Food Stored in Camper - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-08-2006, 12:33 PM   #1

Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot 5th Wheel Deluxe
While reading through the Impulse Camping topic, I noticed several of you store food items in the camper between trips. We live in southeast Louisiana and don't leave any food in the camper. Between the threat of varmits (ants, bugs and rodents) and hot interior, we don't want to invite trouble. Are you able to store food in the camper because of your climate or do you have some good methods to protect the food?

Thanks in advance for any recommendations.

Nita
Nita F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 01:34 PM   #2

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Our food stored in the trailer is inside a plastic tub with a lid that seals. Also the food inside the tube is sealed in the containers it was purchased in. Some stuff like granola bars, and other snaks are sealed is zipper bags. I don't see any difference in leaving food in the trailer than leaving it in the pantry.
Old 12-08-2006, 09:16 PM   #3

Trailer: 2002 Casita Freedom Deluxe / 2007 Nissan Frontier King Cab
The only time my wife and I have had any trouble whatsoever with bugs in the traile was when we stayed at Huntington Beach State Park in SC. By our second day, we realized that a colony of ants had invaded and had headed straight for the pantry where we keep the sugar and such. We have it all sealed, but they were searching diligently. When we left the park, we took several dozen of them with us. Next time we go to that area, we'll be sure to take a can of ant-killer to spray by the door, which is where they were coming in.
BOBSMITH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 09:26 PM   #4

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
Yes, In So. Cal in the flatlands, ants are the # 1 pest.

When I lived in Corona, I actually had to put the dog food dishes in a tin and make a Moat around them.

I am temporarily living in my trailer in that area right now, and I have nothing in here that an ant could get into.. meaning my sugar is in packets, my dried goods are just that DRIED (Pastas only) and everythin else is in the fridge or a can.

The little buggars even know how to get into tupperware, so I don't have ANYTHING they want out. (Candy is thier favorite thing.. and mine )

Where I LIVE, and my trailer is most of the time, there are no bugs or mice. Have you considered living at 4600 feet?
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 12:32 AM   #5

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Yes, In So. Cal in the flatlands, ants are the # 1 pest.

When I lived in Corona, I actually had to put the dog food dishes in a tin and make a Moat around them.

I am temporarily living in my trailer in that area right now, and I have nothing in here that an ant could get into.. meaning my sugar is in packets, my dried goods are just that DRIED (Pastas only) and everythin else is in the fridge or a can.

The little buggars even know how to get into tupperware, so I don't have ANYTHING they want out. (Candy is thier favorite thing.. and mine )

Where I LIVE, and my trailer is most of the time, there are no bugs or mice. Have you considered living at 4600 feet?
OK, Gina, What did you do with the chipmonks and ground squirrels?
Old 12-09-2006, 07:36 PM   #6

Trailer: 17 ft Casita Liberty Deluxe
Bob,

We love Hunnington. Were the ants coming up the tires and over to the door? Maybe I should spay anound the tires?

Rand:-)
Rand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 07:41 PM   #7

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
Byron, No Chipmonks, and our squirrels are the large economy size tree squirrels.

They are not interested in my candy.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 10:58 PM   #8

Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot 5th Wheel Deluxe
Gina,

I am a flatlander by choice and married to a die hard southeast Louisiana native. So moving to 4600 feet isn't an option.

Anyway, we can't even leave a drink spill in the car without being invaded by ants. Boy do I despise those rascals! They know everytime I am in the yard and run to find me.

And yes, the moat trick for outdoor feeding is a must here. Put a drop of liquid soap in the moat water to break the surface tension and they will drown. Otherwise you will find ants walking on water to get to the food.

From the replies so far, I think most of you live in areas where varmits aren't a big problem. Count your blessings!

Oh well, I guess I'll just have to haul all our food to the Scamp when we go camping.

Thanks everyone.
Nita
Nita F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 06:01 AM   #9

Trailer: U-Haul
Here in Texas ants are "bad" but we also have just about any varmet you can think of.
The wife normally packs all of our stuff in plastics ( jars, zip bags, tupper ware, etc.) but i found something that works better than any thing.

i carry a 1 bl block of hardend sugar and when we pull in to a place i stick the block underneath some one elses trailer and all the bugs / varmets are drawn away from us !

( its a joke people ! ) gee whizz
Terry G. is offline   Reply With Quote