   #6

Texas
Tour

I sure appreciate the responses to my question about places to visit. I have taken all of your responses and filed them away in my Casita travel folder and now we just need to set a date and outline our journey from Texas through this beautiful area of our nation.

Again, thanks for the responses and if anyone else has more suggestions, they will all be appreciated.
Old 05-14-2014, 08:19 PM   #7

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
On the way home you can enter Shenandoah NP at Front Royal Va. and take the Blue Ridge Parkway (BLP) 450 mi. to the Great Smokey Mountains NP and end up in Cherokee N.C.
The Cherokee Egg Meet (2nd weekend Oct). is usually near the peak of the leaf season on the southern end of the Parkway. We usually catch the leaves on the northern end of the BLP on the weekend before then go to Cherokee for the Egg Meet.
Check out www.blueridgeparkway.org for detailed info. There are plenty of Campgrounds along the route.
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 06:06 AM   #8

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Eggcamper / Chevy S-10
Registry
I also appreciate all the responses since my wife and I are also considering joining the "peepers" this fall.
Ray N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 07:29 AM   #9

Name: Roamin’
Trailer: 2018 13’ Scamp Standard, formerly had a 2005 13’ Scamp standard
New Hampshire
Just outside of Brattleboro, VT and minutes off of I-91 exit 3 is a nice quiet campground that accepts dogs. Hidden Acres, in Dummerston, VT. We have several agility trials there each year, and it's a very nice place to camp.
DogHaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 10:06 AM   #10

Trailer: Escape 17 ft Plan B
Registry
One of my favorites is a hike along the waterfall trails in Rickett's Glen State Park in PA. More photos here.
Attached Thumbnails
ASE_1212.jpg   ASE_1230.jpg  

ASE_1178.jpg  
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 12:50 PM   #11

Texas
Thanks again

We have been on our Casita initial trip and I haven't been on here in a while but I want to thank everyone again for all the contributed responses to my request here. Looks like we will have a longer journey than originally plannned so that we can get in as many sights as possible. Many thanks again and again!
Old 05-23-2014, 03:41 PM   #12

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doghaus View Post
Just outside of Brattleboro, VT and minutes off of I-91 exit 3 is a nice quiet campground that accepts dogs. Hidden Acres, in Dummerston, VT. We have several agility trials there each year, and it's a very nice place to camp.
And just up the road is a nice KOA, we go there twice a year for a vintage camper rally. And a little farther up the road by exit 4 is Curtis's chicken barbecue where you'll find Curtis cooking chicken over an open fire.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote